TO ALL KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE 1930's 40's 50's 60's and 70's

Help Support CattleToday:

Was thinking of this thread tonight as I had to bust my 8 year olds butt because he thought it was funny to throw manure all over his sister while cleaning the corrals out. Was hard to whip him with out laughing as his sister stood there with manure all over her. :D I am sure they will look back in years and laugh at it.

My oldest brother tells this this tale about me when I was a Kid.
Says on a sunday get together I would go through the front door and out the back and have all the kids crying and the grownups cussing. Maby that's why i remember getting a whooping most ever weekend.

Cal

I grew up in the 70's. My brother and I never had any friends that lived close to us as we always lived out in the middle of nowhere except for about six monthes when we lived in town ONCE. We had forts in every head of woods around for 5 miles. our favorite toys were BB guns and and an hachet. We would build traps to catch all thing real and imaginary. I remember we caught pigeons in old tobacco barns and brought them home Why I dont know but at one time we had 150 pigeons, in a pen we built from odd and ends lieing around the farm. then daddy made us turn them loose.We had great fun growing up and would not change anything..

Bullbuyer":8gk9pdhx said:
My favorite memory - which can not be repeated today - is my buddy from next door being whipped by his mom for back -talkin' her. She whipped him with her SHOE - she kicked it up in the air, caught it and started whippin' that boy all with the skill and speed of a ninja. I laugh everytime I think of that, no permanent scars from being whipped or witnessing it.

Reminded me as a kid, my mom would set in the evenings knitting, she wore slippers. One of us kids would back talk or something, see it in her eye and take off running. She could put her knitting in her lap, take off a slipper an smacks us in the back on a dead run everytime. Then she would make us bring back her slipper. I swore those slippers could go around corners.

Playing football in the yard until way after dark, someone would kick off and you couldn't see the ball until it was just feet away, but you knew it was coming and so were your friends.

Good days!

Born in the late 30's, grew up in the 40's. I too remember hog killing day, was a wonderful time for us. A fried chicken made a wonderful Sunday dinner. Us kids, sometimes me by myself, roamed the creek bottoms and woods around town with no thought to getting into trouble. There were places that were secret back then, like the old Confederate cemetery, that is now a park where everyone can drive up to. Used to pick up pecans "on the halves" for the land owners. Walked miles to the lakes near town to fish with an old cane pole over my shoulder. Started going "coon hunting" with a man who would come by the house and pick me up - those were wonderful times. Like someone else said, we never played in the house. I was outside from early morning till after dark - that is when I wasn't in school. The shoes came off right after school was out for the summer and didn't get put back on until about time to start school in the fall. We rode our bikes around town, miles every day, no thought to being run over by a car. Cost a dime to go to one movie house in town and a quarter to the other, got to go on Saturday afternoon lots of times. Took a job as a janitor in a clinic when I was about 13, no thought to child labor laws, etc.. Started sacking groceries and stocking shelves a little later, and when I turned 16 started to deliver croceries in the store's pickup truck. I wish things were different for my grandkids. I know they have a good life now but it just seems that it would be better if they had to have a little more responsibility for their own selves like we did back then. Oh well, you all get the idea of how I feel.
Bk

In the early sixties I walked 7 miles to see my girl, [my wife now]. The impressive thing about that was it was safe to walk.

rkm":26bdwfhw said:
In the early sixties I walked 7 miles to see my girl, [my wife now]. The impressive thing about that was it was safe to walk.

Precisely. These days kids have to be weary of all the pervs and baby rapers that are a product of a "tolerant" society. Too much tolerance of immoral behavior has lead to such trash being abundant in today's society.

Does anyone else think that MTV may be the devil in disguise? Just take an hour at random some day and watch it. It's pretty bad.

Crowderfarms":1fz0hz4w said:
All I can say is I'm glad there was no Internet, no video games (except Pong?), or the kind of trash that exists on TV today. We had immaginations, fishin' poles, books, played ball,rode bikes, built forts collected Coke bottles that yielded 2 cents each, and were tickled when they went up to a nickel.Ate at the supper table together, said grace, Yes Sir, No Sir, Ma'am.Thank You. Shot out a window with a BB gun got my butt whooped.Did everything as a family.Ate what was on your plate and darn sure liked it.

Sorry Crowder, I'm too young and handsome to remember any of those things.

flaboy+":vtw9xqyg said:
Crowderfarms":vtw9xqyg said:
All I can say is I'm glad there was no Internet, no video games (except Pong?), or the kind of trash that exists on TV today. We had immaginations, fishin' poles, books, played ball,rode bikes, built forts collected Coke bottles that yielded 2 cents each, and were tickled when they went up to a nickel.Ate at the supper table together, said grace, Yes Sir, No Sir, Ma'am.Thank You. Shot out a window with a BB gun got my butt whooped.Did everything as a family.Ate what was on your plate and darn sure liked it.

Did any of y'all hear lightning strike too?

Chris

flaboy+":7b87sb4g said:
Crowderfarms":7b87sb4g said:

I believe you are a good bit older than me. You must have been raised in a bubble. :lol:

BuckBenham":12p0aha6 said:
Used to pick up pecans "on the halves" for the land owners.

As a teen, in the late 60s - early 70s, our church youth group picked up and hulled black walnuts from road right-of-ways and from any property where we could get permission. Sold them at a local feed store and funded most of our years activities.

Latest posts