to keep or not to keep

Help Support CattleToday:

lilcowgirl

Reaction score
need the pros and cons to a strictly AI herd, we currently have 2 bulls, but we are a small operation of registered herefords. Space and handleablity? is a definite consideration for keeping the bulls. I'm on the fence at this time not knowing for sure what would be best to do. Any helpful advice would be appreciated. these are show animals!

Not sure how many animals you're dealing with, but until we got a little bigger, we were strictly AI. We just recently (last year) kept a bull for cleanup after AI.

I have not owned a bull in over four years, however I only own eleven cows. Even with only a few cows, without syncronization, I am not able to calve my herd within a specific time period. I no longer live on the property, and only see the cows once a day. Calving season at my place is year round.

I would think that if someone is able to spend 30 minutes three times a day observing the cows during breeding season, that 20 - 25 head would be manageable.

we have close to 100 cows all ai'd but we calve all year round beef and dairy mostly beef tho

We considering ourselves a small (22 cows) Polled Hereford operation. We have recently gone 100% AI and have had huge success with it. We sync and use the Heat Watch detection system. Our calving season will be approx. 65 days this spring and we are hoping to get that back to 45-50 the following year.

I have given this alot of thought also.

Given my small herd and the facilities required to AI, I have decided that in the near future, to breed to a standing bull.

I think, you need to consider what is best for your situation and go from there.

Latest posts