Total cattle newbie with some (probably silly) ???'s

Help Support CattleToday:

We spent several hours yesterday with a local breeder. He took us around to feed the various sex/age groups in their pastures, and we toured his facilities for breeding, feeding and housing/care.

His father is the most experienced bovine AI practicioner in the area, and we got a lot of great information from him.

I'm also going to be working with our local ag extension agent for plans and pasture/pond management. I am sure it differs somewhat from horses, and I want to make sure we have things in place prior to getting our cattle. We've now decided to start with a 3 in one package, and go from there.

As knowledgeable horse breeders, we know safety to us and our vet is THE single most important factor. In 20 years of breeding, training and showing horses, we've never had an injury to a vet, and never a serious injury to either one of us. You don't have that happen without paying attention to safety, so be assured that we will not be doing this endeavor on a "halfway" basis. We know that any animal - large or small - is capable of inflicting serious injury, no matter how calm an individual appears to be.

So, the plan is a well-constructed, quality headgate, and a chute constructed of a combination of treated 6" x 6"'s and 2" x 6''s and steel panels. We'll keep thinking about whether or not we need a mechanical squeeze, and will include that in the plans if the consensus from others we talk to that it is.

Input on good brands (or those to avoid) for headgates and squeezes are appreciated.

Thanks so much to everyone.

I used a squeeze chute for the first time the other day and loved it. In the past we just had head catches but this year I went ahead and bought the squeeze, its not a heavy one and wouldn't hold up to every day use all year nor to the cows I use to have but it will be fine for three times a year working on the ones I have now. It is new but has no name on it and cost $1400.

Latest posts