Tobacco

Help Support CattleToday:

Beef08

Reaction score
I have heard arguments and stuff and was wondering which is worse for someone chewing tobacoo or dipping? I know both can cause oral cancer, but just wondering some of ya'lls thoughts. I am young and I try to stay away from it all, and I have seen pictures and heard stories enough to scare me and even seen family members suffer..but when tough times come calling it sure is nice to have something to calm you.

Neither. From a woman's point of view, I loathe spitting. Spitting is a nasty habit. I would rather have a man smoke than dip or chew. And given the choice, I would rather him not do any of those.

Stay away from tobacco. It rots the teeth and makes your breath bad. And it is like kissing an ash tray. I used to smoke and so did my husband. My cousin's wife died recently of lung cancer. She never smoked a day. Her husband did. Now he can never forgive himself. Not only that, but it forms a lifelong habit that is almost impossible to break. The best way to avoid this is to avoid tobacco altogether.

I have never been tempted by smoking, or wanted to. Plus I have asthma so I dont think smoking would go over to well. All my life I have seen all the Cattlemen at the sale barn dipping or chewing.

I have done them both in the past, but am totally tobacco free for over 3 years now. Both are bad for you, both will kill you.

That being said, both will give you temporary pleasure, but it's not worth it.......

It was much harder to quit dipping than it was smoking. Stay away from both of them.

can tobbacco cause cancer yes.but i think if it does via smoking dipping or chewing.some people are genetically dissposed to have cancer.by that i mean you start coughing everytime you light a cigg an start puffing on it.my dad smoked for over 20yrs.an if he hadnt quit it prolly wouldve done him in.then he dipped copenhagen for 18yrs.he died with melanoma cancer.but it wasnt caused from his smoking or dipping.i dipped snuff an chewed tobbacco an chewed cigars for 20yrs.an yes i knew the risks of what i was doing.i was dipping a can of snuff everyday.30 cans a month.an i decided to quit.an i dipped my lasst 5 cans.an i quit cold turkey.havent had a chew or dipp in 7yrs come this aug.

Good for you, BB. My BIL dips and it just makes me ill. Spitting, I don't know, I just can't handle it.

well miss thang snuff is finely ground.almost to a powder form.an chewing is when you take tobbacco leaves roll them in a ball an throw it in your jaw an chew on it like a cow chews her cud.i used to chew tobbacco an swallow the juice when i couldnt spitt.i used to talk up 20 moins without sptting when i dipped snuff.

Plus, that stuff's expensive! Think of the money you would spend in a year and then think about what you could have done with it. It is a significant amount of dollars.

Yeah, that's $1800.00 a year, Beef 08. What else can you think of that you could be doing with that money? Multiply that over, say twenty years. Now, put that money in the bank and not between your cheek and gum. Hate to sound like your mom, but that's what I would tell anyone.

id spent enough money on snuff an chewing tobbacco in 20yrs to pay for a new 1 ton dually.now my dad spent alot to lolol.because at 1 time he was paying for 3 people snuff an chewing tobbacco.he said that was the only profit he got from milking cows.

Haha it's ok Lammie...if my momma wouldn't of left me and my dad and brother i prob wouldn't even consider this topic...but it has been a long year :(

I do dip maybe twice a week. Just when I get down, and a can lasts me a whole month so it's not like I am on it heavy...but I prob shouldn't of even started

Beef08":2753ty0a said:
I do dip maybe twice a week. Just when I get down, and a can lasts me a whole month so it's not like I am on it heavy...but I prob shouldn't of even started

If you ain't on it heavy then quit now before you are. It will dominate your life like any addiction and the longer you do it the harder it is to quit. I chewed for almost 40 years and quitting almost drove me nuts but it's the best thing I ever did for myself, and my loved ones. Think about this 20 years from now you're still chewing and you get up every morning and wonder if today's the day you find out you have cancer of the throat, lip ,or gums. Your next thought is who will take care of my kids if I die. STILL WANT TO CHEW???????????????????????

Angus/Brangus":1on0z99i said:
3waycross":1on0z99i said:
Beef08":1on0z99i said:

If you ain't on it heavy then quit now before you are. It will dominate your life like any addiction and the longer you do it the harder it is to quit. I chewed for almost 40 years and quitting almost drove me nuts but it's the best thing I ever did for myself, and my loved ones. Think about this 20 years from now you're still chewing and you get up every morning and wonder if today's the day you find out you have cancer of the throat, lip ,or gums. Your next thought is who will take care of my kids if I die. STILL WANT TO CHEW???????????????????????

Not to mention what the side your pickup truck must have looked like :frowns: ;-)
the art of spitting out the truck window can be learned.i used to spitt out the school bus window.an if the wind was right it would carry it around the back of the bus.an into another window right in some1s face.but you can learn how to spitt out the truck window.an not get it all over the side of the truck.

[

Not to mention what the side your pickup truck must have looked like :frowns: ;-)[/quote]
the art of spitting out the truck window can be learned.i used to spitt out the school bus window.an if the wind was right it would carry it around the back of the bus.an into another window right in some1s face.but you can learn how to spitt out the truck window.an not get it all over the side of the truck.[/quote]

Come on Bigbull I'm tryin to get him to quit chewin and yer giving him spittin lessons :shock:

I knew I had to quit when I got the beer bottles mixed up. Spit bottle in the left hand... Drink bottle in the right hand...... Works great till little smart aleck brother pulls a switch at the bar........

bigbull338":2pept1qo said:
ypou make him good an sick when he is chewing an dipping an he might quit.

Didn't work on me. I got so sick chewing Horseshoe when I was 12 that I fell off the bale wagon into the irrigation ditch, and another time chewing Red Man I was riding a drag behind the tractor and fell off, my cousin found me on the next pass. I just took it as a challenge to get better at chewin. My cousins thought it was gret fun to make me sick with chew so they could eat my lunch while I was pukin. Come to think of it I still owe those two a whippin. :nod:

Latest posts