Tractor RPM

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Old time diesels were meant to be run slow, newer ones need higher RPMs. I run mine at around 1500-2000 depending on what I'm doing. I treat the RPMs more as a speed control thean anything.

Moving bales I run highest gear I can comfortably handle and around 1500 to 2000 rpm. you should be able to judge if tractor is loading up then you gear down or increase rpm.

disking is a different. I run pto rpm in the gear best suited for what Im disking. Its all relative to what your doing and a one size fits all does not apply. Best advise is to do whats comfortable and trust your ears and instinct

M-5":2k8qsrrc said:
Moving bales I run highest gear I can comfortably handle and around 1500 to 2000 rpm. you should be able to judge if tractor is loading up then you gear down or increase rpm.

disking is a different. I run pto rpm in the gear best suited for what Im disking. Its all relative to what your doing and a one size fits all does not apply. Best advise is to do whats comfortable and trust your ears and instinct[/b[

That needed to be emphasized

dun":30nyg5j3 said:
M-5":30nyg5j3 said:

disking is a different. I run pto rpm in the gear best suited for what Im disking. Its all relative to what your doing and a one size fits all does not apply. Best advise is to do whats comfortable and trust your ears and instinct
That needed to be emphasized

They can run all day, all year at full throttle with no adverse effects.. On mechanical hour meters the hours add up faster at higher RPM though, so unless you need the power, choose a higher gear... If you're putzing, 1200-1500 is good, and if you need the power, don't be scared to make it work for it's living... We had a little JD950 (Yanmar built) we put 5500 hours on, it was seriously underpowered for what we were asking of it, spent most of it's life with the "overheat" light on when doing heavy field work, never had to touch a thing on the engine.. Transmission was getting iffy so we sold it.

Latest posts