Trouble tubing 3 wk. calf

Help Support CattleToday:

TK

Reaction score
We have a 3 wk. old heifer that is looking very gaunt and we decided to supplement her with replacer we had here. The cow has cancer eye and either isn't producing enough milk or we have also seen her allow other calves to nurse and hers isn't getting enough. Either way, we will be seperating her and her calf soon but for now I am trying to keep the heifer hydrated. For a first time tuber, I think it went fine for a few times and we got 3 pints of replacer into her each time. This last time, though, as soon as I got the tube down (steel tube with ball on the end) watery, greenish liquid came spewing back out the tube. I pulled the tube out and tried again. Same thing. It doesn't look milky at all. I decided not to force more liquid into her. She still looked gaunt so I didn't think she would have been tanked up on water but it's possible. Was I doing something wrong? Is this normal? Somehow I need to get more into her.

Stomach juices. At least I think so. :lol: I've seen it before, never had one die on me from tubing so I just pass it off as an oddity and don't worry about it. :p

I wouldn't worry about keeping the heifer HYDRATED -- if there's water available for the cow the calf can drink too. What she needs is milk and/or grain because she needs more nutrition. Try giving her a bottle to drink from, rather than tubing her with the milk replacer.

Thank you Milkmaid! I was hoping I'd hear your expertise. I tried the bottle and a bucket several times. Finally gave into tubing when the mosquitos were going to carry me away. So would you have given her the replacer anyway when the juices were flowing out? I worried about overfilling her. I agree she needs nutrition. I think she's given in to water and grazing what she can. She tries nursing often but sure isn't looking good. I know she's not feeling great. She is the only one that will go hide in the shade somewhere while the rest of the herd and calves are all together. She is also very easy to catch which isn't normal for 3 weeks old either. Thanks for your help!

Do you think it would do any good separating her mother from the other's and putting her and her mother together away from the rest? You can still supplement the calf with milk replacer while she nurses her mother.

I'm like you...I've never seen anything like the stomach juices coming back up. I'd have freaked...I'll admit it.

Alice

You say she's not feeling good. Are her ears droopy, does she stand around tucked up, and have you taken her temp?

I wouldn't worry about over filling her. My vet told me that one can "put" 2 gallons of fluid into a calf that age. More if they have very watery scours and it comes out faster than one can put it in.

Also what kind of replacer are you using? Should be at least 20/20, and no soy. Is she scouring? Sounds to me like maybe she didn't get colostrum and/or is possibly sick. Have you taken her temperature to make sure she isn't fighting something?

I would try tubing her with some electrolytes also maybe boost her energy level and if she is scouring then would help to rehydrate her.

Like MM said, wouldn't worry about the green contents, could be she is nibbling on some grass during the day. I have had stuff come back up the tube, just means your in the right place.

We will be seperating the cow and calf from the rest soon and I will be able to see if the cow has enough milk or not. Her ears are not droopy, her temp is fine and she is not hunched or anything. She is just not real active. Every time I tubed her, she urinated so I know that much is working properly.

Cheyenne - 2 gallons at one time? Wow. I am using an All Milk 20 replacer and she is not scouring. Not sure what else I can do for her.

I'm with Milkmaid.. I wouldn't waste the effort of tubing her. At 3 weeks old, she can drink water on her own. However, she apparently isn't getting enough nutrition, so you need to either supplement her with milk replacer, or get her on feed. If you can pen her and her mom for a few days before you ship the cow, you could get the heifer on feed.

Good luck!

TK":kwgbc0q4 said:
So would you have given her the replacer anyway when the juices were flowing out?

Yep...they'll go back down. :lol: :p

Might try a shot of Vitamin B to stimulate her appetitie - might make it easier to get her to drink from a bottle. Good luck! :)

Sorry, should have been more clear. That is 2 gallons/day, not at each feeding.

If she isn't scouring though, 2 gallons/day is probably not required.

If you want to try her on the bottle, maybe try putting a little syrup or molasses on the nipple until she gets the idea. Or put some calf starter or feed into her mouth with your hand.

Does she have any suck reflex at all?

Cheyenne":sd796rxf said:
Does she have any suck reflex at all?

Sure she has a suck reflex, she just knows the difference between an artificial nipple and her mothers tit. It's often very difficult to transition a calf from it's mother to a bottle because of this - especially when the mother is still there and talking to the baby.

Latest posts