training

Help Support CattleToday:

Dixieangus":4qowjc9e said:
well im probably getting my red healer puppy saturday and she is so pretty. Any way i was wanting to train her to be a cattle dog not a champ but a dog that can work them. so i had an idea my cows know they get feed in the barn so i could take the dog there a few days to get it use to cattle then take it out to the pasture (on a leash) and tell it to round em up many times and keep repeating.then walk toward the cows and they know to go to the barn and follow them in after i do that a few weeks i think it will get the idea when i say round em up to get them wherever i want them.maybe a little hairy but may work does anyone like to share how they train their pups.thanks

save yourself some money buy ben means The Perfect Stock Dog video first(i didn't)
i bought several and ben means training video is the best and very simple(it's homemade but still the best)
http://www.theperfectstockdog.com

She's VERY cute!! Congratulations!! She's a real doll! :clap:

you could call her "Dixie" after your user name on here ;-)

i was thinking dixie because we are in the south..and a question do they lose all most of their white hair because under the white hair is hair like on her eye,ill keep u posted on how she turns out

did you know that they are born white?? I've raised a couple of litters and the first time I was shocked!

LOL

nobody told me they would be all white! I thought the breeding had been wasted, thought I had a bunch of mixed breed mutts! Was cussin' at my Abby like she was trampin' around :oops: :oops:
ooooohhh my bad, should have been better educated!

The patches on her will become more distinct but she won't be much different than she is now.
She'll keep that red pepper look.

One thing I would suggest, some folks believe in this and some not, but I always gave a new pup some of my dirty old sweatshirts or tshirts to snuggle with. That way they really learned my scent. You might want to try that with your pup. Don't let her chew up any of your things tho, keep plenty of chew toys and rawhide around for her to teeth on.

My last blue heeler is now about 15 years old. I had to put my male, Bubba, down a year ago due to bone cancer. Best dogs I ever had....

My current Blue Heeler (Australian Cattle Dog) is ?14. He is almost totally deaf, so we're really glad we taught him hand signals. If you go to an obedience class, they show you hand signals for stay, down, sit, etc. We raise our arm straight UP for Down. He can see that no matter where he's running cattle. As said, we use a large circular motion ending with a point with our right arm for right, and left arm pointing left for left.
I ALWAYS give our pup a body soiled t-shirt to sleep with. Mine if it's going to be MY dog, hubby's if his.
Also, I highly recommend crate training your pup. Meaning - get a crate & lock pup in it for the night or at any time you can't be watching him. Just be sure to be available to let them out often to go potty. Dogs LOVE their crate - it's their security blanket - their "safe place".

something to remember..as was pointed out..heelers are born completly white(due to the dalmation that was used in their creation..my husband says they are the only registrable "mutts" out there!) and while they gain color..they seem to DARKEN with age.

my male was almost a silver color when I got him at 5 months and when he passed away last year at 9, he was a definante BLUE..my female wasnt as light as Dakota, but she darkened as she aged..I hardly see any merleing on her now..she is almost 10.

I took my Dakota with me EVERYWHERE I could..he got extremly socialized..the only thing he never got over was poodles in full showcut..he totally wigged him out..not that I blame him :lol:

There are a good many ranchers who will not use heelers around me due to the fact they ARE so incrediably hard headed..you will have a stellar worker though if you can get them listening

Where did you get her? We have had heelers, and as everyone has said, you can't start them too early. Commands are the most important thing. We had one that would help us when we worked our cows, but he wouldn't mind us. He wouldn't get off the cows until he was ready, and sometimes that would cause a real problem. They are very stubborn. We have one now that has not been trained to do anything, when he sees us coming to check the cows, he will pick him one out and get on her, but he also knows that when I say down, I mean down. His natural instinct is just to go after them.

As I said, chasing cattle is NOT the problem - direction & obedience is! :p
Dalmation?? no - no dalmation in them.
Dingo, Kelpie & ? some type of collie?
Yes, they are born white except for areas that are permanent SPOTS. If you fan thru their hair coat you will soon see "color" under the white.
The original "true blue" would have red roan legs, and a "saddle" of red roan on their chest, and usually red dot over each eye

Latest posts