Tips for Starting a Seedstock Herd

Help Support CattleToday:

Ebenezer said:
In pasture A I have my new bull, let's call him Tom, and the heifers I get from Tom go to pasture B to be breed to a bull, called Lucky, that has no common ancestors with Tom. Then I take the heifers that I get out of the Tom X Lucky breeding and put them back into pasture A to be bred with Tom, their grandsire.

In a perfect world you are culling everything that isn't the best of the best and by the time the bull is breeding his grand daughters it has been four or five years so you are probably think about bulls in a few years.

From what I understand that isn't enough line breeding to really solidify the genetics in those cattle made from the grand sire to grand daughter mating, is that correct?
I think that would put you at 12.5% which is more than a lot of cattle.

Say these grand sire to grand daughter females are top shelf females. Do you breed them back to Tom, their sire, to solidify the genes that made these females great? Do you put them back in pasture B, with Lucky, to just keep repeating the cycle till it's time for new bulls? Or do you AI them to proven bull, further increasing your available gene pool?
You have to have a purpose for the animals before you try to tighten them up. Are Tom and Lucky very similar in type or do you see them correcting each other? Want to sell calves to other folks, then outcross is a good deal. You ought to have some male sibs to the heifers and cows that you could consider if you want to expand your base.

This whole thing made more sense in my head.
Trying to guess is hard. Tom and/or Lucky might not work at all and there you go.

Then what do when it's time for new bulls? Go buy bulls from another top seed stock operation? AI some of the Tom X Lucky X Tom cows with a proven AI bull hoping for a couple new herd bulls that fit your goals as an operation? Keep back some really top notched Tom X Lucky X Tom bull and then have a line breeding that I can't even begin to try to understand right now?
Purpose? Do you see problems? Do you want to fix something? Do you want to start another line from the new bull?... I mean this in a nice way: I sense that you are thinking too far ahead of where you are.

This is very true about me. I just need to focus on breeding good animals right now.

This is very true about me. I just need to focus on breeding good animals right now.
This is my take on the deal. AAA is suffering and admitting it that the chase for $B has wrecked the cow herd at home. Those repairs and changes are in the works right now. So I assume that you want a fertile herd of registered cows that produce acceptable calves. The term "acceptable" is your own target and by your own definition. Where I would focus on that basis is the look for functional cows that are not flawed in some way and are the type you want to multiply. Find a functional bull that matches them in type and is from the same quality dam. Maybe some kinship is available and would not hurt. If you look for an outside bull find a proven bull so that you can see daughters in multiple herds. Are they alike or different? Good or bad? If you cannot find the bull like that now, use a son of one of your starter cows in the next cycle and see how she influences the son and next generation. If you have enough pasture, separation and cow numbers use sons from several of the cows in the same breeding season and get a handle on the cow genetics you have right now at a faster clip.

YoungAngusCattle-
I'm firmly in Ebenezer's camp on this one. This is primarily because i'm interested in the long term goals, and not the short term. I get 30-40 bull sale catalogues from various programs in the mail every year. I always open them and look at the pedigrees. All but one or two have names from all the programs you'd recognize mix and matched, attached to tremendous numbers. Many of them have very glossy photos of very well fed animals. Those expensive catalogues make it into my trashcan in short order. If you want to make it in this world, hire a tremendous marketing team and be prepared to spend a lot of money, and choose something besides Black Angus.
There are a handful of breeders (some of who's names are not known to many) who have actually fixed traits through line breeding that have strengthened the economic traits of the mama cow for the rancher. I would name these as fertility, longevity, efficiency, and convenience. (Convenience means not having to help her in any way...ie. issues with feet, udder, structure, etc. )These would translate into a cow that works in her environment and weans a good calf year after year. If you take the long road, you still have to market, but you will find a demand for your heifers, perhaps more so than your bulls. I have. My belief is that many ranchers/farmer/cattle folks would be more profitable by using a true terminal bull, with those gawdy numbers, and then buying replacement females from folks breeding maternal in a similar environment. Unless they have the size to create their own maternal lines and breed those separate. Burke Techiert talks about this often. Line breeding will not bring you quick money or prestige, but the folks i most respect in the industry were the ones who made a contribution. Larry Leonhardt, Jim Lents, Gavin Falloon, Neil Trask, Roy Beeby, Ed Oliver, Jim Lingle....just to name a few. No matter how you choose to go about this industry, choose something you love. It will make your daily chores seem less like toil, and more like an enjoyable life. Sounds like you're off to a good start.

jdg said:
YoungAngusCattle-
I'm firmly in Ebenezer's camp on this one. This is primarily because i'm interested in the long term goals, and not the short term. I get 30-40 bull sale catalogues from various programs in the mail every year. I always open them and look at the pedigrees. All but one or two have names from all the programs you'd recognize mix and matched, attached to tremendous numbers. Many of them have very glossy photos of very well fed animals. Those expensive catalogues make it into my trashcan in short order. If you want to make it in this world, hire a tremendous marketing team and be prepared to spend a lot of money, and choose something besides Black Angus.
There are a handful of breeders (some of who's names are not known to many) who have actually fixed traits through line breeding that have strengthened the economic traits of the mama cow for the rancher. I would name these as fertility, longevity, efficiency, and convenience. (Convenience means not having to help her in any way...ie. issues with feet, udder, structure, etc. )These would translate into a cow that works in her environment and weans a good calf year after year. If you take the long road, you still have to market, but you will find a demand for your heifers, perhaps more so than your bulls. I have. My belief is that many ranchers/farmer/cattle folks would be more profitable by using a true terminal bull, with those gawdy numbers, and then buying replacement females from folks breeding maternal in a similar environment. Unless they have the size to create their own maternal lines and breed those separate. Burke Techiert talks about this often. Line breeding will not bring you quick money or prestige, but the folks i most respect in the industry were the ones who made a contribution. Larry Leonhardt, Jim Lents, Gavin Falloon, Neil Trask, Roy Beeby, Ed Oliver, Jim Lingle....just to name a few. No matter how you choose to go about this industry, choose something you love. It will make your daily chores seem less like toil, and more like an enjoyable life. Sounds like you're off to a good start.

I breed to terminal bulls and get all kinds of crap for doing it. I do like the results however. Especially from Harvestor and International.

The seedstock business is highly saturated, and the competition is fierce. We are always going to have bulls to sell at Branded, but our focus is on the female.

With the technology behind sexed semen, why not produce 75-100 registered females from bulls like Raindance, Extension, and so on, then have a female sale. They don't take nearly as much effort to develop, they are VERY easy to sell, and life is a lot less stressful.

I've had no shortage of bull buyers that say after they buy a bull "do you have any heifers for sale" that is plural. They want one maybe two bulls, but they would buy 15-20 heifers if they were available.

Kentucky is a great place to raise cattle, a horrible place to sell them.

I've had no shortage of bull buyers that say after they buy a bull "do you have any heifers for sale" that is plural. They want one maybe two bulls, but they would buy 15-20 heifers if they were available.

Which is it? :roll:

76 Bar said:

He touts how ky is a terriable place to sell, how every customer he has is an idiot, and knows nothing about cattle.
Then he says he sells bulls for 3k, and everyone wants more???
:???:

sim.-ang.king said:
76 Bar said:

He touts how ky is a terriable place to sell, how every customer he has is an idiot, and knows nothing about cattle.
Then he says he sells bulls for 3k, and everyone wants more???
:???:

You are an expert in backgrounding cattle, I'm sure you are beating a path to get some cattle from the area where Bright Raven and I operate.

If you disagree with what I say, why isn't Kentucky the best place in the country to sell your cattle? We have the best facilities at Bluegrass in Lexington, probably the best in the country, but where are the high prices?

I don't call my customers idiots. None have EVER been called "idiots"

What I do say is this, if you have a herd that's all over the place, every breed and cross imaginable, then complain that you do poorly on your steers, which are out of a mystery bull, then yes, you need some help.

If you lose 1/2 your herd to disease or starvation, then yes you leave a lot to be desired.

Kentucky is a tough place to sell. Mention $4-5k for a bull and you will see 95% of your buyers drop off. That is not the case out west or up north. A high quality bull is not appreciated as much as a "bargain" that's the truth.

I never said "they know nothing" BUT when you speak with buyers who have no clue what carriers are nor do they care, you will see what I'm talking about. Breeding soundness exam? Why? "He looks ok to me" That's what I'm talking about.

If you, or anyone else steps foot on our operation and you are sincere and serious about a bull then you will be treated with respect. If you are looking for an $800 bull, then your out of luck. If you take offense to that, then I don't know what to say.

76 Bar said:

I'm pretty sure I would get a premium in other states. One of my friends sell his steers in Missouri, why? Because he makes a premium there versus Kentucky.

YoungAngusCattle said:

What I don't understand is using the top AI bulls on your cows to sell seedstock, shouldn't you use your own genetic lines to sell animals? If somebody wanted a SAV lines why wouldn't they just go to SAV?

Exactly!!!

gcreekrch said:
YoungAngusCattle said:

What I don't understand is using the top AI bulls on your cows to sell seedstock, shouldn't you use your own genetic lines to sell animals? If somebody wanted a SAV lines why wouldn't they just go to SAV?

Exactly!!!

I have a President son going into production this fall. Would you rather have Grandsons of President or direct sons?

My President will no doubt perform, but is he THE President, nope!

Same with Hoover Dam, would you prefer a direct son or a grandson, great grandson?

For me it would be VERY easy to have a 50 bull production sale in 2020 which is completely from natural service bulls from sons of top sires, anybody can do that. Show me a sale however that has 50 direct sons of President? That's a whole different story.

If I wanted to do things the easy way, I would let sons take care of everything, put together a sales brochure that is all fluff, have an auction and call it a day.

AI'ng is hard work compared to letting bulls do the job.

Maybe you are right, maybe I'm working way too hard.

I'm pretty sure I would get a premium in other states.
Lots between the lip and the cup. By guess and by golly ain't the same as a proven track record. 0:roll:
One of my friends sell his steers in Missouri, why? Because he makes a premium there versus Kentucky.
Simple solution...send your steers to Missouri and reap the rewards.
We have the best facilities at Bluegrass in Lexington, probably the best in the country, but where are the high prices?
Quality, reputation cattle are paramount to bringing top dollar in their respective locales. Facilities are meaningless in the big picture.
If you, or anyone else steps foot on our operation and you are sincere and serious about a bull then you will be treated with respect. If you are looking for an $800 bull, then your out of luck.
That says volumes. :frowns:

76 Bar said:
Lots between the lip and the cup. By guess and by golly ain't the same as a proven track record. 0:roll:
One of my friends sell his steers in Missouri, why? Because he makes a premium there versus Kentucky.
We have the best facilities at Bluegrass in Lexington, probably the best in the country, but where are the high prices?
Quality, reputation cattle are paramount to bringing top dollar in their respective locales. Facilities are meaningless in the big picture.
If you, or anyone else steps foot on our operation and you are sincere and serious about a bull then you will be treated with respect. If you are looking for an $800 bull, then your out of luck.

Frown all you want, paint me how you will, but try this as an experiment. Go to a Ford dealer, or any brand for that matter, but let's assume Ford, and tell the dealership this "I'm a good fellar, I try hard, and what I'm looking for is this, I want to buy a 2019 F450 King Ranch and my budget is $15k, what do you have available?" chances are excellent that you will be laughed out of the dealership.

If you or any other breeders on CT are willing to sell your bulls for $800, please send me your number, and I will send you a boatload of clients in return. One caveat, you must sell them top notch, service ready, registered bulls. No scrubs! You must sell your best quality for sub $1k.

If you take that deal, you will certainly have reason to frown.

You guys think I mistreat people, that's not the case, I just don't give away my animals. I'm running a "for profit" organization, not a charity.

76 Bar said:

As for the infrastructure comment. We here in Kentucky have all we need to produce a premium product. We have it all, seriously.

What's lacking is quality. Deny it all you want but that's a fact.

I agree, no matter how nice things are, if the cattle suck they suck, right?

************* said:
gcreekrch said:
YoungAngusCattle said:

Exactly!!!

I have a President son going into production this fall. Would you rather have Grandsons of President or direct sons?

My President will no doubt perform, but is he THE President, nope!

Same with Hoover Dam, would you prefer a direct son or a grandson, great grandson?

For me it would be VERY easy to have a 50 bull production sale in 2020 which is completely from natural service bulls from sons of top sires, anybody can do that. Show me a sale however that has 50 direct sons of President? That's a whole different story.

If I wanted to do things the easy way, I would let sons take care of everything, put together a sales brochure that is all fluff, have an auction and call it a day.

AI'ng is hard work compared to letting bulls do the job.

Maybe you are right, maybe I'm working way too hard.
If you truly believe in EPDs and genetic testing the next generation is always better and 2 years of such with AI puts you 15 years ahead is somewhat of what you said before. So why keep going back to older generations if new is better?

This has been a good thread, I enjoy hearing different opinions on how best to raise and market cattle.

I'm pretty sure I would get a premium in other states. One of my friends sell his steers in Missouri, why? Because he makes a premium there versus Kentucky.
[/quote]

Branded one thing no one has discussed is the difference in transportation and feedcost in the southeast vs out west. Both have a major impact in price paid.

Gizmom

gizmom said:
This has been a good thread, I enjoy hearing different opinions on how best to raise and market cattle.

Branded one thing no one has discussed is the difference in transportation and feedcost in the southeast vs out west. Both have a major impact in price paid.

Gizmom
[/quote]

Perhaps, but it seems that cattle out west and up north are a profession not a hobby, even worse a way to keep your weeds down.

************* said:
gizmom said:

Gizmom

Perhaps, but it seems that cattle out west and up north are a profession not a hobby, even worse a way to keep your weeds down.
[/quote]
Branded: you put your whole state on blast, talking about the poor quality of cattle yada yada yada. Isn't Boyd in your neighborhood? There are also a lot of other Angus seedstock farms in Kentucky, along with other breeds. Just using very basic information, one can tell there is quality cattle in Kentucky. Some of your neighbors might have a bunch of ruddy cattle, who should never reproduce (either the farmer or cattle). But we all got folks like that around us. Trust me every where in this country seed stock guys have to prove the value of the animals they sell. Especially with the over abundance of Angus. Quit complaining about your market and make one. And quit talking about President as if everyone wants that bull, he wasn't even in the top 30 this last year. It's ironic you make inferences that no one in your area doesn't want a Grandson of an AI, only sons, but in the next thread you claim your customer base is a bunch of unsophisticated dolts, who have no clue about pedigree or epd's. Pick your story, it can't be both. I like to see what you got going on, but honestly I'm really confused about your operation, have no idea what your trying to accomplish, but I see you criticizing your neighbors and folks on CT criticizing you. Cattle is my hobby, I own my own business and when I started out, I laid out a business plan, knowing the customer base around me, but I want my company to have the culture I want, not dictated by those customers. I picked the lane I wanted to drive my company in and we have held steadfast to it. Not criticizing my customers or my competitors. Every day is focus on what I want my company to stand for. It's not good enough to say I want to be better than other companies, but how will we be different and how do we create a dynamic culture for our clients so they stay with us and tell others about us. It's the same with cattle.

CreekAngus said:
************* said:
gizmom said:

Gizmom

Branded: you put your whole state on blast, talking about the poor quality of cattle yada yada yada. Isn't Boyd in your neighborhood? There are also a lot of other Angus seedstock farms in Kentucky, along with other breeds. Just using very basic information, one can tell there is quality cattle in Kentucky. Some of your neighbors might have a bunch of ruddy cattle, who should never reproduce (either the farmer or cattle). But we all got folks like that around us. Trust me every where in this country seed stock guys have to prove the value of the animals they sell. Especially with the over abundance of Angus. Quit complaining about your market and make one. And quit talking about President as if everyone wants that bull, he wasn't even in the top 30 this last year. It's ironic you make inferences that no one in your area doesn't want a Grandson of an AI, only sons, but in the next thread you claim your customer base is a bunch of unsophisticated dolts, who have no clue about pedigree or epd's. Pick your story, it can't be both. I like to see what you got going on, but honestly I'm really confused about your operation, have no idea what your trying to accomplish, but I see you criticizing your neighbors and folks on CT criticizing you. Cattle is my hobby, I own my own business and when I started out, I laid out a business plan, knowing the customer base around me, but I want my company to have the culture I want, not dictated by those customers. I picked the lane I wanted to drive my company in and we have held steadfast to it. Not criticizing my customers or my competitors. Every day is focus on what I want my company to stand for. It's not good enough to say I want to be better than other companies, but how will we be different and how do we create a dynamic culture for our clients so they stay with us and tell others about us. It's the same with cattle.
[/quote]

Creek, I do put them on blast. What's wrong with that? Do you want me to congratulate producers that run below average operations?

I am fully aware that there are some very good operations here. I'm also aware that there are some horrid operations in this state. I think Bright Raven would probably concur on that one.

But with that said, you make a lot of sense in what you stated above.

It's probably for the best that I do my thing, and everyone else does theirs. Why stress out about a situation that will not change even if the prospect of losing one's farm is on the horizon, which for many is a distinct possibility.

Not everyone needs a son of President or Cowboy Up for that matter, but what they do need is to work on their overall quality, herd health, and image.

Would you buy a new truck that had crumbs in the seat, and someone had smoked in it, and the whole thing was muddy? Maybe you would if it was a deal, but most folks want something that is nice and presentable. It's hard to call a lot of what I see around me presentable. I don't see a lot of cattle where I want to stop by the farm and say "wow your cattle look great, what are you doing to make them look so good" Ask Ron, that rarely happens around here.

You mention Boyd's. I think everyone should put that much effort into their cattle, or at least strive to do that. I assure you, they would be a lot happier when they sell their cattle at market.

Yesterday, I sold 3 bulls, or more like they sold themselves. One take away, the guy took one look at the overall herd and I know felt confident in what he was buying. He saw healthy animals, and subconciously that goes a long ways. He commented, "they have been well taken care of". That's not rocket science to achieve, it takes labor, and pride in what you do. I'm not asking for producers here to produce the next Hoover Dam, just try and give a sh.t about improving. Stop thinking you know it all, and most of all stop trying to emulate what your great, great grandfather did. Chances are he would be struggling in today's economy.

I give you the last word on this topic. I've said what I need to say, and will not further expound on it. Only time will tell if I was right, or completely wrong about Kentucky cattle, but either way, big changes are coming in the years ahead. Those unwilling to adapt will be toast.

Latest posts