Tractor / hay equip

Help Support CattleToday:

I've thought quite a few times about baling my own hay, especially nowadays when I have to buy hay for the winter. For me personally, it's not the expense of the equipment that keeps me from baling my own, it's more the outlay of time required to cut and bale. I already have one full time job, 1/2 another just maintaining the cows/calves, and most of the other time is spent with the family. I don't know when I would have time to cut and bale my own hay. If I gotta take off work to do it, then the price of hay just went way up for me. In the summertime, I 'd much rather spend my weekends at the lake then baling hay.

On the other hand,if I was retired and didnt have a 50 hr a week job and had plenty of time to kill, then maybe I'd consider it. Don't really think there is a right or wrong answer, as everyone's situation is diferent!

Campground Cattle":3appysfo said:
I think you missed the whole point why strain a new operation buying used equipment you are going to be working on more than baling.
You can buy a ton of hay for 10,000 dollars. Even after you buy the used equipment hay still cost, I figure mine is 12 to 14 dollars a roll and I own the equipment.
It just makes better business sense to save on the front end until you can afford to buy new and use for years until its wore out.
Having hay equipment is not a have to in ranching .

a wise man used to tell me if your going to need/use something all the time you should buy it. If you're only going to need/use it once in a while you should rent or hire it. Its not a hard and fast rule just a rule of thumb that will usually let you come out ahead. once you get where you have the cash flow you can make equipment purchases fr convenience and independence Until then there will be plenty of things youll need. Tractor with hay forks now baler rake etc down the road

I have 75 acres of good coastal bermuda hay land and about 80 brood cows, plus hosses. I lease out my hay land. I can buy all the hay I need for about $15,000 per year and I'm free to pick and choose it.

If there's a drought, or if it gets rained on before it's baled guess what - It ain't my problem!! I buy some from the tenant if I like the hay. The rest I buy off the farm and have it delivered.

My life is a whole lot simpler this way, and I'm saving money. For $15,000, I don't have to buy the fertilizer, equipment, labor or headaches to bale my own. After netting out the lease income, the cost is even less.

I thought CattleAnnie's post under "Auction Marts" was a pretty well thought-out Q&A. One of the most profound parts was the following:

Inputs have increased dramatically - 20 years ago it took about 10-15 steers to buy a baler, now it takes 30 steers at a good price to buy one. With the price of every input increasing, like fuel, fertilizer, natural gas, parts, land, etc. these cattle prices do not seem so high anymore!

Craig-TX

Latest posts