tranny problems

Help Support CattleToday:

certherfbeef

Reaction score
The "get around" car is a chevy bertetta. Now, we are ford folk but the occasional chev and GM has slipped thru the cracks.
Paid $100 for the beretta when hubby was working in the steel mill. Put 220,000 on it in near 5 years. It has been run hard. But problem free.

Overdrive seems to have gone out. The clutches slip and then it jumps to neutral. It goes seeminly fine in drive. Question is: how long will it continue move before dirve and reverse are affected? What goes on that overdrive and drive seem to work independant?
I know nothing about an automatic tranny. Hubby will not work on it being a front wheel drive. We probably only have $300 invested in it as it sits now. It is so fuel efficient, I hate to scrap it.

Sounds like the bands and clutches are slipping Hard to tell how much longer it will last. I'd look for a junkyard trans and service it with new filter and fluid before driving it. Make sure the torque coverter fluid gets changed also.

Thanks for the reply MPR. Problem is I'd rather service the KW than this dang little car. Probably the reason for the problems to start with. :oops:
Hubby serviced it last time cause I was buggered up.
Would you fly out and swap out the tranny for me? :pretty: :lol:

certherfbeef":3qc5wom7 said:
The "get around" car is a chevy bertetta. Now, we are ford folk but the occasional chev and GM has slipped thru the cracks.
Paid $100 for the beretta when hubby was working in the steel mill. Put 220,000 on it in near 5 years. It has been run hard. But problem free.

Overdrive seems to have gone out. The clutches slip and then it jumps to neutral. It goes seeminly fine in drive. Question is: how long will it continue move before dirve and reverse are affected? What goes on that overdrive and drive seem to work independant?
I know nothing about an automatic tranny. Hubby will not work on it being a front wheel drive. We probably only have $300 invested in it as it sits now. It is so fuel efficient, I hate to scrap it.

I had the same problem with my pontiac, overdrive apparently is not ideal to run on all the time?! I trust the man who told me this though and who showed me the slivers of overdrive in my tranny, keep it in drive and fix it asap you mabey have 100 miles or so left of it I believe thats how long mine lasted. Keep in drive, OD is gone. Sorry.

certherfbeef":20xp0dvc said:
Thanks for the reply MPR. Problem is I'd rather service the KW than this dang little car. Probably the reason for the problems to start with. :oops:
Gettin to cold there for me girlie! :lol: Besides won't be long before ya got that white stuff on the ground. :p

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2f8yadqw said:
certherfbeef":2f8yadqw said:
Gettin to cold there for me girlie! :lol: Besides won't be long before ya got that white stuff on the ground. :p

:D Cold is much better than hot. It is still proabably too out there for my taste. We had a heavy frost last night.

I'm suprised how well that little front wheel drive car gets around in the snow.

Change the trans. fluid and filter. Do not try to use OD again just run it in drive.
It may last for a long time that way, it would be worth a try.

john250":3m6ldwbu said:
Transmission replacement, done right=$1000 +/-
Value of Beretta after $1000 transmission job=$600
Please don't shoot the messenger.

I completely understand what you are saying.

Thanks to everyone for the advise.

KenB":xxf0w8rc said:
Change the trans. fluid and filter. Do not try to use OD again just run it in drive.
It may last for a long time that way, it would be worth a try.

Cert if you do this there is a product called Trans Tune or something similar to it that I would use before changing fluid & filter..

Good luck

frenchie":3hd2ld4a said:
KenB":3hd2ld4a said:
Change the trans. fluid and filter.

Cert if you do this there is a product called Trans Tune or something similar to it that I would use before changing fluid & filter..

Mechanic in a bottle products do work for many transmission problems. They make the O rings swell and/or increase the fluid viscosity. I service my tranmissions every 50K, and if they start to slip or shift poorly I then add a "mechanic in a bottle" and assume I need a new ride in 20K to 30K miles...

get it rebuilt by a pro. don't spend all weekend puttin a junkyard unit in that my not work.It's probably just as worn out as the one in there.$1000. ain't cheapbut, can you replace the car for that?OD has its own band,drum and planetary.you could put an additive in there but,why waste the money?just use brake fluid it is the same thing.you know what brake fluid does to rubber?makes it swell.But after awhile it makes it turn to mush.It never will help a steel drum,planet,clutches or band . dont fall for the marketing program of wynn's,lucus etc.believe me ,if a bottle could fix it mr.transmission,aamco and the others wouldn't be in business

certherfbeef":33332wmf said:
john250":33332wmf said:
Transmission replacement, done right=$1000 +/-
Value of Beretta after $1000 transmission job=$600
Please don't shoot the messenger.

I completely understand what you are saying.

Thanks to everyone for the advise.

A transmission rebuild on a front wheel drive for $1000??? Not around here unless you get a drunk shadetree to do it, certainly not done right/professionally! FWD automatic rebuild is more like $3k or so.

I'd say you rode that old girl to the glue factory but you can play with it. Change the oil/filter, maybe try mechanic in a can if you want, don't ever put it in OD again since I'm sure the clutches/bands or planetaries are toast and see what happens. Be sure you keep your cell phone handy with the number of someone who really likes you to give you a ride when it finally dies for good and a rope handy to drag it to the junkyard. The car simply isn't worth the cost of fixing it. What my Dad calls 'disposable cars'.

Oh, and running in drive you can kiss the great mileage goodbye. Good luck! OL JR :)

Well, I don't know if this would work on a newer tranny but I have changed the filter and fluid in them and drive it for a month or 3,000 miles then drain a 2 quarts of fluid out then put 2 and a half quarts of diesel in and let it idle warm and shift through all the gears while parked and running about 100 times....put it in all the gears and wait for it to catch then move to another gear....repeat about 100 times...(takes a while) then shut it off then flush all the tranny lines and the tranny with fresh fluid drain that (there will be little chunks of metal in the pan both times....you can flush three times if you want but this is normal...should be no metal in pan after 2nd flush) then put a new filter and new fluid in it and it should work good. I did that in a c6 and an old c4 for a friend and it has worked great for me. :cboy:

Latest posts