Tip from my son

Help Support CattleToday:

jedstivers":15wx2235 said:
I thought the tier 4 was already in place. It is on the tractors and big trucks I know.
I have a 15 duramax that has all the emissions stiff on it.

I googled it and it sounded like it went into effect in 2011 as best I could tell. I know the head guy at Dodge refused to put it in their trucks and was fined $2000 for each diesel truck they sold but he said the technology wasn't proven and repairs on the system would cost the consumer thousands to fix so for customer loyalty he just paid the fine and didn't put it in till 2013(?) when he had no choice but to stick it in.

Google 2016 CAFE standards. Automakers have to meet a 28.8 mpg average on trucks sold in the U.S. by 2017. This may have something to do with it.

B&M Farms":mixal5nm said:
Google 2016 CAFE standards. Automakers have to meet a 28.8 mpg average on trucks sold in the U.S. by 2017. This may have something to do with it.

That must be it. Based on the article the cost of implementation is estimated to be less than $1000 but it will save you and estimated $4000 in fuel. I hope someone tells Detroit their numbers are off.

Jogeephus":3o2dw0ur said:
D2Cat":3o2dw0ur said:
In reference to Jo's sons information, isn't this what tier 4 engines are all about?

It just puzzles me why they have to screw with things. I bought a new tractor and its got all these clean emissions gadgets on it. What makes no sense to me is have to run the tractor at higher rpm's than I would normally would else the computer will shut the tractor down to clean the emissions so now I have to burn more fuel to do the same job. :???:

Unless it is different than my uncles new JD 5085 it will use quite a bit more fuel than a pre-tier 3 or 4 engine. I ran it some last summer with a disc mower and it used considerably more fuel than our old 5510 which has five more hp at the pto. It is smooth and comfy, but dang it likes the fuel.

hillbilly beef man":vthb9mjd said:
Jogeephus":vthb9mjd said:
D2Cat":vthb9mjd said:
In reference to Jo's sons information, isn't this what tier 4 engines are all about?

It just puzzles me why they have to screw with things. I bought a new tractor and its got all these clean emissions gadgets on it. What makes no sense to me is have to run the tractor at higher rpm's than I would normally would else the computer will shut the tractor down to clean the emissions so now I have to burn more fuel to do the same job. :???:

Unless it is different than my uncles new JD 5085 it will use quite a bit more fuel than a pre-tier 3 or 4 engine. I ran it some last summer with a disc mower and it used considerably more fuel than our old 5510 which has five more hp at the pto. It is smooth and comfy, but dang it likes the fuel.

Mine uses more for the same job too but I guess if I were making around $0.30 for each gallon of fuel sold I'd be pushing it too. Screw fuel savings when there is money to be made.

Jogeephus":imca5bzp said:
B&M Farms":imca5bzp said:

That must be it. Based on the article the cost of implementation is estimated to be less than $1000 but it will save you and estimated $4000 in fuel. I hope someone tells Detroit their numbers are off.

These yo-yo's want to price diesel at $5.00/gal, so their numbers will work. Local here is about $3.35. The EPA is a politcal agency, no longer an environmental agency. If you mine coal, or if your work requires a 350 hp Diesel engine in a pickup, you are the enemy. If you are a trial attorney, earning $1 million/yr and driving a prius, God bless you.
Some people can't get by with a Prius. And some folk need coal to afford electricity.

Latest posts