Tracing Family History

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5":t29zrsmn said:
I found out me and Jo are related and share same surname

Yes and to all using this sir name it is important to remember it should always be preceded with a mister and its heavy on the Mister. ;-) :lol2:

If your bunch is from the same clan as my bunch its worth noting we did not own slaves. We actually looked down on those - mostly loyalists - who did. We actually had a lot of empathy for them as we for many years had been no more than slaves ourselves. As a right of passage I climbed to the top of King's Mountain where it is tradition that we pizz on Ferguson's grave just as our kin had done after killing him on the mountain in 1780. During this battle the local militia gave the loyalist militia and the British soldiers the same treatment they gave us at the massacre at Waxhaw where they shot unarmed patriots who had surrendered. I've tried to educate my children of our family history and keep some of our traditions alive but this is one thing I've fallen short on. Rest assured though, all do know the importance of dog heads.

We did fight for the south. Slavery had nothing to do with it as we were against it but our dislike of intrusive governments far outweighed our dislike of slavery. I am told that after the war one relative knicknamed Mance, tried to go back to the farm and live in peace but the federal occupational army was corrupt and the puppet government they empowered would overtax and extort and rob people. They pushed him too far and he and some of his buddies started their own little war and killed some soldiers and ran off with their payroll. The feds wanted him bad and chased him all the way to Texas where he fell off his horse and hit his head on a rock and died. He was on my mother's side but this treatment must have been the norm because my father's home place was once owned by a carpet bagger who forged deeds and stole the land. After setting a cross on fire in the front yard one night the carpetbagger loaded his stuff up the next morning and abandoned the place. The property stayed in the family for years.

Its funny how today, I being from the south, am often labeled. This flag thing strikes me as funny too because to my friends and family this flag has nothing to do with slavery (its also the wrong flag) but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a confederate flag flying on a slave ship but that of England, Portugal or a ship owned by a yankee flying old glory, yet WE are so often blamed and labeled by the very entity that we have such little trust. Its comical when you think about it.

Bigfoot":3py4t1q4 said:
Back in the 70's, I had an aunt, that paid big money to have our family history traced. Don't know what became of the information they gathered. She didn't have children, and all of her "stuff" got rifled through pretty good. That was years ago, but I remember well her talking about family members being in the civil war, and revolutionary war. I remember thinking even as a kid, unless your family came after either war, you've probably got ancestors that served.

I've had times in my adult life, where I thought about getting interested in geneology. I usually come to the realization, that if you just go back 2 generations you've got 16 great great grandparents. How watered down is that gene pool? I'm not taking anything away, from people that are big on family history, it just doesn't intrest me.
Watered down?
You're looking at it the wrong way.
HYBRID VIGOR!!! HETEROSIS!!! OUTBREEDING ENHANCEMENT.

Jogeephus":3lpkizh7 said:
M-5":3lpkizh7 said:

Yes and to all using this sir name it is important to remember it should always be preceded with a mister and its heavy on the Mister. ;-) :lol2:

I"m scratching my head Joe trying to figure where you put the "Dash" in your name. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :mrgreen:

TexasBred":3n4w4z67 said:
Jogeephus":3n4w4z67 said:
M-5":3n4w4z67 said:

I"m scratching my head Joe trying to figure where you put the "Dash" in your name. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :mrgreen:

Mister Dash. TB

Bigfoot":33batia5 said:
I've had times in my adult life, where I thought about getting interested in geneology. I usually come to the realization, that if you just go back 2 generations you've got 16 great great grandparents. How watered down is that gene pool? I'm not taking anything away, from people that are big on family history, it just doesn't intrest me.

Thank you! I thought I was the only one. I have a very unique last name, and in 1952 there was a guy on the gold winning olympic team with that name. I'm pretty sure that I'm related b/c he's from the same country that my ancestors came from. Big whup. What does it do for me? I know my parents. I knew my grandparents. I knew a great grandmother. After that everyone else is just a name. I don't care if my great-great-great grandfather was the President, it doesn't do anything for me. Just live my life in the present and create something for someone to talk about when I'm dead.

A good portion of my family history has been handed down, so to speak, from one generation to the next via documents,letters,photos,oral histories etc. The rest had/has been researched through public archives in Germany and elsewhere.

Swore when all this started, was not gonna get involved, Hello, just not me. Have great admiration for both
Jo and M-5, as men and taking care of their family/life as need be. On different note, civil war probably predicated on
issues that normal man was not involved in, as in even today. Late 1864 Confederates sent detachment thru south-central
Alabama to enlist all age eligible men, because census showed more adult males than serving. These people were slaves to
their own existence, could care less for states rights or slavery. Contrary to popular opinion, think very few deep south
actually owned slaves, just a north/world perspective. Can find no evidence of any of my ancestor ever owning a slave, but
from deep south, I'm included in that mind set. Agree with another poster on another thread on prejudice/racism more
prevalent in north/Midwest than south. I'm bred/born/raised deep south, for most part "we take care of our own", no matter
what color Your skin. Posted incident on other thread. Ancestors per se, get past my great grandparents, could care less, supposedly
my ancestry goes back to vikings and William Wallace of Scotland fame, I Don't Care !!
BTW tried to post similar other threads, some reason did not post, maybe good .

wlamarparmer":11agdtkt said:
Late 1864 Confederates sent detachment thru south-central Alabama to enlist all age eligible men, because census showed more adult males than serving. These people were slaves to their own existence, could care less for states rights or slavery.
That's right. The secessionist movement was not popularly supported. It was led by the Fire Eaters with support from wealthy plantation owners, certainly not the common man.

ga.prime":jltqa6kh said:
wlamarparmer":jltqa6kh said:
Late 1864 Confederates sent detachment thru south-central Alabama to enlist all age eligible men, because census showed more adult males than serving. These people were slaves to their own existence, could care less for states rights or slavery.
That's right. The secessionist movement was not popularly supported. It was led by the Fire Eaters with support from wealthy plantation owners, certainly not the common man.

That is so true. There is a book written about the community my mother's family settled in and the information in the book was fished from old letters and writings from the people of that time. They were clearly against slavery so their participation in the war had nothing to do with that. Their participation was either by force or by the protection of their state - their home - from what they viewed as a threat.

When I was young I didn't know what racism was till the federal gov't started pointing it out. Heck, I grew up playing with black kids and even was partially raised by the sweetest black lady I've known. Francis White. She was like a mother to me and I loved her and can still remember resting my head on her 44D's as a pillow as I slept in her lap. When she died I drove seven hours one way to her funeral. She was part of our family. When the feds started agitating things they drove a wedge between me and some of my black friends and even Francis to some extent and our open friendships became stressed.

IMO, they need to take all this crap out of the limelight and I believe it will all sort itself out. Just like this gay marriage nonsense. Had the gov't stayed out of it and treated everyone equally rather than giving married couples special treatment then this would be a nonissue. Marriage is religious bond between a man and a woman and God and the gov't has no right to issue licenses or treat them any different than anyone else. The politicians use all this stuff to further their political careers which have nothing to do with the good of the country just their own personal greed and gain. Just look at Obama and how he publicly stated marriage was only between a man and a woman. Look at Hillary, she has said the same and was one of the last to change her stance on this after her advisers told her which way the court would favor. They are just using us for their own personal gain. That goes for both parties and its a shame so few see through this nasty game they are playing.

The constitution promises equality and the only way to achieve this is to pull the teeth from these agitators and the simplest way to do this is to go to a flat tax like the country used to have. If we did this, many of these issues that divide us as a country would just disappear.

ga.prime":3e0ec42r said:
wlamarparmer":3e0ec42r said:
And then the wealthy plantation owners turned the fighting over to the "common man" most of whom had no idea what it was even about. If you were rich enough you could hire someone to fight for you or one of your sons even. I guess these rich planters were the 1 percenters of the democrat party of the 1800's.

TexasBred":37y65l90 said:
ga.prime":37y65l90 said:
wlamarparmer":37y65l90 said:
And then the wealthy plantation owners turned the fighting over to the "common man" most of whom had no idea what it was even about. If you were rich enough you could hire someone to fight for you or one of your sons even. I guess these rich planters were the 1 percenters of the democrat party of the 1800's.
I'd guess the same.

As Jo posted, this is the South of my childhood, and my immediate ancestors. Could elaborate for
hours on events and times, but his post says it all as far as my life is concerned. Need not elaborate further !!!

M-5":26a6irte said:
I have surmised that My side of the tree got all of the looks and his got all of the money

Don't know about that or you must be one UGLY thing if that's the case.

I once thought I was pretty well off till my dad explained HE was well off and that I was poor as shyt. Never saw a dime of HIS money till I was in my late forties and when I did I didn't need it and never spent a dime of it on myself. I've explained the same to my children just as my grandfather told my dad and my dad me. I guess you could say its a family tradition that is ingrained in us. No one owes you shyt. Its this sense of independence that has kept every member of my family off the gov't dole except for my aunt. She was a staunch democrat and big in the democratic party and was one of the movers and shakers during the Carter era and I can clearly remember her condescending comments to us about our work ethic. If it wasn't for us taking care of our own she would be a bag lady today even though at one time she had three planes and traveled the world chasing unicorns and the like. She is the prime example I use to teach my children why its important not to be a liberal.

A lot of our history came from the family Bible's, or oral history. So.. Caro. began keeping death certificates in 1916. But it was only as accurate as to the knowledge of the person giving the information of the deceased. Place of birth, death, parents, occupation, etc.... Micro film at the county library may give you census reports and you may find some obits too, as well newspaper clippings. My Dad was born 111 years ago, this year, and he made sure that I accompanied him to many family and church reunions throughout the state to meet and speak with "kin folk". I miss those days..... I can only go back to 1704, when my 3rd Great Grand Dad came over from some port in England... Ironically, some of these same ancestors were known as "Patriots" in one war, and "Rebels" in the next. Even had a Great Uncle, captured on Missionary Ridge, that became a charter member of the 3rd U.S. Infantry, in order to get out of a Northern prison at Rock Island, IL. He, they, were sent out west to exterminate the American Indian while the Fed's continued their assault on the South. May find some good things, but some you may want to put in the back of the folder. Time consuming, but interesting.... J. Reb

Jo, then you are probably familiar with the name of "No Quarters" Tarlton? Shame you couldn't have honored his grave as well.....

Jogeephus":1j2vokzh said:
M-5":1j2vokzh said:

If your bunch is from the same clan as my bunch its worth noting we did not own slaves. We actually looked down on those - mostly loyalists - who did. We actually had a lot of empathy for them as we for many years had been no more than slaves ourselves. As a right of passage I climbed to the top of King's Mountain where it is tradition that we pizz on Ferguson's grave just as our kin had done after killing him on the mountain in 1780. During this battle the local militia gave the loyalist militia and the British soldiers the same treatment they gave us at the massacre at Waxhaw where they shot unarmed patriots who had surrendered. I've tried to educate my children of our family history and keep some of our traditions alive but this is one thing I've fallen short on. Rest assured though, all do know the importance of dog heads.

We did fight for the south. Slavery had nothing to do with it as we were against it but our dislike of intrusive governments far outweighed our dislike of slavery. I am told that after the war one relative knicknamed Mance, tried to go back to the farm and live in peace but the federal occupational army was corrupt and the puppet government they empowered would overtax and extort and rob people. They pushed him too far and he and some of his buddies started their own little war and killed some soldiers and ran off with their payroll. The feds wanted him bad and chased him all the way to Texas where he fell off his horse and hit his head on a rock and died. He was on my mother's side but this treatment must have been the norm because my father's home place was once owned by a carpet bagger who forged deeds and stole the land. After setting a cross on fire in the front yard one night the carpetbagger loaded his stuff up the next morning and abandoned the place. The property stayed in the family for years.

Its funny how today, I being from the south, am often labeled. This flag thing strikes me as funny too because to my friends and family this flag has nothing to do with slavery (its also the wrong flag) but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a confederate flag flying on a slave ship but that of England, Portugal or a ship owned by a yankee flying old glory, yet WE are so often blamed and labeled by the very entity that we have such little trust. Its comical when you think about it.

Latest posts