Tree roots in yard

Help Support CattleToday:

stocky

Reaction score
I have some big elm and maple trees in the yard, around the house, that are between 50 and 100 years old. Their roots lay on top of the ground and tear the lawn mower up every summer. I thought it would be good to haul in some river bottom topsoil and cover the roots, but was told that after the roots have been exposed, to cover them will cause them to rot and will kill the tree. Has anyone heard of this or had this problem? How is the best way to handle it, short of dozing out the trees and roots and starting all over with a new yard? Thanks

Those roots are important to the tree as they play a role in helping the tree get air to its roots. You could put about 2" max of compost over the roots and feed the tree at the same time. If you put more than that you run the risk of killing the tree. Not because of rotting, but by blocking the trees ability to gather nutrients and get air thru the roots. The deep roots gather water, and can penetrate clay. The shallow roots gather nutrients and require aeration (sp) in that process. The shallow roots are in the top 12" of the soil.

My parents recently killed a 100 plus year old oak tree by smothering one side of the roots with concrete and filling in the other side with clay......now they have to take it down limb by limb and dig out the stump without harming the concrete. Not to mention the loss of shade.

Why not use roundup and kill all the grass beneath the tree's canopy, and then give the tree a wide ring of mulch (but not against the tree's trunk), about 2 to 3" deep? Then, you don't have to mow that area, and you are helping the tree.

LauraleesFarm":27ho1km3 said:
Why not use roundup and kill all the grass beneath the tree's canopy, and then give the tree a wide ring of mulch (but not against the tree's trunk), about 2 to 3" deep? Then, you don't have to mow that area, and you are helping the tree.

+1

I know nothing about maples and elms but I have done this with other trees with no problem. You can plant flowers around them also.

Stocky thats a great question in which I can answer as I am a certified arborist. Lauralee has given you alot of good info but here is a few things I would like to point out. If you are trying to avoid cutting under the tree and you put mulch down you will need to put it down so thin that grass is gonna come back through pretty quick. I also would not use the commercial mulch as its treated with chemicals if anything I would find a local tree company and get chipped mulch but refer back to my point of grass is gonna come through it regardless.The absolute max should be 2" nothing more. I have to agree about the helping the tree there is alot of people that think mulch will help every tree if you put mulch around it that is not necessarily the case when it comes to the trees that roots spread across the top of the ground. If you put compost mix on the roots in a thin layer yes that would help the tree. The bottom line is those roots are for gathering air you lay down and let someone partially smother you and you tell me how it feels. I know alot of people spray round up aroud trees and I have done it myself but I do not spray around trees with exposed roots and don't get it on the tree trunk. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Thanks for the info and advice. There are 10 trees and the elms have 5-6 roots that are probably 6-8 inches in diameter going out 20 feet or so from the tree. The maples have root masses that are more like 50 feet in diameter that are smaller roots, but still stick up 4 inches or so out of the ground. All the roots are flat on top from the mower skinning them over the years with the mower set as high as it will go. The roots make the yard unusable for any recreational activity, and actually unsafe for walking, so it sounds like there is no remedy short of bulldozing out the trees and the roots and starting all over, just hate to do that with trees that have been here all my life.

If ya think those are bad, I have a cypress tree right next to a water crossing and cypress knee knobs are all over where I have to drive to cross that part of the pond. It's like driving over a bed of little boulders. I'd get rid of it but it's the only cypress on the whole 124 acres.

How about taking a stump grinder to the roots in the late fall, or early winter?? Trees are hardy if you mess with them at the right time, and if you mess with them at the wrong time their dead.

highgrit":2lkyr69n said:
How about taking a stump grinder to the roots in the late fall, or early winter?? Trees are hardy if you mess with them at the right time, and if you mess with them at the wrong time their dead.

High not a good idea that will for sure kill the tree it opens it up to diseases,insects etc.It can cause top death and rot the bottom of the tree. Its like if you go outside and your cold and someone cuts your blood vessels.. It may not die right away but it will die no doubt. I see this all the time and have to come take a tree down because someone has done this. I have had countless number of people who have done that and tried to put tar on the roots to seal them and other stuff. Think of it like this if someone shaved half of your legs off what would happen to you?

Latest posts