Tips for making it rain...

Help Support CattleToday:

bball

Reaction score

Been real dry here last month (sorry Texans). Need some rain. None in forecast for a week atleast. So, today seemed like a good day to pour cows and calfs for fly control. Wouldn't you know it- just finish and is starts banking up all around. So, short of the usual things like washing your truck, mowing hay, and pouring cattle; any other tips to make it rain?

bball":3ngz2njx said:

Been real dry here last month (sorry Texans). Need some rain. None in forecast for a week atleast. So, today seemed like a good day to pour cows and calfs for fly control. Wouldn't you know it- just finish and is starts banking up all around. So, short of the usual things like washing your truck, mowing hay, and pouring cattle; any other tips to make it rain?
Move to east Texas rain problem solved.
Just got run in by a thunder storm I haven't put a tractor in the pasture yet.
Sure wish I could figure out a way to share.

CJC, speak for yourself.. Just a couple hours north of you is a desert.. Last year was really dry at probably only 8" rainfall for the year... This year has been cooler, and we've had a few sprinkles, but nothing much to really add up.

Tell the wife to hang some laundry out to dry.. that's well known to make it rain!

bball":hfw36ywg said:
So, short of the usual things like washing your truck, mowing hay, and pouring cattle; any other tips to make it rain?

Leaving windows open seems to work pretty well.

When I heard we were going to talk about making it rain, I thought this was going to be much more fun, lol.

Pouring the calfs worked pretty well. We ended up with a much needed 7/10ths. Glad i held off on roundup of fencelines. FIL farm is 40 minutes north-grass has been burned up for 2 weeks now. Drier than a nuns crotch up thataway.

CJC":1xv9x62q said:
Nesikep - We had the same issue last year. It's been better this year thank goodness. Grass is so long we cant see the herd.
it was sure hot last year,.. 35C or more from may through august, and not a drop of rain

CJC":kj94gclu said:
Nesikep":kj94gclu said:
CJC":kj94gclu said:
Nesikep - We had the same issue last year. It's been better this year thank goodness. Grass is so long we cant see the herd.
it was sure hot last year,.. 35C or more from may through august, and not a drop of rain

Yes we had the same problem. In the lower mainland last year the only people we could find round bales from wanted $120 a bale! Hoping you guys have a better, wetter year up there this year.

We are.. It rained on my hay last night in fact!

Was a warm day today with a stiff wind.. dried it back out again, and also dried my seed bed out pretty good too.

I have heard that running naked from the house to the barn will make it rain. It may just be a rumor or an old wife's tale. I don't know because I live in Western Washington where simply waking up in the morning will make it rain the majority of the time.

Dave":2a0b25vr said:
I have heard that running naked from the house to the barn will make it rain. It may just be a rumor or an old wife's tale. I don't know because I live in Western Washington where simply waking up in the morning will make it rain the majority of the time.

Dave, I would do that, but I'm trying to make it rain; not have the Mrs. chasing after me. :lol2:

Instead, I sprayed round up on fence lines yesterday afternoon, and we are getting hit with a good storm-high winds, hail, and some much needed H2Os!

Latest posts