Took a walk out w/ the cattle this evening . . .

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
Took a walk w/ the cattle tonight. First time I've been able to do that since the foot wreck. All look great. The steers are gaining well. The cows I expected to look pregnant do; am hoping at least one of two that is suspect will surprise me. Calving watch starts week of July 6th.

Most of the garden is in. Tomato, pepper plants a couple week ago, and everything else seeded except for some herbs. Wind was horrible here for a couple of weeks, but now it's settled down some and getting pretty warm. Warm is good for the garden. Less wind is good for me.

Kathie, you live in Windburg what do you expect? There is a reason all the trees grow with about a 15 degree lean to the East.

I use a cheap 4 wheeler. It is great for inspecting and spraying flies. I inspect everything in a very short time.
It has a great seat to turn it off and enjoy watching the cattle.

Our trees lean to the NW.. we've had a REALLY windy week again.. some hot weather in with it, sure dried the hay nice, but heaven forbid you rake it, you'll find it 10 miles away... I dried a fair cut of alfalfa in 2 1/2 days without raking... and it was darned dry when I baled it

It's been a while since you buggered your foot... I'd hope the steers look bigger!.. it seems as if I miss a day or two of being around mine they look bigger in that time... Now don't go stepping into any cow potholes and wreck your foot again!

Nesikep":2er9iagc said:
Our trees lean to the NW.. we've had a REALLY windy week again.. some hot weather in with it, sure dried the hay nice, but heaven forbid you rake it, you'll find it 10 miles away... I dried a fair cut of alfalfa in 2 1/2 days without raking... and it was darned dry when I baled it

It's been a while since you buggered your foot... I'd hope the steers look bigger!.. it seems as if I miss a day or two of being around mine they look bigger in that time... Now don't go stepping into any cow potholes and wreck your foot again!
Nesi, our winds come from the NW, too, so don't be blame'n any of your wind problems on us below the border! Yes, steers are looking good. Cows are very close to popping. I don't think anyone over here lost any hay to rain on first cut this year; we had a sprinkle, but the wind dried it out pretty fast. Yes, have also seen perfect windrows of hay blown clear across the field! Foot is much improved, but still not weaned off the lace-up and velcro support yet -- doc asked me the other day if I thought PT might be helpful, but then agreed I probabIy get enough of that on my own.

when i broke my femur I took 2 classes of PT, and said 'heck with this'... I could run up a hill and my 'bad' leg got less tired than my good one. I don't think it rained hard enough for anyone to lose hay around here, though it just ungreened it a bit.

Latest posts