Transitioning to grass-fed

Help Support CattleToday:

I would think the health benefits of grassfed to grain fed beef would be very small if any. Home raised chickens or fish would be a different story.
The Omega 3 vs Omega 6 fat ratio is different. The grain fed will have as high as 20:1 Omega 6 to Omega 3. I don't know what makes Omega 6 bad that's what "experts" say. Could be those same experts who told us ALL fat was bad. I've never seen grain-fed beef consumption conclusively linked to illness.

Omega 6 has to do with inflammation.....a little inflammation is good at times, but not all over your body all the time. Wild caught Salmon is about 1:1 omega 6 to Omega 3....i heard Gabe Brown say that their grass finished beef is very close to the same ratio as Salmon.

I have a neighbor that uses only grass and organic hay on everything.
They don't deworm because their afraid of killing earth worms.
Their cattle look like crap all year long.
I don't know if I would want to eat one myself.
I try the same approach as them. I cull animals needing wormed often. Only worm as needed. Read somewhere that containing them for a few days after worning can save the worms. Keeps the shed insecticide in one spot.

These animals have had only hay since February. This picture was taken 5 minutes after I put them on grass. To me, they are thin, but fat compared to many I see in my area.

My favorite beef to date was only fed corn for about 21 days. And that was solely for ease of loading. Was 2 years old and hung at 685 pounds. Was a Limousin/Angus steer.

I've pulled animals straight off grass and had processed, our customers loved it. Talking 2 to 4 year old girls.

With the price of inputs right now, I'm exploring grass only route too. If you're managing everything correctly and cull diligently, it is very doable. But the animals have to be fat their whole lives IMO.

Attachments

• 20220417_132928.jpg
    20220417_132928.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 18
  • 20220417_132434.jpg
    20220417_132434.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 17
Apologies in advance if this is a repeated topic, but I'm new to the site.

- For finishing a steer, is pasture grass with alfalfa pellet supplement a smart idea?
- For the cow and her 3 month bull calf, is alfalfa supplement necessary or should we have them purely on pasture grass while it's growing well and save the alfalfa supplement for winter when the Central FL bahia stops growing and they're on hay?
- Are there other/better options than a pasture grass/alfalfa pellet combo for finishing out a grass-fed steer?
- If we're feeding small amounts of alfalfa pellets as supplement (less than 2% body weight), do we need to be concerned about bloat?
You've come to a fine place to ask this question. There is snarkiness because many on this forum are experienced.

To be clear -- corn/maize IS a grass. Alfalfa is a legume. As such, the terms "grass-fed" or "grass-finished" are in practice highly misleading, if not completely incorrect.

If you want to finish an animal without feeding "grain" -- you would be best served planting a legume mix (clovers/alfalfas) or feeding alfalfa hay/silage. That's my opinion.

As others have mentioned -- your cattle's genetics will have a role (perhaps a significant one) on how quickly and how well they finish on a non-grain ration.

Welcome to the board and good luck!

Thinking grass fed cattle are better for you falls in the same category as thinking you dont need to worry about your kids around cattle because they dont have horns.

I was raised in grass fed, grass finished, nuts in tact, not injected or poured on anything ground beef most my life. Not for health reasons but because the cattle didnt get touched unless they alwere being sold or butchered. They were dang near as natural as you could get with out being feral. As long as you mix the ground meat with hamburger helper or some thing else its tolerable, but not preferred.

It makes sense to me some people dont want their animals injected with hormones or antibiotics or any thing like that. Just feeding that animal some corn makes no sense at all.
I'll patiently wait for you to find where I said I don't have to worry about my kids since the cattle we bought are polled...

And if you don't enjoy grass-fed cattle, don't eat it. Or eat it with hamburger helper or dress it up for tacos or whatever you want to do to mask the flavor. But is science wrong because you prefer the taste of grain over grass?

You've come to a fine place to ask this question. There is snarkiness because many on this forum are experienced.

To be clear -- corn/maize IS a grass. Alfalfa is a legume. As such, the terms "grass-fed" or "grass-finished" are in practice highly misleading, if not completely incorrect.

If you want to finish an animal without feeding "grain" -- you would be best served planting a legume mix (clovers/alfalfas) or feeding alfalfa hay/silage. That's my opinion.

As others have mentioned -- your cattle's genetics will have a role (perhaps a significant one) on how quickly and how well they finish on a non-grain ration.

Welcome to the board and good luck!
Thank you Stickney. I don't mind the snarkiness, kind of expected it to a degree asking about grass-fed/finished. But there's beens some good suggestions and advice too. We're going the alfalfa route along with our summer bahia. It's our first time so we'll see how it goes (and tastes)!

I'll patiently wait for you to find where I said I don't have to worry about my kids since the cattle we bought are polled...

And if you don't enjoy grass-fed cattle, don't eat it. Or eat it with hamburger helper or dress it up for tacos or whatever you want to do to mask the flavor. But is science wrong because you prefer the taste of grain over grass?

Screenshot_20220419-090250_Chrome.jpg

If you make a post on here be prepared for right, wrong and all the bs in-between. If you can't handle that I suggest twitter or fb or some where of that nature where they control the info for the delicate minded.

Horns have nothing to do with temperament. Cattle rarely accidentally do any thing with their horns. They know exactly where they are like a hand. Rarely do people get gored by a horn. They get hit by the head and it does damage internally and it's down hill from there.

Cattle do not realize little people are people and not predators unless they have acclimated to them.

I threw a tub off in a pen with a new bull yesterday. When I kicked it and rolled it on its side he freaked out. He ran to what he considered a safe distance, spun around, and started snorting and pawing at the ground looking at it. It's instinct bred in to them for survival.

Last edited:
If people ever realize how good Nilgai are they will put a hurting on the cattle industry. No feed, shots, or maintenance of any kind. All natural, grass fed, grass finished, low input meat that is as good as any beef steak you have ever eaten.
What is it?

Asian antelope. They have become popular in South Texas. Supposedly really good meat. But even a slight freeze can kill them.
Yes and no. They made it fine through the ice and snow and all that here. Some are even in Alabama from what I have read. People are moving them further and further north and finding the cold does not effect them near as much as originally thought.

@JeffL916 ... please take the comments by @Brute 23 on the cattle seriously. Horns seldom actually are used by most "tame" cattle... it is the unexpected swinging around of the head that will badly hurt a person. If a cow considers someone or something a threat, they will come after you. If you are petting a cow that is super tame, and she sees something out of the corner of her eye and swings her head around, she can knock down or severely hurt a small person/kid. Horned cattle more often will use the horns on another animal than on a person. And that's to establish their "space" as much as anything. Most don't even realize that the horns would catch you as they move their heads. Yes, polled is less risk of an unintentioned hit, but an animal with no horns that is upset or being protective, will use their skull/head to try to grind someone into the ground or into a fence or barn wall...
The friendliest animal is still subject to being startled, or being protective of a calf. I have had a holstein that thought I was a threat after she calved for no good reason, try to put me though a board fence in the calving pen...
And a kick would kill or severely injure a child... and they will do that if startled or caught off guard. Cattle are a prey animal... their instincts will never be totally bred out of them.

@JeffL916 ... please take the comments by @Brute 23 on the cattle seriously. Horns seldom actually are used by most "tame" cattle... it is the unexpected swinging around of the head that will badly hurt a person. If a cow considers someone or something a threat, they will come after you. If you are petting a cow that is super tame, and she sees something out of the corner of her eye and swings her head around, she can knock down or severely hurt a small person/kid. Horned cattle more often will use the horns on another animal than on a person. And that's to establish their "space" as much as anything. Most don't even realize that the horns would catch you as they move their heads. Yes, polled is less risk of an unintentioned hit, but an animal with no horns that is upset or being protective, will use their skull/head to try to grind someone into the ground or into a fence or barn wall...
The friendliest animal is still subject to being startled, or being protective of a calf. I have had a holstein that thought I was a threat after she calved for no good reason, try to put me though a board fence in the calving pen...
And a kick would kill or severely injure a child... and they will do that if startled or caught off guard. Cattle are a prey animal... their instincts will never be totally bred out of them.
I never meant to imply that we'd be care-free just because we purchased polled cattle.
View attachment 15789

If you make a post on here be prepared for right, wrong and all the bs in-between. If you can't handle that I suggest twitter or fb or some where of that nature where they control the info for the delicate minded.

Horns have nothing to do with temperament. Cattle rarely accidentally do any thing with their horns. They know exactly where they are like a hand. Rarely do people get gored by a horn. They get hit by the head and it does damage internally and it's down hill from there.

Cattle do not realize little people are people and not predators unless they have acclimated to them.

I threw a tub off in a pen with a new bull yesterday. When I kicked it and rolled it on its side he freaked out. He ran to what he considered a safe distance, spun around, and started snorting and pawing at the ground looking at it. It's instinct bred in to them for survival.
You're correct, and i'll chalk it up to not being clear in my post. My kids are 6 and 8 years-old. Not a doubt in my mind how much damage one of these animals could cause, intentionally or not. I wasn't suggesting we'd be worry-free if they didn't have horns. But my boy has already been knocked back by the steer just flinging his head at the flies. I can only imagine how devastating it might be to catch a horn unexpectedly. So my thinking is that polled = one less worry.

For what it's worth, we visited multiple Dexter herds to get an idea on general temperament before deciding to purchase. That includes the cow/calf and steer we ended up purchasing. All seem to have good temperament and we wouldn't tolerate an animal that wouldn't tolerate people, especially our young kids.

Not trying to ruffle feathers. You're winning 11,000 posts to my 10 and I appreciate the advice and input!

Latest posts