tractor tires

Help Support CattleToday:

pbnewbie

Reaction score
I'm not sure this is the best place for this question, but how do you guys that bale hay handle mesquite in a pasture, as far as your tractor tires go? The reason I'm asking is that the guy that bales hay for me seems to not want to bale this year because of previous problems with the mesquite trees and the possibility of getting a flat in the pasture. I've had the hay meadow bulldozed last year (about 75% of it), and I was thinking of cutting it myself, but I don't know what to do about the tractor tires.

Thanks in advance!

Are the flats caused by the thorns or by what ever stump is left in the ground? If caused by the thorns I would suggest using one of the sealers that are available. I run that stuff in all my tractor tires and have not had a flat caused by thorns in a long time.

If the flats are caused by the stumps then you are pretty much on your own. None of the sealers will close up a big hole like that.

I wish I could remember the name of the product I use but it is light green in color and comes in 1 gallon plastic jugs fitted with a pump and hose that is connected to the valve stem. The down side to using this stuff is you need to start with an empty tire (no water or air - obviously).

Good luck and hope you get your hay rolled up.

The problem would be in the thorns. Are you talking about Slime? I wasn't sure if that would be enough to handle it. I thought there might be something else that I could do, too.

Mesquites are a constant battle. I dig them out by the root as deep as I can go. I have tried all the herbicides there are with no success. It is best to just stay on top of them each year, kind of like you do your fences. When you see one, dig it out.

My rear tires are filled with water. Thorns don't seem to penetrate the rear tires. New pastures with mesquites result in constant flat tires. Dead mesquite limbs will hold thorns for years and years and they'll be hard as nails. Get all the dead limbs up and burn them.

pbnewbie":1fmj3bv1 said:
The problem would be in the thorns. Are you talking about Slime? I wasn't sure if that would be enough to handle it. I thought there might be something else that I could do, too.

No sir, the stuff I use is not "Slime". It's called something else and is a lighter green than Slime. Most of the tractor tire suppliers around here use this stuff. Check with your local Farm Bureau dealer. I really don't know anything about "Slime" - never used it. It might be OK but I know for sure this other stuff works pretty good. Or maybe I'm not hitting as many thorns as I used to. :lol:

I have tried all the herbicides there are with no success.

Have you guys tried Remedy on Mesquite? Remedy mixed 20% with 80% diesel? It's what our local agent suggested. I really don't want to mess with chemicals at all, but if it's my only option, I will. He also said we could use a grubber with the dozer.

The most immediate problem is getting in there and mowing. I'll see if I can find out what the stuff is that you put in tires. I'm not wanting to see my tractor dead in the field...

pbnewbie":1gqh1rdm said:
I have tried all the herbicides there are with no success.

Have you guys tried Remedy on Mesquite? Remedy mixed 20% with 80% diesel?

Yes. A lot of it depends on timing in the season. You will attain some success but it is not going to solve your problem.

pbnewbie":2e12qpds said:
I'm not sure this is the best place for this question, but how do you guys that bale hay handle mesquite in a pasture, as far as your tractor tires go? The reason I'm asking is that the guy that bales hay for me seems to not want to bale this year because of previous problems with the mesquite trees and the possibility of getting a flat in the pasture. I've had the hay meadow bulldozed last year (about 75% of it), and I was thinking of cutting it myself, but I don't know what to do about the tractor tires.

Thanks in advance!
On the front tires you can mount a tire over the tire. Sounds nuts but it works great.

I have cleaned out alot of country with Remedy and Diesel. Mesquite is the easiest to kill... then maybe black brush... weesatche... and cactus.

We boom spray the large fields with brush and do touch ups around trees and stuff with Remedy and Diesel. Once the pasture is under control it gets a weed killer every year.

Get some one else to bale your hay. That is rediculous... its a pasture and he is driving a tractor. I don't have time to deal with people who are worried about a mesquite thorn giving them a flat. Tell him to stay out of ST. I got thorns that look like 16 penny nails in my tractors' and atvs' tires.

Now if he is worried about running over old stumps or tearing up his baling equiptment on the mesquite then that is different.

YOu can also foam fill your tires. No flats and adds alot of weight. ;-)

thanks for all the responses. A tire over a tire is really interesting. I have a friend I'll ask about the foam.

I've always heard you can't get rid of mesquite and in my county, having Mesquite is almost as bad as having the plague....

pbnewbie":304hbblm said:
I've always heard you can't get rid of mesquite and in my county, having Mesquite is almost as bad as having the plague....

It is something in a mesquites genetic code. You can look it up on the net. Some of their seeds will germinate for the next ten years or so, if I remember right. You can kill them out and get no seed pods for several years but seed pods that went into the ground a few years back will start popping.

You just have to put up a heck of a fight and it gets easier each year.

We slime our tires, front and back, and mow a pasture that was full of mesquite. We cleared by hand and now mow to keep under control. We want to have it scarfaced to pull the roots, but that is another dollar another day.

I agree with the 16 penny nail comment. I have pulled thorns out that kept on coming but the slime holds.

novatech":3feu50uf said:
pbnewbie":3feu50uf said:

Thanks in advance!
On the front tires you can mount a tire over the tire. Sounds nuts but it works great.

We do that for our brushhog, works great!

Gail

Great! I'll try slime first and then if that doesn't work I'll check out the airplane tires. I knew there had to be a solution out there.

We cleared by hand and now mow to keep under control. We want to have it scarfaced to pull the roots, but that is another dollar another day.

I'm with you. My local agent says its a lost cause, but it seems to me that if you don't let the plant see the light of day, it's not going to grow. I'm trying to listen to everybody about it, though.

We were going to use the airplane tires but then we backed out and foam filled. I can't remember all the exact reasons... but
1) I think they are kind of pricey by the time you are all said and don

2) They dont turn worth a %@#* because they are used, slick tires

3) Also you can't use of front of 4wd tractors... no grip

Some one else may also be able to help out with the pros and cons... but do alot of checking before you buy. I remember them becoming real popular... but that was short lived. I don't see them around more.

Since you have been cutting the mesquite for some time, the only chemical way to kill off the mesquite is 25% Remedy and 75% diesel.

We bought a place from a couple who had shredded the mesquite for 25 years. The plants were too small for us to see until the next spring. After much frustration, I went after it with a vengence using the diesel mix. I waited until after a rain, when the ground was soft. Dug down about 8 inches on each plant and sprayed the root and the top side. I got 99% kill rate. The surprise was the size of the roots. Some were as big as my leg, but the top side was shoots that were smaller than pencils and only about 12" tall.

Shredding is spreading when it comes to mesquite (and most other weeds).

Fred":2ffce50b said:
http://www.noflats.com/ Check out these used airplane tires. I have used them and they are very puncture resistant.

I will vouch for the airplane tires on the front. The only time I switch to ribbed is for plowing or loader work when the ground is slick. They are difficult for maneuvering in muddy conditions but that is all I can fault them for.

Latest posts