Transitioning to grass-fed

Help Support CattleToday:

I think that the biggest differences in grass fed vs grain finished beef are the cost to the producer to carry the cow 18 to 20 months, the cost of grass fed beef to the consumer, and, of course, the flavor choice, along with all the other attributes people ascribe to grass fed beef. Most grain finished beef is on a plate before 12 months. Calf goes to the barn sale at 7 to 8 months and from there to a feed lot for 6 weeks and then to the slaughterhouse. There isn't much marbling in meat that young. Grass fed beef goes to market around 18 to 20 months once the cow has gotten past puberty and starts the process of accumulating intramuscular fat, i.e. marbling. In Spain, for example, some select restaurants only take 3 year old steers. Wagyu cattle that quite frankly look like the neighbor's angus bull jumped the fence to the Corriente cow pasture, go to market around 30 months. If anything, that is what gives them the marbling more than the breed. Now, in 20 months, a commercial producer could take three, 8 month calves to market at the same cost that it would take to raise a 20 month steer and less risk and more cashflow for almost the same profit. So why would he carry a steer for 20 months? If I wanted good grass fed beef, I might spay an older cow in the fall and slaughter her the following spring. I've often heard people say that some of the best beef they have had was old cow that aged for a month at the processor.

I'm perhaps wrong. This is just my observation filtered through the lens of my very limited experience.

I think that the biggest differences in grass fed vs grain finished beef are the cost to the producer to carry the cow 18 to 20 months, the cost of grass fed beef to the consumer, and, of course, the flavor choice, along with all the other attributes people ascribe to grass fed beef. Most grain finished beef is on a plate before 12 months. Calf goes to the barn sale at 7 to 8 months and from there to a feed lot for 6 weeks and then to the slaughterhouse. There isn't much marbling in meat that young. Grass fed beef goes to market around 18 to 20 months once the cow has gotten past puberty and starts the process of accumulating intramuscular fat, i.e. marbling. In Spain, for example, some select restaurants only take 3 year old steers. Wagyu cattle that quite frankly look like the neighbor's angus bull jumped the fence to the Corriente cow pasture, go to market around 30 months. If anything, that is what gives them the marbling more than the breed. Now, in 20 months, a commercial producer could take three, 8 month calves to market at the same cost that it would take to raise a 20 month steer and less risk and more cashflow for almost the same profit. So why would he carry a steer for 20 months? If I wanted good grass fed beef, I might spay an older cow in the fall and slaughter her the following spring. I've often heard people say that some of the best beef they have had was old cow that aged for a month at the processor.

I'm perhaps wrong. This is just my observation filtered through the lens of my very limited experience.
I think your forgetting a few steps for the grain finished animal. They go to the sale barn at 4-8 months then to a backgrounding operation for a few more months then finish in a feed yard for more than 6 weeks. I think the average slaughter age in the us is around 20 months. And grass finished animals go around 24 months. Some longer.

@Otha You are right. I forgot about stockers adding a few months to the timeline, though I think they play the biggest role in early weaned calves all the way to 6 months.

Libertygardens...No matter what age they are weaned, it is EXTREMELY rare for steers to be finished at 12 months old. Especially on a commercial feedlot. And grass finished is closer to 30 months.
I am a rare case and I do finish aCOUPLE steers each year at 12 months with a 750# carcass. But these are growth Simmental steers.

I think your forgetting a few steps for the grain finished animal. They go to the sale barn at 4-8 months then to a backgrounding operation for a few more months then finish in a feed yard for more than 6 weeks. I think the average slaughter age in the us is around 20 months. And grass finished animals go around 24 months. Some longer.
Calves that wean heavy enough do not get backgrounded they go straight on to feed.

I have yet to see a grass fed beef producer selling a 30 month steer on Craigs list. Most that I see advertised on CL as grass fed are around 18 to 20 months.
The craiglist type people may be selling them at that age but I don't think most of us would classify that carcass as "finished" if we saw it in the meat locker.

The craiglist type people may be selling them at that age but I don't think most of us would classify that carcass as "finished" if we saw it in the meat locker.
It all depends on the genetics involved. I've bred for animals that have a fat cover at 900/1000 pounds and just over a year old with only a marginal amount of grain while on pasture.

Apologies in advance if this is a repeated topic, but I'm new to the site.

My wife and I are first-time cattle owners as of a few weeks ago. We bought a Dexter cow/bull calf pair plus a 2yo Dexter steer. The prior owner had them primarily on pasture in Central FL and supplemented with some grain. My wife and I would like to transition them to 100% grass fed. Since buying them we have weaned them off the grain and this week they're purely on pasture grass (primarily bahia) with some alfalfa pellets twice a day. They seem to be doing fine so far, maintaining their size/weight and the poop looks normal. This has raised a few questions for us though:

- For finishing a steer, is pasture grass with alfalfa pellet supplement a smart idea?
- For the cow and her 3 month bull calf, is alfalfa supplement necessary or should we have them purely on pasture grass while it's growing well and save the alfalfa supplement for winter when the Central FL bahia stops growing and they're on hay?
- Are there other/better options than a pasture grass/alfalfa pellet combo for finishing out a grass-fed steer?
- If we're feeding small amounts of alfalfa pellets as supplement (less than 2% body weight), do we need to be concerned about bloat?

I've been reading up and it seems there are a million different schools of thought, but I'd appreciate any of your thoughts or suggestions. Thank you!

Apologies in advance if this is a repeated topic, but I'm new to the site.

My wife and I are first-time cattle owners as of a few weeks ago. We bought a Dexter cow/bull calf pair plus a 2yo Dexter steer. The prior owner had them primarily on pasture in Central FL and supplemented with some grain. My wife and I would like to transition them to 100% grass fed. Since buying them we have weaned them off the grain and this week they're purely on pasture grass (primarily bahia) with some alfalfa pellets twice a day. They seem to be doing fine so far, maintaining their size/weight and the poop looks normal. This has raised a few questions for us though:

- For finishing a steer, is pasture grass with alfalfa pellet supplement a smart idea?
- For the cow and her 3 month bull calf, is alfalfa supplement necessary or should we have them purely on pasture grass while it's growing well and save the alfalfa supplement for winter when the Central FL bahia stops growing and they're on hay?
- Are there other/better options than a pasture grass/alfalfa pellet combo for finishing out a grass-fed steer?
- If we're feeding small amounts of alfalfa pellets as supplement (less than 2% body weight), do we need to be concerned about bloat?

I've been reading up and it seems there are a million different schools of thought, but I'd appreciate any of your thoughts or suggestions. Thank you!
Jeff, how is your grass-fed transition going? Would like an update to see how its working out for you, what has worked and what hasn't.
I have been doing a lot of research grass finishing but don't think it will work for my situation. From what I have read it talks a lot of pasture dedicated to the finishing of calves with the right type of forage to get fat and marbling. I have tried grass-fed/finished from what I assume was just on reg. pasture grass no fat or marbling that is a no go for me. But I don't want so much fat that is just wasted.
What I have done is cut back on grain and added alfalfa hay. 10 lbs. grain and 10 lbs. alfalfa a day and free choice hay.

Thanks.

Jeff, how is your grass-fed transition going? Would like an update to see how its working out for you, what has worked and what hasn't.
I have been doing a lot of research grass finishing but don't think it will work for my situation. From what I have read it talks a lot of pasture dedicated to the finishing of calves with the right type of forage to get fat and marbling. I have tried grass-fed/finished from what I assume was just on reg. pasture grass no fat or marbling that is a no go for me. But I don't want so much fat that is just wasted.
What I have done is cut back on grain and added alfalfa hay. 10 lbs. grain and 10 lbs. alfalfa a day and free choice hay.

Thanks.
If you want to finish on grass it takes a specific kind of animal. The animals that do well in a feedlot on grain and finish at 1300 pounds are not the kind of animal you are looking for.

If you want to finish on grass it takes a specific kind of animal. The animals that do well in a feedlot on grain and finish at 1300 pounds are not the kind of animal you are looking for.
I have Angus/Hereford cross. Not really going to try to finish grass only. just don't think it will work for me. But I am concerned about adding to much fat that is just trimmed off. Using Alfalfa as some grain replacement and as a supplement for low quality hay.

Cattle have a specific growth pattern to finish. MOST cattle have to put a certain amount of OUTSIDE fat before they will put internal fat, THEN they will start to marble. A lot depends on the breed. Most British breeds have to put quite a bit of external fat before they go to next phase. Most Continental put very little external fat but most also don't put a lot of marbling.
Slight exception to British is the Angus.. puts the least external and marbles well.
Exception to Continental is Simmental - stay lean but marble extremely well.
Most alll heavy milking breeds marble heavy. All dairy are great marbling breeds.

Alfalfa does not replace grain. Alfalfa gives you the protein they need in the BEGINNING. Like from weaning to 800#.
Then they need more carbs, less protein. I feed whole shell corn. Cheapest and best source of carbs.
If you let them eat green grass vs hay, the last 45-60 ?? days, you will have yellow fat and may have a "gamey " flavor. Not sure on timing. We pull off grass last 60 days with free choice hay.

I realize alfalfa does not replace grain in the grain finishing system. Guess what i am looking for is a grass-fed/grain combo for a lack of better term. I do not like the flavor of all grass finished beef at all, but not real crazy about a lot of fat either. Looking for some grain finished flavor that is a little leaner.
I finished an angus steer last year on all grain good flavor but a lot of fat.
They are just on free choice hay, alfalfa/grain. No grass.
Jeanne what is your finishing ration of corn?

The whole discussion of finishing, especially as it pertains to flavor of the meat, is pretty moot in my opinion. I've never met a cut of beef I find unenjoyable. The way it is cooked or seasoned makes more difference than what the animal was fed, for how long, and whether it has more or less marbling.

I don't pretend to be a connoisseur. All beef from an animal I would choose to butcher for my own table has been excellent.

That said, I tend to follow popularly accepted practices to some degree. I don't butcher older animals. I make hamburger out of skinny, no fat animals and add fat from overly fat animals. I feed to get a fat cover and don't worry too much about marbling because I choose animals that are easy keepers and are younger/lighter than what feedlots produce. My costs for feeding my own freezer beef are measured in low hundreds of pounds and weeks rather than thousands of pounds and months.

Maybe there are people with a palette so cultivated that they can differentiate between oat heavy vs corn heavy rations or two months on grain vs six months... but it isn't me. And I suspect I'm included within the 99th percentile of the public that wouldn't be able to make those distinctions either.

There are soooo many variables between grass finished/fed and grain fed. This is an old thread so OP might not even see it. The waters distinguishing the two are very, very murky, aside from the omega fatty acids, and then time on grass and time on grain has an impact on the final outcome that is determined by more than just the final 60 or 120 days of the animal's life. And then, how much beef are you eating to see a difference in yourself on the omega fatty acids? The final product is one thing to consider. The way it is produced is an entirely different matter.

We grain fed a charbray steer and he was a little too fat, the last one was a longhorn red angus cross, it is how I like it, not overly fat.
Growing up my grandparents and my family would pull calves straight off the cow and have them processed, I bet they rarely weighed more than 500 lbs, the meat was always good, but mama and granny were excellent cooks, so good that you would never ask what they were cooking, because it didn't matter, it was always good.

Latest posts