Trader Cow Calf Pair Ran Down

Help Support CattleToday:

alacattleman":kzfoagzk said:
rcstokes":kzfoagzk said:
We can do that, we just built a corral. Also just figured out for sure what she is, a red brangus. Not sure what she was bred to. Would email someone a picture of them if they might be able to help us determine that. They will fit in real fine with the black baldies (Ha).
My email as follows if anyone would like to try and help us figure the breeding issue out ([email protected])Thanks
red brangus are polled.. i draw blood on her before i turned her out with the others if it turned out too be johnes

I think she just needs a successful worming and lots of groceries(grass). Her rear end looks clean. I think most johnes victims have chronic diarrhea and the messy rear end that goes with it.

I think you are right about them being trader cow/calf. Whoever had her did not even try to hide the old tag marks. Fairly fresh de-horning too. She is too tough to die. Only one way to go, up.

With the drought so bad in Texas, probably a lot of enterprising traders buying decent but hungry cows cheap and bringing them north to re-sell.

Good for you to give her a chance. Hope she repays your kindness with good calves for years to come.

I bet you are right never thought about that. We were talking about the Texas drought Saturday at the sale barn. We almost went to the sale in Joplin Friday night only about 40 minutes from there. We may have to buy some more land. Been thinking about it. How many Cow/Calf pairs do you think there may be that need a good home.

Howdyjabo":10af0nc4 said:
Keep them isolated for a couple of months, they aren't worth risking causing trouble with the ones you already have
when you add feed--do it slowly and stay away from starch(corn,wheat ect) and no urea.
Worm now if it hasn't been done or reworm and revaccinate in a few weeks.
Check and make sure she has teeth-
Great advice !! Good Luck, might turn into a GOOD deal !! :tiphat:

She looks like she needs some grass and a lot of TLC. I would guess her a Red Brangus cross maybe?.

rcstokes":1x3dcy20 said:
I bet you are right never thought about that. We were talking about the Texas drought Saturday at the sale barn. We almost went to the sale in Joplin Friday night only about 40 minutes from there. We may have to buy some more land. Been thinking about it. How many Cow/Calf pairs do you think there may be that need a good home.

You may be too late. Nothing much coming thru the sales around here worth buying. Just somebody else's junk.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":11p8z6nt said:
That cow really is run down or in the mid to late stages of johnes one. If i were you and you could I would go ahead and wean that calf off her.

How on earth can you say the cow has Johnes just by looking at a picture?

GMN

Turned her and the calf in with the others yesterday. She not black with a white face, but the others have taken her in. I can spot her easy that way. Picked up another pair last weekend, another let's say needy pair. Black Baldy pair so they will at least match the others. They seem to be doing fine. Extra grain and a little baby treatment. One thing about it I know if they are taking care of their babies when they are in the shape they are, they will for sure take care of them when I get them back in shape and should always be good mom ma's. :banana:

GMN":36wfq3ar said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":36wfq3ar said:
That cow really is run down or in the mid to late stages of johnes one. If i were you and you could I would go ahead and wean that calf off her.

How on earth can you say the cow has Johnes just by looking at a picture?

GMN

I didnt I said to have her tested to make sure.

Picture of her on next post. Will get this figured out someday. Going to give her a home through the winter. I'm assuming my black angus bull will be a dad to her calf this spring. Just want everyone to see her. She was quite a mess when she came home. Seems to be a good mama.

Just took calf off of her Wednesday. Calf is eating hay and grain. Mama should really sould start putting a little more weight on now. Giving her some grain everyday to get her ready for snow. Did get 3 more pair since getting her, but they were in a little better shape. They too needed a little extra help though. I really enjoy getting those pairs and helping them. Been lucky so far and have not lost any yet.

Hi, Angus Cowman.Hope this finds you well. I appreciate your past help on issues. Have used the advice. Yep that is what I told my wife, not sure if she thinks so yet. My son told her not to be letting me go to the cow sales unsupervised.(LOL) Whats up with that you think? Been working the farm more. Just got water and electric to horse barn and going to start putting metal on new loafing shed tomorrow. With winter moving in I will have a little more time to get on here and learn and gain more knowledge for this spring. Thanks to board and members for the opportunity to gain that knowledge.

I would take a manure sample for Johnes just to be sure as suggested above, if that is a problem in your area (again NO IDEA where you are through this whole thread!). The vet who saw her should be able to tell if it is likely Johnes.

I would also buy a bag of what is called around here "Complete Calf" feed. It is a sweet mixed grain which they love. Get the kind with no additives, just grain. Give her just a coffee can full once a day in a feed trough along with good hay or pasture once you are sure it is not Johnes. This will also gentle her and get her coming to you as well as help put some flesh on her. I would also second the idea of getting a good molasses based mineral tub so she consumes it readily.

Good luck. She needs some TLC. Jim

Latest posts