Took a drive

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Last night I took a drive up the canyon. I had come through the day before and saw a band of bighorn sheep. So I took the camera hoping to get their picture. It was pretty warm so I took the pistol to shoot any rattlers on the road. The sheep were no where to be seen. I did see a lot of deer. Four sets of twin fawns. Several bucks including a dandy 4 point. He stood there and let me take pictures but it was too dark for the pictures to come out good. But the warm weather did bring the snakes out. A new record. I killed 6 rattlers. The last one I had to use the shovel because I ran out of ammo. The picture is the biggest one. Nine rattles and a button.

6 on one drive? yikes, thought I had a lot. don't think I have ever seen more than 2 or 3 in one outing, but I have seen one on a heck of a lot of consecutive outings. only had one in the house so far this year. :secret:

ga.prime said:
Nine rattles and a button, looks like a worm. Must've been terrifying.

The variety we have doesn't get as big as the ones you guys have in the south. A 3 foot snake is a big one. A 4 footer is considered huge.
It is 15 miles up through the canyon to the next ranch. A river runs along the road and it is lots of broken up rock. Real good snake habitat. When the sun starts to go down on hot days snakes come out and lay on the road. Very little traffic that time of day to disturb them. Just me with my 22 pistol and shovel.

Hippie Rancher said:
6 on one drive? yikes, thought I had a lot. don't think I have ever seen more than 2 or 3 in one outing, but I have seen one on a heck of a lot of consecutive outings. only had one in the house so far this year. :secret:

Uhhh, IN your house?

5S Cattle said:
Hippie Rancher said:

Uhhh, IN your house?

In the house would not be good. I haven't even had one in the yard this year. The closest I have had one is the tractor shed. And I didn't like that much. I think I have killed 17 this year but only 5 have been on my property.

The trusty shovel strikes again. I deal with a lot more copperheads than rattlesnakes, but I get a decent number of coral snakes mixed in there to help makeup the deficit.

I've actually been hoping to find a rattler soon so I can try and make a hat band, but as soon as I started trying to find them they are nowhere to be found.

Latest posts