Tracing Family History

Help Support CattleToday:

One of our family branches did a family tree. Went all the way back to an Ojibwa chief named Bad Pelican.

I disagree about Ancestry. com. Yes, they have an extensive database of genealogy but you and I paid for that in more than one way. First, when you do the searches in Ancestry and add information to you family tree it becomes the property of Ancestry. So not only did you pay for the privilege of doing the searches you also added to their database which someone else will have to pay for. Kinda like a pyramid scheme don't you think? Second, if you want to share your results with another family member, that family member must ALSO join Ancestry or use your computer. Third, moving the data into something more universal like EXCEL so that it can be printed and shared in a traditional format you can't do it. Forth, if you have personal information about an error in Ancestry database and want it corrected you can't do it. I had a great uncle whose name was Leo K. T…… In Ancestry it was listed as "Leak" T…. I knew this man, personally. I even have a photograph of his headstone. Ancestry refused to correct the history. The mistake was made by a census taker in the 20's. Census takers today barely have enough sense to come in out of the rain so you can imagine the caliber of people used to take the census 90 years ago. Fifth, the information you need is supposed to be available free from public records but when you search those "free" databases you get redirected to, you guessed it, Ancestry.

Just be careful when you attempt to sign up with Ancestry.com. Make sure you ask the right questions and get a COMPLETE explanation on how it works.

Jogeephus":2d6yrkia said:
M-5":2d6yrkia said:
I have surmised that My side of the tree got all of the looks and his got all of the money

Don't know about that or you must be one UGLY thing if that's the case.

I once thought I was pretty well off till my dad explained HE was well off and that I was poor as shyt. Never saw a dime of HIS money till I was in my late forties and when I did I didn't need it and never spent a dime of it on myself. I've explained the same to my children just as my grandfather told my dad and my dad me. I guess you could say its a family tradition that is ingrained in us. No one owes you shyt. Its this sense of independence that has kept every member of my family off the gov't dole except for my aunt. She was a staunch democrat and big in the democratic party and was one of the movers and shakers during the Carter era and I can clearly remember her condescending comments to us about our work ethic. If it wasn't for us taking care of our own she would be a bag lady today even though at one time she had three planes and traveled the world chasing unicorns and the like. She is the prime example I use to teach my children why its important not to be a liberal.

But Jo, osama said that folks who are comfortably well off today got it from someone else. You didn't hear him say that???? :lol:

I started using this board to learn about cattle, and still do.

I have found an all together different, and unexpected use for it. Hearing people like me (for the most part) state what they believe. Thanks for that.

PS - Thanks for the cattle smarts too..

lavacarancher":36mtwr5r said:
I disagree about Ancestry. com. Yes, they have an extensive database of genealogy but you and I paid for that in more than one way. First, when you do the searches in Ancestry and add information to you family tree it becomes the property of Ancestry. So not only did you pay for the privilege of doing the searches you also added to their database which someone else will have to pay for. Kinda like a pyramid scheme don't you think? Second, if you want to share your results with another family member, that family member must ALSO join Ancestry or use your computer. Third, moving the data into something more universal like EXCEL so that it can be printed and shared in a traditional format you can't do it. Forth, if you have personal information about an error in Ancestry database and want it corrected you can't do it. I had a great uncle whose name was Leo K. T…… In Ancestry it was listed as "Leak" T…. I knew this man, personally. I even have a photograph of his headstone. Ancestry refused to correct the history. The mistake was made by a census taker in the 20's. Census takers today barely have enough sense to come in out of the rain so you can imagine the caliber of people used to take the census 90 years ago. Fifth, the information you need is supposed to be available free from public records but when you search those "free" databases you get redirected to, you guessed it, Ancestry.

Just be careful when you attempt to sign up with Ancestry.com. Make sure you ask the right questions and get a COMPLETE explanation on how it works.

Lava,
I agree wholeheartedly with you.
My wife has been very involved in Genealogy for more than thirty years (before computers). I have helped her to a lesser extent. She refuses to take Ancestry.com records for truth until she verifies it further. There database is full of errors!
They will add anything that anyone contributes then sell it to someone down the line. It's all about money, not accuracy. Remember what you have heard about the internet. Anyone can write anything about anybody and post it on the internet. Do any of you remember that our POTUS and his wife were so quick to find their white relatives!!!

If someone really wants to know there ancestors, they should rely on church records, genealogy books (proven experts) and research on your own including speaking to old relatives and citizens in your community. You should also get involved with any genealogy organizations, as they also don't rely on Ancestry.com and are more than willing to share their knowledge. :2cents:

I did a little digging on the Internet, after this thread started. Not even sure why I did. I would have to say that I am very leary of the validity of my findings. Also, people moved around a lot more back in the day, than I would have ever given them credit for. It would take a ton of time, to ever "really" trace your ancestors. I tried to follow my last name through just the males on my fathers side. The birth, marriage, and census records are online for my county back to about 1809. I poured through that, and didn't fool around with the genealogy web sites. My grandfather was in his 50's when he had my dad. Evidently, his father was late 40's or early 50's when he had him. I wasn't back very many generations at all, when I had to tap out in the 1809 census, birth records. I don't see how in the world, somebody would be able to follow every branch of their family tree. If your counties records aren't on line, or your family has moved, seems like it would be nearly impossible.

I did find a history of my county on line. It was very interesting to read, and quit different from the history that our county historian tells. He's a pretty good friend of mine, and was one of my college professors. He lives eats, and breaths history. I obviously trust his account more than the one I found on the Internet. I'll be glad to run in to him, and see what he makes of it.

Latest posts