trailer tire question

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I got a 20 ft. cattle trailer in a deal when I bought a group of heifers. Anyway, it currently has 7.50x16 tires on it and they need replaced because of old and worn. I've got a local guy that has four 225 75 16 load E range tires for sale. Will that work? I should know more about these trailer tires but I don't, so I'm asking. Thanks

Yes, without a doubt. I have a 16' stock trailer that came with 700 x15 E load. I have been running 235/75-15's four ply for years without a problem and I load 60 - 60 lb square bales in it on a regular basis, plus load up to 4 cows at a time....never a problem...... Knock on wood. Your source on E load tires should be no problem IMO.

My trailer came with 215/85R16 lr E The 225/75 should be about the same.Only concern I would have is the rim width as 75 series tire usually take a little wider rim.Talk to a tire pro.You don't want a blowout from a ballooned tire.Could cost more than the tires new.Not trying to scare anyone just my thoughts.

JW IN VA":2h2y91xg said:
My trailer came with 215/85R16 lr E The 225/75 should be about the same.Only concern I would have is the rim width as 75 series tire usually take a little wider rim.Talk to a tire pro.You don't want a blowout from a ballooned tire.Could cost more than the tires new.Not trying to scare anyone just my thoughts.

Valid point.

All I run anymore is 14ply steel 7.50x16 trailer tires. I've tried doing what your taking about and it works, but you have more tire problems. The ones I run cost 115$ a tire.

I used to sell a repair a lot of tires in my younger days, I'm a little embarrassed I had to google this to jar my memory. A tire that is 235/75R-15 the "75" means the tires height is equal to 75% of it's width. So a 235/85r-15 is narrower and taller than a 235/75R-15. So as all of us 70's teens wanted 50's on the rear of our wanna be Camero's.

The first number (235) is the over all height of the tire, which on a car has everything to do with the accuracy of your speedometer. The "R" simply means radial tire, don't know if they even make a bias ply tire anymore. The "15" is the wheel height, as in 15 inch wheel.

I'm sure all of you don't need to know this but it was nice for this old guy to refresh his tire knowledge from my 20's.

I agree with JW's thoughts but I don't think going from a 75 to a 85 or even a 70 would be a problem. But I would vary much from that.

Edited to add after seeing Denvers post, my comment is strictly dealing with passenger tires. But I still feel very comfortable with 235/75R-15 on my 16' trailer for as much as I can load in it.

I'll also add, with my thoughts, or advice, as well as anyone's else thoughts. We are not the ones changing out a blowout tire on your trailer because of bad advice.

If its a great deal, and your not going far, I'd say go for it. For myself, I only put a 14 ply trailer tire on a trailer. IMHO a truck tire is not designed to handle a trailer.

Bigfoot":2ylk0q7g said:
IMHO a truck tire is not designed to handle a trailer.
That's my opinion and has been my expierence. Not saying I don't have some truck tires on trailers myself. but to me cattle are the number 1 thing you don't want to get stuck on the side of the road with.

denvermartinfarms":oy2igu45 said:
Bigfoot":oy2igu45 said:
IMHO a truck tire is not designed to handle a trailer.
That's my opinion and has been my expierence. Not saying I don't have some truck tires on trailers myself. but to me cattle are the number 1 thing you don't want to get stuck on the side of the road with.
yes. we run 14 ply tires.

denvermartinfarms":19xm13tm said:
All I run anymore is 14ply steel 7.50x16 trailer tires. I've tried doing what your taking about and it works, but you have more tire problems. The ones I run cost 115$ a tire.

What brand are you running for that money Denver? Sounds like a good price.

J&D Cattle":1cwreg73 said:
denvermartinfarms":1cwreg73 said:

I'll have to look, they may be some off brand, but they have been lasting better than the same tire I was paying 175$ for in a bf Goodrich.

denvermartinfarms":1ip4mlw1 said:
J&D Cattle":1ip4mlw1 said:
denvermartinfarms":1ip4mlw1 said:

I'll have to look, they may be some off brand, but they have been lasting better than the same tire I was paying 175$ for in a bf Goodrich.

I wasn't having any luck with the high dollar Hankook's that they stock here either. Bought some 12ply Hercules that are doing well on my 20' stock. Last 10ply I bought were power king or something and went on a flatbed. Both of these sets were in the $100-$120 range per tire.

I run an off brand trailer tire made by Wanli. Guy comes to the house, and mounts them for somewhere around $100. They last better than any name brand tire Ive used.

Depending on your roads, trailer tires are such thin walled that you have gravel go right through the tread, and the sidewalls too...

a good 7.50x16 14 ply really is the way to go!

Latest posts