Trouble finding Rye and Ryegrass in South?

Help Support CattleToday:

I haven't heard of problems getting it but I have heard of some high prices. I was told last week of $20 a bag for wrens rye and $12 for coker oats.

Got another month before we seed any winter grasses here. Lane, how do you like that coker? I was thinking of trying it this year but I may be a bit too far south

Hook the cockers are fairly good but tend to be get more rust. I am in talks with a local dairy of growing some horizon oats for them to be put up as high moisture hay.

last time i was at our coop they 3 or 4 pallets full of TAMBO rye grass.but its way to dry to risk planting this year.

Caustic Burno":31420roh said:
Local feed store had it packed dang near to the ceiling a week ago . I bought a ton.
Must be expecting rain or you have a lot of garden hose..... :p

Caustic Burno":1h10xwru said:
1982vett":1h10xwru said:
Caustic Burno":1h10xwru said:
Local feed store had it packed dang near to the ceiling a week ago . I bought a ton.
Must be expecting rain or you have a lot of garden hose..... :p

Well I am only going to plant the bottom pasture, if we get a heavy dew it will run down hill.
Gosh....almost forgot about those, it has been a long long time since we have seen one of those too...

Well,I bit. I planted 20 acres of rye and oats. Probably money thrown up a goats a$$. Got it in the ground after the last rain ( the only rain we have had ) . I am sure it will germinate but might die after that.

papavillars":3owg6bwk said:
Well,I bit. I planted 20 acres of rye and oats. Probably money thrown up a goats a$$. Got it in the ground after the last rain ( the only rain we have had ) . I am sure it will germinate but might die after that.
well dont feel to bad i just seen my cousin at the coop today an he was picking up his 2nd load of TAMBO rye grass an crimson clover.he is throwing away $2000 or more gambling on rain.but he has money to flush.id rather spend that money to feed the cattle.

The drought down south wiped out most of the southern rye crop (straincross rye's) and that has now but a strain on the northern rye supply. Talking grain rye's, not ryegrasses. Annual ryegrass use has been up this year as well, but there is a pretty good supply.

Latest posts