Totaled my truck Friday......

Help Support CattleToday:

OwnedByTheCow

Reaction score
I don't know if I should post pic's first and explain after or the other way.
On Friday my dad, sister, and I were in our blue pickup turning into tractor supply co. a white Blazer and a distracted driver took us out. The blazer then went on to drive into a car dealership and damaged two more cars and a sign. All of us got out of the cars fine and the man in the other car went to the hospital with chest pains. It was absolutely terrifying. We were pulling into Tractor Supply to drop off my sister to my mom who was waiting in the parking lot and saw the whole thing. I wasn't as scared as I was disappointed about the truck. The truck moved about 30 feet from where it was sitting and the other car was going about 50 or 60 at the time. If it were any other scenario someone would have gotten killed either by pushing us into the other lane or if it were a smaller car my sister would have gotten crushed first.

OwnedByTheCow":961mxw8u said:
The drive shaft snapped it won't drive any more

Yes, count your blessings no one was seriously hurt, or worse..... :eek:

From the pic it looks like you could put on the spare tire, take the drive shaft off, engage 4wd and drive home :idea: Hopefully the other guy has insurance that will pay for your totalled vehicle. Then you should have more than enough to put on a salvage box and driveshaft with new u-joints and keep driving.

Glad you're OK.

I'd take a look at the frame for bending, but it certainly looks salvageable from what I see.. since the driveshaft is snapped, I'd take a look at the spring mounts and U bolts, they may have let go, the cab doesn't look twisted, just dented.. a uni-spotter and some pins will pull most of that back out, the rear door may need to be replaced rather than straightened... and put a flatdeck on it.

Nesikep":srwq37h5 said:
Glad you're OK.

I'd take a look at the frame for bending, but it certainly looks salvageable from what I see.. since the driveshaft is snapped, I'd take a look at the spring mounts and U bolts, they may have let go, the cab doesn't look twisted, just dented.. a uni-spotter and some pins will pull most of that back out, the rear door may need to be replaced rather than straightened... and put a flatdeck on it.
Mu concern would be the frame. Several years ago I ran into brand new pickup that had stopped short, I had studded tires and it had just rained so when I hit the brakes I speeded up. Hit him square in the rear, bent my hood and bumper, bent the frame of the full sized pickup. Wasn;t going all that fast, 35 or so but the fullsize couldn;t withstand a hit from a Ranger pickup.

The insurance company is calling it totalled and are paying for our new truck. No one yet knows if the other guy has insurance yet, they have not been able to get a hold of him.

Glad your family is okay.
Looks like the guy who hit you likely took the steering wheel in the chest. Could have caused just bruising, or could have cracked some ribs, among other things.
Your ins. company will go after the other guys ins., if he has it.
If you want the old truck, your ins company might let you have it, but not for free since they sell them for salvage to recoup some of their costs on the payout. Still lots of stuff on it worth some $$ to someone.

dun":1j6bhfrp said:
Nesikep":1j6bhfrp said:
Glad you're OK.

Mu concern would be the frame. Several years ago I ran into brand new pickup that had stopped short, I had studded tires and it had just rained so when I hit the brakes I speeded up. Hit him square in the rear, bent my hood and bumper, bent the frame of the full sized pickup. Wasn;t going all that fast, 35 or so but the fullsize couldn;t withstand a hit from a Ranger pickup.

Of course dun, it was built Ford Tough!

We haven't heard anything from the other guy. The insurance company has yet to get a hold of him. If I remember correctly he didn't at all remember what had happened. Not even that he was in a accident. We had to tell him everything that happened.

Latest posts