Tony Stewart

Help Support CattleToday:

larryshoat

Reaction score
What do you think? Tragic! I watched the video and you never know what's in another mans mind, but it don't look good to me.

Larry

He ran over and killed another driver at a sprint car race. Video on youtube.

Larry

Alan":xp76vi28 said:
larryshoat":xp76vi28 said:
He ran over and killed another driver at a sprint car race.

Larry

Intentionally?

That's the question. I would think not, but the video certainly makes him look bad.

Larry

Looks to me like he was asking for it. Driving a car numbered 13 and walking into oncoming traffic pointing his finger. Can't see how that could be murder.

Intentional? I don't know. Kinda depends where on the track it took place. If it happened coming off a turn then there's not a lot of wiggle room and control is almost not controlled. If it happened on a straight away then maybe Tony could have avoided him. Don't have any idea what was in the hot heads mind - maybe he thought Tony could or would stop so he could beat the shyt out of him. In any case it was clearly a threat to Tony and he has a right to defend himself, even with a sprint car. JMO

They say stupidity won't kill you but in this case it certainly did.

lavacarancher":3cb1jo36 said:
Intentional? I don't know. Kinda depends where on the track it took place. If it happened coming off a turn then there's not a lot of wiggle room and control is almost not controlled. If it happened on a straight away then maybe Tony could have avoided him. Don't have any idea what was in the hot heads mind - maybe he thought Tony could or would stop so he could beat the shyt out of him. In any case it was clearly a threat to Tony and he has a right to defend himself, even with a sprint car. JMO

They say stupidity won't kill you but in this case it certainly did.

Yep, anyone who gets out of their car is fair game to be killed, especially if they are going to do something dumb, like throw a race helmet at your windshield as you pass by.
"Ah was fearful for mah life" is all they have to say.

[sarcasm off]

I would say opinions will be split. My guess is the guy came out there and Stewart thought he would throw a little dirt on him and got too close. I'm sure by now Tony Stewart wishes he had done different, but like most stupid stuff it's hard to take back.

Larry

Stewart was coming out of a turn. In a mud track. You do not have the best of control at that point. You're just trying to hold a groove. He immediately pulled off the track. Clearly shaken.

Why would anyone get out of a car and walk out into a corner?

I place no blame on Stewart.

The media has just been blowing up with this. A sports-talk radio host in Indy spent all day Sunday hammering Stewart. This morning Fox news brought out Jim Gray, who wonders why racing is even legal. I've seen legal analysts somberly discuss "intent"and "malice".
One thought: Tony is acerbic enough that many press types have some grudges and now they get to "pile on".
What I see on YouTube is so poorly lighted and from bad angles that no one could say with any certainty what happened. I see it as a racing accident. I'm sorry the young man is dead. I'm sorry Dale is dead, but it was racin'.
:hide:

Heard some CNN journalists making all sorts of crazy claims. One girl even said she didn't understand why NASCAR (yeah, I know) didn't require training to teach drivers not to run into oncoming traffic as if one wouldn't already know this and have to be taught the danger.

john250":olcpmkf4 said:
The media has just been blowing up with this. A sports-talk radio host in Indy spent all day Sunday hammering Stewart. This morning Fox news brought out Jim Gray, who wonders why racing is even legal. I've seen legal analysts somberly discuss "intent"and "malice".
One thought: Tony is acerbic enough that many press types have some grudges and now they get to "pile on".
What I see on YouTube is so poorly lighted and from bad angles that no one could say with any certainty what happened. I see it as a racing accident. I'm sorry the young man is dead. I'm sorry Dale is dead, but it was racin'.
:hide:
When they bring Mr. Know it All Kyle Petty on the show "Smoke" might as well pack his duds.

backhoeboogie":6g4o7n4v said:
Stewart was coming out of a turn. In a mud track. You do not have the best of control at that point. You're just trying to hold a groove. .
Under a yellow flag..

To be fair, they're usually still running fairly fast under yellow, often faster than it seems. I've not watch the video (and don't plan to), just thought I'd mention that. The video may make they speed fairly apparent, but often times it seems like they're going slower than they are.

The safety record of sprint car racing in recent years has been greatly improved by several new mandatory safety regulations including the use of roll cages to protect the drivers, fuel tank bladders to prevent fuel leakage, alcohol fuel, requirements to use a six or seven-point safety harness seatbelt two years old or newer, and driver suit standards to consist of two layers and rated at least SFI 3.2A/5. In addition, drivers must wear nomex driving gloves. Other equipment requirements include: helmets must be full coverage and must exceed Snell 2000 rating; arm restraints systems must be used; cars must have a 1/8 inch wire debris/rock screen in the front roll cage opening covering the entire opening; and headrests mandatory on the right side of the drivers seat. Some sanctioning bodies are also requiring a head and neck restraint system.

All these great safety innovations surrounding the driver and he climbs out and walks down the track to shake his fist at another driver and shout bad names. Not a place for "macho". But maybe he did learn it from Stewart. They all know better.

Jogeephus":8vayp9yy said:
Heard some CNN journalists making all sorts of crazy claims. One girl even said she didn't understand why NASCAR (yeah, I know) didn't require training to teach drivers not to run into oncoming traffic as if one wouldn't already know this and have to be taught the danger.
Is she the same one that wants them to move the deer crossing signs so the deer will cross somewhere else?

Latest posts