Treats for doing what you ask

Help Support CattleToday:

Do you give food treats during training sessions?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
We pasture when they're not being used everyday in a large pasture with a creek and lots of willows - I have always given treats when they come to the whistle - just lazy - hate walking through there looking for them all - I can just stand up top and whistle and count them as they straggle out and head up to the gate for their snack - I just use alfalfa pellets - I don't know why they think it's special - but they do! When they're working I don't treat - and I try not to feed them right after I put them away after working - I want them to get a drink, have a roll in the grass and relax for a few minutes first - so they don't get used to racing back to the barn to eat.

But I have had a horse or two get away from me in the mountains or come untied from a picket overnight and such and I can usually (note, I say usually) just whistle and they come runnin' for the snack!

sjr725":3pls46d5 said:
We pasture when they're not being used everyday in a large pasture with a creek and lots of willows - I have always given treats when they come to the whistle - just lazy - hate walking through there looking for them all - I can just stand up top and whistle and count them as they straggle out and head up to the gate for their snack - I just use alfalfa pellets - I don't know why they think it's special - but they do! When they're working I don't treat - and I try not to feed them right after I put them away after working - I want them to get a drink, have a roll in the grass and relax for a few minutes first - so they don't get used to racing back to the barn to eat.

But I have had a horse or two get away from me in the mountains or come untied from a picket overnight and such and I can usually (note, I say usually) just whistle and they come runnin' for the snack!
[/quote

Now,that last part is what I mean about "could save your life,or the horses"

Never when working them or training them. I only give them an oatmeal cookie once in the evening when I bring them up to the barn.

I did however have my horse slip loading in my new trailer and then he was thinking real hard about if he wanted to get back in so I offered him a cookie and he walked right in.

flaboy?":3vj0epcy said:
I did however have my horse slip loading in my new trailer and then he was thinking real hard about if he wanted to get back in so I offered him a cookie and he walked right in.

That is one of the hardest things to get through for me. A couple of years back my gelding slipped in the trailer and went down. He loads fine now but it took alot of time and effort to get him back to loading in the trailer. I should say he loads okay not great, still working on it, he won't walk right in, it takes 3 to 5 minutes.

Alan

Alan":26mg7uut said:
flaboy?":26mg7uut said:

That is one of the hardest things to get through for me. A couple of years back my gelding slipped in the trailer and went down. He loads fine now but it took alot of time and effort to get him back to loading in the trailer. I should say he loads okay not great, still working on it, he won't walk right in, it takes 3 to 5 minutes.

Alan

It was kind of funny. When I first brought this trailer home I left rear door open. It is a swinger/slider combo. Both horses walked up looked at it and walked inside to look around. Both at the same time. Figures the first time I need to haul him in it he slips huh?

I was kinda in a hurry and this boy can get excited so I just grabbed a cookie rather than fight with him.

Latest posts