Treats for doing what you ask

Help Support CattleToday:

Do you give food treats during training sessions?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Alan

Reaction score
How many of you give treats to your horse during training sessions? Is it okay to do in your opinion. I'll hold mine for a few post... although I'm sure some of you know my opinion already. Got this thought from the "feet problem" post. What is spoiling a horse?

Alan

Given in a timely fashion and not overdone, treats are a good way to reward a horse for doing the right thing. My barrel horse refused to take the bit when I first bought him. It was a struggle every day to bridle him up. I tried giving him a small treat as soon as he would take the bit (yes, with the bit in his mouth - oh, horrors!) and it didn't take but a day or two before he was asking for the bit.

Giving treats and spoiling a horse are two different things. You can give a horse too many treats and turn them into nippers, and you can certainly spoil a horse without ever forking over a treat. That being said, spoiling a horse with good and proper care is one thing. Allowing a horse to "run over you" and thus creating a spoiled horse is a . . . well, it's a horse of a different color. :lol:

I use treats for my horses, I bought some that were real hard and my old 22 year old couldn't eat them so I found some that were like cracker texture apple flavor he loved them...he I gave treats to just because .. I didn't have to ask this horse twice to do anything, wish I would have found him many years before.. Bless your soul "Gigaboo" may you rest in peace.
I am also starting with 2 yearlings..one my Arab mare gave birth to last August and the other I rescued from a kill buyer at the sale barn, wish me luck with them! I have never had this experience before but I am finding out quickly that the colt that was with mom all winter is alot harder to handle than the one that was taken away from mom at the sale barn.
Cathy

Alan":21talidr said:
How many of you give treats to your horse during training sessions? Is it okay to do in your opinion. I'll hold mine for a few post... although I'm sure some of you know my opinion already. Got this thought from the "feet problem" post. What is spoiling a horse?

Alan

Depends on the horse. I've been known to 'bribe' a horse or two with treats in certain circumstances, but other horses I would not even consider it.

i give treats at random for the most part, like maybe i'm just happy seeing all of them in the pen standing around looking at me and i'll grab a scoop of sweet feed for them.

during training i don't give them as a reward for doing what i've asked - that's their job! i also don't give treats after a ride, i don't want them to associate going home with getting something special. but, like msscamp i have on occasion used a treat to bribe a horse, but never as a training aid.

A treat for comeing to me when I whistle-- Anywhere,any time..Could save your life,or the horses.
NEVER let one reach in your pocket for a treat..leads to nipping..Always on your turmes(sp) because you want pony to have it,not cause it wants it..

hey peg, "treating" them for coming when you whistle is a pretty sharp idea! i might have to try that. does it work most every time?

Did for me-- Just never lie to the horse! When he comes,ALWAYS a treat..then you can slip the rope on and lead him off :) Same thing with a dog..When he comes to you,he is a good dog..NEVER call anything to you to be punished!!

peg4x4":2anq6mrv said:
A treat for comeing to me when I whistle--
Peg, my gelding ALWAYS comes when I call him - always has - but I also am sure to reward that behavior with a treat to his liking (apple wafers are his favorite).

In my opinion, somebody else needs to own the horse that you have to chase around the pasture and hem up to catch. :mad:

well what really got my wheels turning about "treating" them when they come when you whistle is your remark about saving your own or your horses life. i have no trouble at all catching them when they're penned up, but in a wide open situation, that trick could REALLY come in handy.

i agree with you on the dogs too, never punish them for coming to you, even if they've been running wild and you're mad at them, don't punish a dog for coming to you, cause they won't associate their bad behavior with the scolding, they'll associate the fact that they came to you.

i try VERY hard to not spoil my horses, my dogs are a completely different story...:)

I try not to give treats.
After riding or a working, I will brush my horse for a long time, massage his neck, back, and legs. I talk to him. He seems to like it, his eyes are almost closed, head is lowered, and he licks his lips. When I think I'm done and go put the brush and comb away, he follows, stops along side me, eyes almost closed, lowers his head, and lick his lips. Yeah, I would say he likes it, and I think that brushing and combing is treat enough in his book. :D

Just_a_girl":3txehxmb said:
After riding or a working, I will brush my horse for a long time, massage his neck, back, and legs. I talk to him. He seems to like it, his eyes are almost closed, head is lowered, and he licks his lips. When I think I'm done and go put the brush and comb away, he follows, stops along side me, eyes almost closed, lowers his head, and lick his lips. Yeah, I would say he likes it, and I think that brushing and combing is treat enough in his book. :D

Nice response! My horses always come to me, every time (my wife's horses I have to been almost be begging :D ). I never give them food treats for doing what I want, but I always make sure it's a good, pleasant experience. I've seen plenty of people walking around with the horses nose in the pocket they keep the treats. Although If I'm just walking or working around the barn They get plent of treats, they like red licorce (sp), apples, carrots, peppermint candy..... or even green grass. I like food treats, but not for working, you might spoil a horse. 8)

JMO,
Alan

Alan":m53y79yl said:
Just_a_girl":m53y79yl said:

Nice response! My horses always come to me, every time (my wife's horses I have to been almost be begging :D ). I never give them food treats for doing what I want, but I always make sure it's a good, pleasant experience. I've seen plenty of people walking around with the horses nose in the pocket they keep the treats. Although If I'm just walking or working around the barn They get plent of treats, they like red licorce (sp), apples, carrots, peppermint candy..... or even green grass. I like food treats, but not for working, you might spoil a horse. 8)

JMO,
Alan

thank you. :D

I like to use a gentle hand when working with my horses. I don't like others handling or riding my horses unless I see that my horses are relaxed and comfortable with the person. Because from past experience I have seen my horse tense up under a different handler or rider who was too uptight in the first place. I get a little TO if someone starts pushing and pulling on my horses. :mad:
I never want to get my horse to do something by putting fear into him. You never know when that will blow up in your face. :(
I just try to earn their trust, I don't usually have a problem. ;-)

okay, I should say that I do give my horses apples and carrots on Christmas morning. :)

No treats during training because you can set yourself up for problems in the future, especially if you have a smart horse.

Namely being you are in a situation where you can't give a treat like at a show or working or you don't have a treat to give.

The horse expects to get paid, you don't pay him and he gets ticked. A girl at another board was having a hard time getting her horse to stop and stand still. She started giving him a carrot piece when he stopped. Then he wanted two and wouldn't go. She quit the treat and he bit her foot plus threw a tremendous fit.

When working or training, a kind word and pat as a reward for a job well done goes a long way.

Horses are not dogs.

I had the farrier out the other day. He told me that he had worked on some mustangs that the owners had gotten thru the BLM. When he'd asked the owners if they were tame enough to be worked on he was assured they were...they'd given them horsey treats to tame them. :shock:

He bowed out of that gig and gave them the name of someone that was able to sedate horses to work on them.

Msscamp, btw, we now have 2 horses that we ride...this horse thing is addictive, isn't it. We still have one of the rescues (the other one had to go back after his hoof missed my head by inches). The old red horse's tumor has begun to spread and the vet seems to think it's only a matter of time until he'll need to be put down. But until then, that wonderful old guy is still enjoying life...and we're enjoying loving on him. :heart:

Alice

Drumrunner you are right.

However isn't the question do you treat when you are training?

To me giving a horse a cookie when it comes is different than giving the horse a treat when it stops, a treat when it walks over a pole, a treat when it sets up for halter, a treat when it pivots, etc...

Chippie, you are correct - that is the question. But there seems to be a wide range of opinions just in the few postings on the board. I think moderation is the key to most anything involving horses. Different people have different techniques and it doesn't necessarily make any one technique right or wrong. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. However, if it isn't working for you, or if it's causing more problems than it's solving, then you need to change your approach. That's all I'm saying.

chippie":101wtmd6 said:
To me giving a horse a cookie when it comes is different than giving the horse a treat when it stops, a treat when it walks over a pole, a treat when it sets up for halter, a treat when it pivots, etc...

I agree. There is also the problem of the horse being so occupied with the treats that he isn't paying attention to you and what you're asking.

Alice":24bqpfqs said:
Msscamp, btw, we now have 2 horses that we ride...this horse thing is addictive, isn't it.
Alice

Fortunately there is a cure - just think of what the hay will cost! :lol: :lol: I'm very sorry to hear that the end is nearing for the red horse, Alice. :( That is never an easy situation, but I'm a firm believer in them going out happy! Nipper had never had so grain in his life as he did in the several days between finding out the problem, and putting him down. ;-)

Latest posts