Titan 5.0 cummins...

Help Support CattleToday:

SALTBRANCH2

Reaction score
My biggest complaint on the truck is the 26 gallon fuel tank. Not really a big deal if you do not tow much or tow very far and I knew the tanks size going in. I found a in bed tank that was 9" depth, 18.5" tall and 59.5" wide. So it did not take up much room. for cargo. It is a 37 gallon tank, I built a subframe and welded the tank to that. I used the track system in the bed to to bolt the tank to, making it easy to remove in case I need warranty work. I am using it as a gravity flow system. I put a ball vale where the fuel exits the tank, just incase I need to shut it off. I T'd into the fill hose, connected the bed tank and all looked well. I went to and filled up the stock tank, put the cap on tight, then put 20 gallons in the bed tank. No issues with any spills, I forgot to mention I added a vent system to the bed tank. Anyways all looks good at this time. I will know for sure when I head to Ks Friday. Lord know I hope it works as planned. I would truly enjoy only having to stop once to get fuel vs the 4-5 times on previous trips.

Brute 23":4meyxyca said:
Where do you fuel up at that lets you put that much diesel in? Most of the gas stations I go to don't let me put more than $75 in.

I go to THE STORE. In Florence Texas they let me buy all the fuel I want......lol

If you're somewhere where they don't know you. And paying at the pump yeah they usually shut off at 75-100 dollars.
Hang it up. Take out a different credit card and rinse and repeat.

Usually doesnt even need to be a different card. I have a slip tank I fill, annoying to keep doing the payment process over again, but I use the same card. Sometimes 5-$600 fill ups. Mines plumbed in with an electric valve, but gravity fed - switch in the cab just lets it drain into the fill tube.

i have an account with the coop which has a big fuel station.. no limits, just pay your monthly statement.

most stations here if you are paying cash they'll let it go to whatever. for CC's.. its usually 100 limit here.

SALTBRANCH2":h0wmh6mu said:
My biggest complaint on the truck is the 26 gallon fuel tank. Not really a big deal if you do not tow much or tow very far and I knew the tanks size going in. I found a in bed tank that was 9" depth, 18.5" tall and 59.5" wide. So it did not take up much room. for cargo. It is a 37 gallon tank, I built a subframe and welded the tank to that. I used the track system in the bed to to bolt the tank to, making it easy to remove in case I need warranty work. I am using it as a gravity flow system. I put a ball vale where the fuel exits the tank, just incase I need to shut it off. I T'd into the fill hose, connected the bed tank and all looked well. I went to and filled up the stock tank, put the cap on tight, then put 20 gallons in the bed tank. No issues with any spills, I forgot to mention I added a vent system to the bed tank. Anyways all looks good at this time. I will know for sure when I head to Ks Friday. Lord know I hope it works as planned. I would truly enjoy only having to stop once to get fuel vs the 4-5 times on previous trips.
On my old Ford I put a T in the factory fill line and capped the the fill off, I just vented and filled through the bed tank. I have a 1500+ mile range between fill ups, I like it, my wife not so much. The problem is my truck turned into a short bed.

You can still buy trucks with dual fuel tanks. The $75 deal has held me back. I know a few places here and there that will go $100 but Im not always around them.

Ive heard you can go to the back with the 18 wheelers, walk in and hand them your card, and fill up. Always felt like that would make some people unhappy.

Brute 23":2tr0zbio said:
Where do you fuel up at that lets you put that much diesel in? Most of the gas stations I go to don't let me put more than $75 in.

I prepaid 100.00 at the register and then pumped. Most of the PATP here are 75.00 also and TBH I rarely PATP anymore with all the skimmers and stuff. I try my best to prepay and fill up these days

True Grit Farms":1rp9kav7 said:
SALTBRANCH2":1rp9kav7 said:
On my old Ford I put a T in the factory fill line and capped the the fill off, I just vented and filled through the bed tank. I have a 1500+ mile range between fill ups, I like it, my wife not so much. The problem is my truck turned into a short bed.
I did that on my Dodges in the Hot shot business. I would use a 90 gallon bed tank but they pulled trailers 99 percent of the time so bed room generally was not that big of an issue. I had some Cab/Chassis trucks with 11' bed and I hung a 50 gallon tank under the bed and used a electric fuel pump on a toggle switch to transfer. Only problem was after I hit the switch to pump I would start day dreaming etc and forget it was on. Usually there was some upset fellow passing and honking at me reminding me to turn it off.... :deadhorse: . I ended having to set a egg timer as a reminder when engaging the pump :cowboy:

kenny thomas":3k2jvedr said:
You guys must be much tougher than I am. I have to stop every 200 miles to stretch and pee.

Me too, problem is there are places around here where it's 300 miles between gas stations :shock:

We left Corpus 1pm Friday, full of fuel with my spare truck loaded on the GN. The new fuel tank worked great. I did have to stop north of Georgetown for my wife to make a bathroom pit stop. She ran in did her thing and we were back on the road. My next stop was somewhere around Ardmore,OK we fueled up grabbed some coffee, got back on the black top headed north. We rolled into Manhattan,Ks right at 2 am. We covered 979 miles in 13 hours. Needless to say the bed tank worked great, no problems and the truck ran great.
I tell ya what it is pretty darn cold here, according to truck it was 15 degrees! We were lucky there was no moisture

SALTBRANCH2":3lg3e9l5 said:
We left Corpus 1pm Friday, full of fuel with my spare truck loaded on the GN. The new fuel tank worked great. I did have to stop north of Georgetown for my wife to make a bathroom pit stop. She ran in did her thing and we were back on the road. My next stop was somewhere around Ardmore,OK we fueled up grabbed some coffee, got back on the black top headed north. We rolled into Manhattan,Ks right at 2 am. We covered 979 miles in 13 hours. Needless to say the bed tank worked great, no problems and the truck ran great.
I tell ya what it is pretty darn cold here, according to truck it was 15 degrees! We were lucky there was no moisture
What did you adverage for mpg?

True Grit Farms":1iugw13l said:
What did you adverage for mpg?
9 mpg, but I was hammering on it pretty hard. I was running anywhere from 80 to 100mpg depending on the hwy and traffic

kenny thomas":4zrra437 said:
You guys must be much tougher than I am. I have to stop every 200 miles to stretch and pee.
150 nowadays, Salt, I checked my rig today, hauling 2 more loads of hay, avg 8.65 in these hills.

I checked the truck computer for this trip earlier when unloading the truck I brought up and loading his 96' Dodge 2500. Our trip on the way home should provide better MPG as I will not be on a time crunch and hauling azz.
Miles were 926.4
Hours were 13.04
MPG: 8.7
My average trip speed was 71mph, not bad and definitely impossible without the extra tank

Latest posts