Tiny newborn

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes, they're complete and healthy. Interesting on the hardware disease was that an autopsy or some kind of scan -metal detector? I spent days and days removing old fencing, dragging magnets over my field...even the little lead roofing nail caps i pick up...anything that's i have control over to help my cattle.
The cows weren't posted. Vet diagnosed the first one after she calved, and her calf was orphaned at 9 weeks. I already recognized the signs on the 2nd cow. We've been hit twice by tornadoes and there's a lot of debris that logistically can't be picked up with the magnet, so now every cow, bull & retained heifer has a magnet.

Yes, they're complete and healthy. Interesting on the hardware disease was that an autopsy or some kind of scan -metal detector? I spent days and days removing old fencing, dragging magnets over my field...even the little lead roofing nail caps i pick up...anything that's i have control over to help my cattle.
The cause of hardware disease is not limited to ferrous metal or even non ferrous metals. Could even be caused by a sharp rock.

My three calves were all born in May when the heatwave started here. Within 3 days the moms were bringing the calves to the water trough located under an oak tree. I run water on the ground in that area and they've been resting there every afternoon. They're big enough now to reach the water in the trough but I'm still going to get a lower version for them. Too hot not to try everything I can think of.

The cause of hardware disease is not limited to ferrous metal or even non ferrous metals. Could even be caused by a sharp rock.
Or glass, hard plastic, shard of fiberglass pipe, honey locust thorn - basically anything sharp they ingest because they're indiscriminate eaters. Lost one 4 years ago to hardware and have another now that is showing the signs: brisket is larger than normal even though she is losing condition, starting to sag under the jaw and she was the first one that calved this year, 5 weeks earlier than anticipated (and her calf is a dink). It's possible, but unlikely both of them passed their magnet.

That seems like a lot of deaths. Did you check the bite on the dead calves for underbite? Also, you can cut the calf open and check the heart and lungs. If the heart has an enlarged right ventricle and an underbite, it was likely exposed to pesticides that disrupt fetal development. The lungs are also usually affected, with white areas on the lungs or inflammation of the lungs. If the lungs are inflamed, the lung surface is kind of bumpy and not smooth like it should be. You do not have to be a science major to see these things, so you can examine your calves and don't have to pay a veterinarian to do it. If the calves have a normal bite and the heart and lungs appear to be normal, the deaths are likely from some other cause. I think I put a photo document on that shows what a normal heart looks like on white-tailed deer in comparison with hearts from white-tailed deer both fawns and adults with various amounts of enlargement of the right ventricle. Hearts from other mammals and from birds that died often had the right ventricle enlarged, especially if they had birth defects, like underbite, overbite, contracted tendons, herniated umbilicus, disrupted hair or feather development or other.

Attachments

• Heart and Lung Photos-Data PDF (WP).pdf
    4.9 MB · Views: 8
That seems like a lot of deaths. Did you check the bite on the dead calves for underbite? Also, you can cut the calf open and check the heart and lungs. If the heart has an enlarged right ventricle and an underbite, it was likely exposed to pesticides that disrupt fetal development. The lungs are also usually affected, with white areas on the lungs or inflammation of the lungs. If the lungs are inflamed, the lung surface is kind of bumpy and not smooth like it should be. You do not have to be a science major to see these things, so you can examine your calves and don't have to pay a veterinarian to do it. If the calves have a normal bite and the heart and lungs appear to be normal, the deaths are likely from some other cause. I think I put a photo document on that shows what a normal heart looks like on white-tailed deer in comparison with hearts from white-tailed deer both fawns and adults with various amounts of enlargement of the right ventricle. Hearts from other mammals and from birds that died often had the right ventricle enlarged, especially if they had birth defects, like underbite, overbite, contracted tendons, herniated umbilicus, disrupted hair or feather development or other.
The ones that I did look at, the bite seemed fine. I am thinking now is that I had a scours problem. I am going to vaccinate for scours next year.

Wish I knew the outcome here...

Had one born today and temps near 100 degrees. Big strong bull calf.
This heat bothers me tho. I've got 1 more about to pop anytime. They will be moving to fall calving.

Anyone have experience with heat and newborns??
Full size or tiny calves either one!

I got him tagged and banded. He was sleeping. Mama came to life so I couldn't move him to the shade. He's laying in the dang sun
heat doesn't seem to bother calves around here. working or moving cows can be a problem, but just having them born when it is hot doesn't seem to be a problem. I wouldn't worry, especially if they have shade they can get into.

heat doesn't seem to bother calves around here. working or moving cows can be a problem, but just having them born when it is hot doesn't seem to be a problem. I wouldn't worry, especially if they have shade they can get into.
Yep!
The 2 full size calves I've had born in this heat have done ok.
So I guess I worry for nothing... 😆

Latest posts