Tipping with power tools

Help Support CattleToday:

Tipping is not the same as dehorning. Tipping a cow or bull is cutting the tip of the horn off to removed the sharp point. Dehorning (at least to me) is the complete removal of the horn - a messy job that's real risky to do on mature stock. I did have to dehorn a bull who cracked his horn - it turned black within a couple days of the incident. What a mess.

Tipping's mainly done with rodeo bulls for safety reasons. Most shows mandate the bulls horns be tipped to a diameter greater than a $0.25 piece.

Eventually the bulls sharpen up their horns again - usually have to tip twice a year.

I've done some cows as well if they are the kind that go to gettin hookey with the other cows and cause em injury.

As for the recreational activity "cow tipping", I shoot people who do that on my property <wink & grin>.

Mike Bishop - http://www.flbullrider.com

flbullrider":iilv7fou said:
Tipping is not the same as dehorning. Tipping a cow or bull is cutting the tip of the horn off to removed the sharp point. Dehorning (at least to me) is the complete removal of the horn - a messy job that's real risky to do on mature stock. I did have to dehorn a bull who cracked his horn - it turned black within a couple days of the incident. What a mess.

Tipping's mainly done with rodeo bulls for safety reasons. Most shows mandate the bulls horns be tipped to a diameter greater than a $0.25 piece.

Eventually the bulls sharpen up their horns again - usually have to tip twice a year.

I've done some cows as well if they are the kind that go to gettin hookey with the other cows and cause em injury.

As for the recreational activity "cow tipping", I shoot people who do that on my property <wink & grin>.

Mike Bishop - http://www.flbullrider.com

Be careful there bullrider it's not nice to disagree with some of these folks. You might get the wrath of them sent down on you for questioning them like the Flaboy did.

I agree with you though. Tipping is the act of just taking the tip off of the horn and not a dehorning process. In most cases tipping is completely bloodless while dehorning can be a mess. I use a guillotine type dehorner for dehorning and tipping. Like you said bull riding safety and hooking cows.

Latest posts