Tiny Little Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Randi i think Robert posted something back when the angus genetic problems were going on about little bitty calves. Don't remember for sure.

i would be real interested to know the bloodlines behind this, there have been some 'itty-bitty' calves as they have been labeled, essentially proportional dwarfs, fawn calves tend to be closer to 'normal' size, weakness in the hind quarters is typical. If you are not comfortable naming names on pedigree online then pm me. As I'm sure you know, there's lots of reasons for funky looking calves, not all genetic, but as an Angus breeder I want to know what is going on, even if our association chooses to turn a blind eye....

randiliana":3k9xnwgw said:
Hey, Kathie, definitely no hard feelings. I was just curious if anyone knew why. I looked Fawn Calf up, and by the description that isn't what we had.
I didn't know there was a "fawn calf" term. Ours was just so little, she was more like a fawn than a "real" calf.

Robert, I really don't have any idea what bloodlines there might be. It is out of a crossbred heifer that was part of a group of over 300. There would have been about 12 bull out with them, and since we don't own them I don't have access to the papers on the bulls either.

Our highest priced calf...around 5k was a tiny bull calf. I kept him with plans of steering him and taking him to schools to teach kids about cattle. His mom was a show heifer and we took him to a major livestock show. He quickly sold to a lowline cattle breeder that hoped he had a mutated gene. My husband hated that calf until the check was in hand. I often wonder if his offspring were tiny too. The guy stated if calves were large he would keep him for a pet. If I had the guys number, I would call and ask.

ffamom":r1x5vsyh said:
Our highest priced calf...around 5k was a tiny bull calf. I kept him with plans of steering him and taking him to schools to teach kids about cattle. His mom was a show heifer and we took him to a major livestock show. He quickly sold to a lowline cattle breeder that hoped he had a mutated gene. My husband hated that calf until the check was in hand. I often wonder if his offspring were tiny too. The guy stated if calves were large he would keep him for a pet. If I had the guys number, I would call and ask.

sounds like he did have a mutated gene, sounds like dwarfism, which to my knowledge the lowlines don't have..........
want to disclose the pedigree?

Randi made a sound decision in my book. And, if the calf was unwilling/unable to suck - there was no way she could pass a tube to force feed. Maybe there's a lamb tuber that might work. Time is money - cut your loss & keep trucking.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":12htve2x said:
Randi made a sound decision in my book. And, if the calf was unwilling/unable to suck - there was no way she could pass a tube to force feed. Maybe there's a lamb tuber that might work. Time is money - cut your loss & keep trucking.
That is because she cannot get stand up, therefore she cannot sucking. :roll:

Well --- a calf can suck even if it can't stand. Those are two different issues. She had a calf that was too weak to stand and/or suck. Only option would be to tube it - but this calf was way too small for a tuber.

Latest posts