Time to Re-enroll

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
I hate insurance, especially health insurance. Every year the coverage is worse and the price sky rockets. This year for the worst health insurance plan the price is $920 for the family. The school district contributes $285. So I my check will be $635 less per month for a plan with a deductible of $2400 and doesn't cover office visits. If I was brave, I would go without.

How much do you pay for yours?

We don't have any. No bravery involved though. We're self employed and prices are just too high. I'm 45 and Mr. is 60. We're pretty healthy, don't need to go to doctor much and it's alot cheaper to just pay for it when we do go than pay $600-700 month for insurance that we never used when we did have it. Office visits only run about $80 and we force the Dr. to talk about cost of things. Most just want to do stuff for CYA reasons.
Not that I advocate going without ins, just something we decided for ourselves.

ffamom, if you have it, do what you must to keep it. No matter what you pay, if something catastrophic happens and I sure hope it does not (but it can, even to youngsters), you will be in deep yogurt if you don't have it. Don't ask how I know this!

my wife and i get free insurance at work(gong to have to start paying taxes on the cost, thanks BHO)
we have a catastrophic insurance plan on our daughter and it has an extremely high deductible, so we save on the premium and pay for the small stuff out of pocket but have insurance just in case.

My retirement insurance through UPS costs me $50 a month. That covers my wife and me. I picked up insurance through my present employer as a supplement which costs me about $95 a month. Betwen the two of them I've got pretty good coverage. Last spring I had a colonoscopy, a stress test, an EKG, chest x-ray and a couple of other things done. Total bill was just under $12,000 and I didn't pay a dime.

Self employed and either brave or stupid. I got the kids insurance but me and the wife pay out of pocket.
Can't afford insurance on the whole family. But I make sure my life insurance is paid up just in case. They'll be set off that

ffamom":3nui2qbq said:
Wow Van. I'm jealous.

Trust me, I know just how lucky I am. I've known folks that spend a fortune on health insurance or have thousands in medical bills hanging over their heads. Sometimes both. It's never been an issue with me or my family.

Insurance is a scam. :D
Your co-pay is what the doctor would charge you if it was a face-to-face transaction. The rest goes to his office staff to argue with the insurance company staff about what should be paid.
Open a new medical school in every state (50 of them) and lets see what that does for costs.

ffamom":2w578sk1 said:
I hate insurance, especially health insurance. Every year the coverage is worse and the price sky rockets. This year for the worst health insurance plan the price is $920 for the family. The school district contributes $285. So I my check will be $635 less per month for a plan with a deductible of $2400 and doesn't cover office visits. If I was brave, I would go without.

Obamacare is right around the corner. guaranteed to cut cost or eliminate them, improve coverage in all areas and be the best thing ever. (Well that's what he said)

TexasBred":1fwo7p78 said:
ffamom":1fwo7p78 said:

Obamacare is right around the corner. guaranteed to cut cost or eliminate them, improve coverage in all areas and be the best thing ever. (Well that's what he said)
Yea when it was passed our renewal price tripled ...

You got to have health insurance these days, if you got to stay in the hospital even 1 week, it could bankrupt you. Some people I know, they had health insurance most of their lives, it got too expensive thru where he worked so they dropped it. His wife had a problem was in the hospital for a week, the bill is $60,000-thats gonna take them a long time to pay that off- Now they are wishing they would have kept the insurance.
Anymore hosptials can just make arrangements and get a automatic payment out of your checks, gone are the days when they let you make payments and didn't charge you interest.
Seems around here the only businesses doing good are the doctors.hospitals, building new facilities left and right. I think there should be a set figure for each procedure, not just that they can charge whatever they want.
The plan we have just switched networks, luckily I get to go back to all my old doctors again-I can go anywhere but will have to pay far less if I stay in the network-which I am surely going to do-

As soon as husseincare passed, my premiums went up 30%, just in anticipation. Luckily, that was balanced out by a 30% reduction in benefits, so it all came out even. :lol2:

Around here, that week in the hospital would probably have been more like $200,000.

john250":26cftmje said:
Insurance is a scam. :D
Your co-pay is what the doctor would charge you if it was a face-to-face transaction. The rest goes to his office staff to argue with the insurance company staff about what should be paid.
Open a new medical school in every state (50 of them) and lets see what that does for costs.

Here, what is paid for a face-to-face transaction with no insurance is $160 or thereabouts.

retired from postal service. every year cost goes up. getting less and paying more.another 20 years and i will have no retirement. it wll all go to pay health insurance. what are you gonna do? I have heard that the number one cause of bankruptcies is medical bills.

VanC":12f9ebsm said:
My retirement insurance through UPS costs me $50 a month. That covers my wife and me. I picked up insurance through my present employer as a supplement which costs me about $95 a month. Betwen the two of them I've got pretty good coverage. Last spring I had a colonoscopy, a stress test, an EKG, chest x-ray and a couple of other things done. Total bill was just under $12,000 and I didn't pay a dime.

Mine's almost as good on the coverage cost me 48 bucks on the gall bladder/hernia surgery in Sept. premiums run 450 a month.

Latest posts