Tipping with power tools

Help Support CattleToday:

flbullrider

Reaction score
Anyone have experience tipping cattle with power tools? I've always used a bow saw, which works OK but takes a while and I always wind up cutting myself with the saw if the animal makes even the slightest movement.

I've *seen* it done with a DeWalt cordless circular saw. I was thinking about using a cordless reciprocating saw.

However I was told by a couple fellas it's a bad idea because the noise of the saw will make the stock real nervous, they'll start thrashin' around in the chute.

Mike Bishop - http://www.flbullrider.com

i always use a hack saw. i think the noise from the electric saw would really scare the cow. i also would be very afraid for an electric saw because the cow can move and throw the live, moving saw blade into you and could really be dangerous---good luck

Tipping?

A new term to me.

We cut 'em off in lots of different ways - but to take a few inches off the end I have found wire saws to be quick, clean, quiet and I never worry about cutting something I do not have want to cut. Beats the heck cutters, shears, and so on.

Bez

Must admit Ya'll lost me for a second on the "tipping" Tipping is what kids do to sleeping cows but that is another story. I've used hand saws, hack saws, but the wire saw works best to dehorn.

Bama":3j8j3tbo said:
Must admit Ya'll lost me for a second on the "tipping" Tipping is what kids do to sleeping cows but that is another story. I've used hand saws, hack saws, but the wire saw works best to dehorn.

I got lost too. We got the big limb trimmer looking type. Seen blood shoot a good distance.

I have no desire to use the method, but most cordless tools are pretty quiet, and I should know. I work with a number of them every day. We have a cordless circular saw that is very quiet.

greenwillowherefords":hwlj875f said:
I have no desire to use the method, but most cordless tools are pretty quiet, and I should know. I work with a number of them every day. We have a cordless circular saw that is very quiet.

Me either. That why I talked my dad into homo polled bulls years ago. Haven't had to dehorn since. Still got the tool though.

of all the work i do with cattle, dehorning is the one thing that always bothers me, but when you can buy horned cows for 100-200 less that cows with no horns and then dehorn them and resell them, it means i do alot of dehorning. hacksaw about 2 inches from the head in the manner i have posted before seems to cause the least injury and suffering, but the wire saw will work just as well---or maybe better if i became used to it

It might be a good idea to explain to the beginners what 'tipping' is. In a nutshell, I would say it's dehorning. How many terms are there for dehorning?

Dick

icandoit":1xud7v3t said:
It might be a good idea to explain to the beginners what 'tipping' is. In a nutshell, I would say it's dehorning. How many terms are there for dehorning?

Dick

Tipping is just taking the point off and leaving the majority of the horn. That way they just beat the crap out of you with their horns and not poke you. :D

Wewild":a4766x5b said:
Bama":a4766x5b said:

I got lost too. We got the big limb trimmer looking type. Seen blood shoot a good distance.

We always put a tight twine around the hornbase , before we touch horns.
It puts pressure on the vein on the back of the head . Very little blood that way. We take the twine off in a couple days.

denoginnizer":2eqacwg2 said:
Anyone tried a wire saw?

once, but it worked me more than i like. :roll: usually use a hack saw, but the one i like the best is a reciprocating saw... was fast.

jt

To me tipping is catching a cow near asleep standing up and pushing it over. Some rouge kids kids do this from time to time. Cutting any part of the horn off is dehorning. Just goes to show differant terms used in differant parts of the country.