Trees and fence

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":2g4shhhb said:
greybeard":2g4shhhb said:
2L-garden-hand-held-pressure-sprayer-pump.jpg_200x200.jpg
That's the little squirter that crapped out with diesel in it after just a few minutes. The gaskets on the pump part got so snotty and soft they just fell off.

get the chemical spray bottles at walmart or TS they hold up pretty good to bleach and degreaser should hold up to diesel

I'll have to look at the brand name on the one I got from one of the area feed stores. It was one Jogeephus recommended. I've used it with diesel mixed with both Tordon22k, Remedy Ultra and Tordon RTU.
(I believe RTU by the quart is the only way to get Torodon without an applicator's lic)

M-5":2405j1rg said:
dun":2405j1rg said:
greybeard":2405j1rg said:
That's the little squirter that crapped out with diesel in it after just a few minutes. The gaskets on the pump part got so snotty and soft they just fell off.

get the chemical spray bottles at walmart or TS they hold up pretty good to bleach and degreaser should hold up to diesel
The ones I had were made for spraying herbicides, got them from Lowes.

RanchMan90":1e5i4hwj said:
The neighboring woods are almost impermeable horseback, I just leave the sale tags on calves any more to make them easier to locate. I love a good challenge trying to contain my hedge fund on the hoof :cowboy:

Do you run a lead cow or lead steer with each group of calves?

I had a huge limb from a pecan tree that got struck by lightning knock out a piece of fence down in my creek bottom. We are going to try to fall The tree towards the creek but going to be hard to get to it cause of the brush. Wish we had tried it sooner.

Bright Raven":1zhevo49 said:
callmefence":1zhevo49 said:
We don't ever run less than 6 barb on perimeter. If it's in the woods 8 .
You got a couple of extra wires to catch limbs and still have a fence.
The 14 gauge high tensile barbwire is good in this instance as well.. course nothing is going to stop a full size tree.

Oh apparently if you pour out enough feed or have tall enough grass you don't even need a fence. ;-) 8) :mrgreen:

I am using my cost share this year to add to my perimeter fence. The fence contractor has given me an assessment. It was a bit above his normal rate but I agreed. There will be more bracing and he is putting the posts closer together. Here they drive treated wood post.

Has Kevin gone up on his pricing for everybody or is this just a surcharge for the aggrivation factor of putting up with you? :D

TennesseeTuxedo":2wefcfdn said:
Bright Raven":2wefcfdn said:
callmefence":2wefcfdn said:
The 14 gauge high tensile barbwire is good in this instance as well.. course nothing is going to stop a full size tree.

Oh apparently if you pour out enough feed or have tall enough grass you don't even need a fence. ;-) 8) :mrgreen:

I am using my cost share this year to add to my perimeter fence. The fence contractor has given me an assessment. It was a bit above his normal rate but I agreed. There will be more bracing and he is putting the posts closer together. Here they drive treated wood post.

Has Kevin gone up on his pricing for everybody or is this just a surcharge for the aggrivation factor of putting up with you? :D

where's that dadgum like button

TennesseeTuxedo":1koio573 said:
Bright Raven":1koio573 said:
callmefence":1koio573 said:

That was a surcharge for me. Fence is along a holler. Going to require a lot of turns so he has to put in more brace posts. :D

Stocker Steve":3q5ebpgi said:
RanchMan90":3q5ebpgi said:
The neighboring woods are almost impermeable horseback, I just leave the sale tags on calves any more to make them easier to locate. I love a good challenge trying to contain my hedge fund on the hoof :cowboy:

Do you run a lead cow or lead steer with each group of calves?
I turn my dry nurse cows out with them, it does help settle them a lot. I think my next step will be smaller receiving traps (10 acres) with single strand electric to keep them from exercising so much.

Bright Raven":18r8jgx1 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":18r8jgx1 said:
Bright Raven":18r8jgx1 said:

That was a surcharge for me. Fence is along a holler. Going to require a lot of turns so he has to put in more brace posts. :D

Ask him if he has any interest in coming back to our place in Warsaw for a week or more of steady fencing please.

So what should I with this treeline fence most cost efficiently? Wire panel, electric, or just move this fence back? I'm ready to put this thing to bed :D

Got a 1/4 mile of fence cleared and 1/8 mile of panels up so far. Best solution I could come up with to irreparable fence without a dozer.

RanchMan90":gsal5ctz said:
Got a 1/4 mile of fence cleared and 1/8 mile of panels up so far. Best solution I could come up with to irreparable fence without a dozer.

That seems like a expensive fence. Those pannels are 20$ here.

pricefarm":zsb4g0vr said:
RanchMan90":zsb4g0vr said:

that's what I was thinking , 5 strands of HT with springs would have been my choice and whole lot of spray to burn about 4' on each side

pricefarm":30k7y3iq said:
RanchMan90":30k7y3iq said:

True, it's not cheap. It came out to $1.25 a foot with me installing it. Fence crews get 75¢ - $1 a ft for labor. Sleeping at night knowing I won't have to fetch cattle out of those woods again, priceless. :D

M-5":1k0umcbl said:
pricefarm":1k0umcbl said:
RanchMan90":1k0umcbl said:

that's what I was thinking , 5 strands of HT with springs would have been my choice and whole lot of spray to burn about 4' on each side
What kind of spray do you recommend for this application? That's my plan to keep this maintained

True Grit Farms":36pvoe24 said:
It's going to be expensive and time consuming when a tree falls on that fence.
Time and cost effectiveness were 2 main goals. The panels should take more of a lickin and have ease of service. If one were to get smashed I can replace just it, not have to patch and stretch wire. Certainly not a one size fits all application though. :2cents:

Latest posts