training

Help Support CattleToday:

Dixieangus

Reaction score
well im probably getting my red healer puppy saturday and she is so pretty. Any way i was wanting to train her to be a cattle dog not a champ but a dog that can work them. so i had an idea my cows know they get feed in the barn so i could take the dog there a few days to get it use to cattle then take it out to the pasture (on a leash) and tell it to round em up many times and keep repeating.then walk toward the cows and they know to go to the barn and follow them in after i do that a few weeks i think it will get the idea when i say round em up to get them wherever i want them.maybe a little hairy but may work does anyone like to share how they train their pups.thanks

DixieAngus,

get yourself some good cowdog training books or videos and follow them faithfully! Also you should be able to google some cowdog sites. Good luck :)

Congratulations on the new pup and have fun!

LazyARanch":v26nw9oo said:
DixieAngus,

get yourself some good cowdog training books or videos and follow them faithfully! Also you should be able to google some cowdog sites. Good luck :)

Congratulations on the new pup and have fun!
Agh if it was just that easy............

I have had several cow dogs through the years and some of the breeds that have made the best cow dogs were not always herders. The biggest thing I learned is most people as well as I ruin a puppy by starting them way to early.

Someone suggested books and I agree.

That dog needs to know basic commands. Sit, stay, whoa etc. First and foremost. Dad used to get them circling the truck, the tractor, the stock tank. Then the barn. He'd do it all with hand signals eventually. Then he'd break them to the cows - slowly.

You need to spend 30 minutes or so with that dog each and every day. Don't over do it.

We have owned 3 different blue heelers over the past 35 years. Great dogs. DON'T try to teach your pup to do ANYTHING with the cattle yet. If he's got any breeding behind him, he WILL chase/herd your cows.
Teach him DISIPLINE. SIT - STAY - DOWN - COME. Keep treats in your pocket at all times. When you say COME, give him/her a treat. There is nothing worse than a dog that won't come. Don't ever punish him for doing something bad when he comes to you. IF, you can put your hands on him "in the act" of doing something bad and tell him NO. But, if he's doing something wrong, and you yell no, then say COME, you still need to PRAISE him when he comes. I repeat - there is nothing worse than a dog that won't come!! and if you scold him or disapline him when he comes, he will learn not to come.
As the pup matures, hubby plays with a frisbee/ball. Makes pup stay by his feet, throws the ball, gives the command to get it, then yells DOWN - before the pup reaches the ball. Then he will release him & tell him to get the ball. You have got to be able to CONTROL him on a run. Because, they like nothing better than to "chase" cattle. The chasing isn't the problem - it's the controlling. Also, when he works with a ball or frisbee - if the dog loses sight of it, we make a large sweeping motion with our arm/hand pointing left or right and SAYING "round right" or "round left" (or whatever command you're confortable with as long as it's always the same.) This way, as he's herding the cattle, you can DIRECT him which way to move the cattle.
It's fine for you to walk him behind the cattle, on lead, and saying a command, but the absolute most important thing you need to do is teach him COMMANDS for OBEDIANCE. Your cattle will get trained to work with your dog also.
Many people see our dog work & say, "man, I would love for you to bring your dog when I need to catch my cows". Well, it doesn't work that way. If you take a stange dog into a herd, the cows just "fight" him, at first.
Good luck.

you need to get your pup LISTENING to you first and foremost before you put her on stock..espc a heeler. That is all I used to have is heelers, my male was one awesome dog..espc on nasty stock. he wasnt a working dog that I trialed, he worked on the farm or wherever I needed him too.

Heelers are tough as nails, you need to instill in them that YOU call the shots..period. obidience classes would be a GOOD start..she'll need to have a good recall, sit, down, OUT and stay at the VERY VERY basic. be fair, but firm in her training. they are stubourn dogs and have selective hearing. :) Make sure when you say say a command, you get immediate or almost immediate compliance.

THEN, after basic obidience, I would look into some stockdog clubs or clinics in your area, get a mentor..they will teach you alot!

Yes, I failed to point that out. YOU must be TOP DOG. Most people should not own a heeler because they are usually smarter than their owner & that leads to big trouble. Hopefully, you will be able to spend a lot of time with your dog. They are the smartest breed we have ever seen. And very loyal - to the whole family. Remember, they started out being bred up from the wild dingos - the pack instinct is still very strong in the breed, and the family is the pack.
We saw dogs performing on TV & an owner would count & the dog would respond after a certain number. Hubby said "I can teach him that". Went outside and in 20 minutes, he would tell our dog "You can go when I say THREE" and he would count ONE TWO THREE - dog will jump up & retreive whatever he threw before they started the trick. People are always amazed.
You will love your dog - just remember -- OBEDIENCE.
And, yes, we always took our pups to obedience classes.

Dixieangus":1loqg03j said:
so how early is to early

As soon as that dog obeys commands religiously you might start breaking him in.

It aint hard to ruin a good dog. If you are going to put in 30 minutes a day with him, the last thing you want is for him/her to turn out bad.

A good dog figures out you are trying to teach him/her something. At that point you can teach them anything. That dog needs to know who is alpha boss and he/she needs to respect the boss. When the dog is ready, you'll know. They have instincts they are bred for. They want to work them. They just need to use them in the right way. If you say "whoa!" and that dog don't whoa, you're doing it harm by taking it with you. JMHO

It doesn't hurt to have the dog with you all the time around the cattle - on lead - never loose around the cattle, until, as said, he OBEYS commands religiously. Heelers stay pup for a LONG time.

ok so obedient training while i take her around cattle ( on leash) then start on cattle. one question how to most do teach the hand sighns and what makes the dog know where to put the cattle.thanks

i have'nt decided i need help ill go take a pic and post them then someone can help me.(the people i got her from she was their favorite and they named her lulu but i aint naming her that and she dont know her name so i picking one)

I can't get there from here. Likely only your friends can see those pics. FB says I need permission.

I've had several blue heelers, and since they are more correctly called an Australian Cattle Dog, I always picked a name for them with Aussie origins, like "Sydney" and "Matilda" (commonly called Tillie!)

so, just a suggestion, find an Australian map and poke your finger on a spot with your eyes closed and there's her name!!

hehehe :banana: :banana: :banana:

You've been given a lot of good recommendations on training, and I agree with most of them.
The MOST important thing tho, you WILL need to be the "pack leader". They are extremely willful and hard-headed dogs. If you don't get their respect and demand to be the boss, you'll be the lesser animal in their pack and you will NOT be happy with the results.

can't wait to see her pics! (I wasn't able to get on your Facebook either, I am not a member)

Latest posts