To supplement or not to supplement?

Help Support CattleToday:

txfishing

Reaction score
To supplement or not to supplement? That is my newbee question of the week.

I half a total of 4 Heifers (two 15 month old and two 4-5 month old) on my place in Central Texas (Centerville). My property consist of 10 Acres. I have Bahia Grass on most of it. They usually can't keep up with the grass growth and I have to mow it down occasionally.

I usually go see them about once a week and give them some range cubes when I arrive. This gives me an opportunity to see them up close and maybe spray them for fly control etc.. I also keep a mineral block out for them as well.

I wanted to get some opinions on whether supplementing them with range cubes once a week is enough or even required during summer months when my grass grows very well. So well they can't keep up.

Thanks in advance!

On the one hand, no it does not sound like they need to be supplemented. On the other hand, a bag of range cubes once a week allows you to build their trust in you and check them out more closely than might be possible otherwise, so I don't see where it would hurt. Just my thoughts.

It is always a good idea to keep the coming up for inspection. If the grass is good enough quality, supplemenation shouldn't be absolutely neccessary, although many do supplement replacement heifers moderately after weaning to ensure that they have ample nutrition to mature and develop to breed in a timely manner.

Grass quantity and grass quality or two different subjects. Bahia should provide adequate protein in your area until after July 4th. If it stays dry like it has over much of East Texas, we will have to supplement with cottonseed meal in order for the cattle to eat and consume the mature forage. Most people wait until the fall, but grass quality drops in the middle of the summer in Texas below the level needed to maintain a cow with a calf. In your case, yearling heifers require even more nutrition in order to grow and develop.

For some reason, Range Cubes are not real popular around this neck of the woods, but I feed ours some cubes at least once a week just as Greenwillow says to inspect them and keep them knowing who's taking care of them. TXfishing, how do you get away from only checking on them once a week? You must have a good Neighbor there!

If you only see them once a week, you are doing all you can for feeding. I definately would continue feeding them when you go to see them. First, so you can "inspect" them as you say, second the 4-5 month olds NEED the grain if you plan on them growing & developing well to breed.
Personnally, I would have the young heifers on grain daily. They are very young, still should be getting mom's milk. Since they aren't, they need high protein suppliment to grow.
IF your yearlings are already grown out properly for breeding, than the grass should be adequate. If they are small yearlings, they also need suppliment if you plan on getting them bred any time soon.
We grain our replacement heifers after weaning til they are bred, THAN they go out on grass from that time on. We wean around 6-8 months old and they calve at 22-24 months old.
You say you mow the grass. That is great. Keep it up. Otherwise it gets too mature & really doesn't have the protein these heifers need.

I know many people will say they raise their cattle on grass, but calves that young may get stunted (especially on Texas summer grass). Depends, also, on when you want to breed them. Maybe you want to wait till they are 2 years old to breed.

Thanks everybody for the advice.

I live about 100 miles away, however have my parents live near by my property. When I only had the 2 yearlings, I would suppliment them once a week when I show up over the weekend.

Since I purchased the two young calves a few weeks ago, I've had my dad drop by and feed them grain during the middle of the week then I usually show up during the weekend. Really makes two feedings a week since I purchased the small hiefers. Now I know they were a bit too small for purchasing, but want to do the right thing at this point. If I can help it I would like to get these small calves to grow as well as my yearling did in order to breed them.

Thanks

Not a reply to the original question, but here are my 2 cents.

We live 30 minutes from our farm/cattle. We bought a battery operated automatic feeder last fall. Our heifers got fed 3 times per day until a few weeks ago. Worked great. I would be happy to share brand and product with anyone interested.

Farmgirl

Regarding the just recently purchased heifers that you admit were a bit too small -- I don't think you should feel that you're "locked in" to keeping those two small ones. You may lose a little $$ on the round trip with those two if you sold them right now, but have you considered either selling them soon or at the latest in the fall, and then use the proceeds to buy a bred heifer or bred young cow? What are you going to do about a bull to put with the 15 month old heifers?

Sure,
What is the brand name and how much does one cost?

The brand was Sweeney. They are located in Bourne, Texas.

Go to sweeneyfeeders.com

The model we got was the K9. It was designed to feed dogs but worked well for a few (2) heifers. Holds about 75 pounds of feed in the hopper. It cost about $300 plus the solar panel to keep the battery charged. We were well pleased. Would be nice if it held a little more feed but it worked for us.

Good luck.

Farmgirl

Latest posts