Transfer of Ownership

Help Support CattleToday:

NEFarmwife

Reaction score
After having posted about female production sales and mentioning Peterson Angus not transferring ownership of cattle that was sold in March, I spoke with a few on this board privately whom said they've been unable to reach Peterson also. I only brought that up because that operation is whom I'd have preferred to do business with. They are the PA Safeguards, Fortifieds, Valors, Power Tools... for those not familiar with anything but a prefix. I really do hope that there is nothing more than a piss poor communication going on.

I called Angus Association today and they told me that there are a number of steps to get this moving in the right direction and I wanted to share that with you here. If you've been unable to get your registered angus transferred from seller to you, you can provide the association a written statement about the events.

They need it to outline the registration #s of animals purchased, a cancelled check, and/or a sales receipt. In your statement, you should detail the date of sale, how many head, # of animals purchased, the contact info to which you've attempted/made contact with seller.

They'll then attempt to remedy with the seller and if that cannot be done, a certified letter will be sent. Somewhere in that process, they'll also come look for tattoo/brand to verify your possession of said animals.

If that isn't answered to, there are "legalities" to force the seller to transfer ownership that she says, is extremely aggressive and not in sellers best interest.

I would not under most circumstances be so uptight about this but being unable to find that operation on the internet any longer or make any contact with them (return a call or text) makes me extremely nervous.

I.E. with the flooding and hardship here, I didn't sweat transfer of ownership by those who were also affected. I knew the H E double L that they were going thru.

Just wanted to pass on what I learned so that maybe it could help others.

gizmom said:
We're they in a flooded area?

Gizmom
Not to my knowledge. I know the weather pushed their sale back 3 times. I also know that them being further north, they had to deal with a great amount of snow. But the flooding, did not impact them like it had us.

When I had to do this 13 years ago once the AAA had my bills of sale and sent over someone to ID the tattoos they did the transfer themselves. I don't see any reason for them to now take the extra step to threaten the prior owners, to see if they will do something the AAA can easily do by clicking a mouse a few times.

Till-Hill said:
Facebook, website and phones shut down. Sketchy is right. Hope it was just a big misunderstanding of some sort

Phone isn't shut down. When I call, I receive his name on voicemail. But he won't respond. Everything else is obsolete. Google Peterson Angus. That is when I got nervous.

CreekAngus said:
When I had to do this 13 years ago once the AAA had my bills of sale and sent over someone to ID the tattoos they did the transfer themselves. I don't see any reason for them to now take the extra step to threaten the prior owners, to see if they will do something the AAA can easily do by clicking a mouse a few times.
Yes. We've talked about this. You made it sound fairly easy. The lady I spoke to today, had it sound like quite a process. So maybe things have changed over the years?

NEFarmwife said:
CreekAngus said:
Yes. We've talked about this. You made it sound fairly easy. The lady I spoke to today, had it sound like quite a process. So maybe things have changed over the years?
I'm also more than willing to cover the transfer fees if it means I'll get it transferred.

And for the record, I also thought that maybe there was a problem in the info I gave them. But when u go to sales records, only ONE has been transferred and that was to a semen/stud company.

I'm having the same issue with a another breeder that had a dispersal. About to go knock on his door and get the papers 😝

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Someone asked, but I'll ask again, was there a sales manager? Sales Managers can sign transfer papers (and usually it IS their responsibility).

Yes but no... family. No result.

I reached out to the regional Angus manager (for the seller) and he stated he "heard" that they dissolved but purely rumor... nothing confirmed. He did however, put me in direct contact with the director of the association.

Really sucks. We got our money and we're gone sounds like. I hope it works out for you.

Sent everything off to my contact at AAA.

Received my 3 heifers in my herd this morning. I don't believe that was AAA's handling, as the lady I sent everything to was gone this week.

If any of you are having problems getting yours transferred, I can give you the contact info I have for a few in AAA.

NEFarmwife said:
Sent everything off to my contact at AAA.

Received my 3 heifers in my herd this morning. I don't believe that was AAA's handling, as the lady I sent everything to was gone this week.

If any of you are having problems getting yours transferred, I can give you the contact info I have for a few in AAA.
I know we have some folks on this board who are very anti-Angus and anti-American Angus Association, but I will say this about them: When I have needed help with a registration issue, registration error or transfer of ownership issue, they have been very good to work with, very helpful and very understanding.

Latest posts