Time for a new superduty Your thoughts

Help Support CattleToday:

Agboy

Reaction score
I know theres a lot off Ford guys on here me included. Im thinking abouttrading my reg cab7.3 superduty off for a new one. Its 2003 with 45,000 miles. Just curious if any off you have a new 2006 SD with the 6.0. Curious on your impressions off the 2006 truck. Ive have had great luck with my 2003 truck. But its a Ford so I expect it to be good an after 25 years they havent let me down yet. Thanks for your time everybody.

my son bought a 2005 F-350 with a 6.0L...he kept it about 2 months and traded it in for an older F-350 with a 7.3L...I guess he thinks the 7.3L is a better engine...I still have an 89 F-250 with a 7.3L...its got 355,000 miles and still runs very good...I wont trust any truck except for a Ford :)

A few of my friends have the newer 6.0 trucks. Every one of them that pulls a lot with them says the older 7.3s were much better trucks. Not trying to be smart here but I fail to see the need in buying a diesel truck unless you plan on putting at least 200k on it. I prefer Fords but I belive Dodge is the only manufacturer with a true diesel engine these days. I have a 97 7.3 and love it, also have two old 6.9s. They just keep going and going - don't have enough power to self-destruct.

we just got a new F-350 with the 6.0, got just under 10K on it now after about 3 months. Sure doesn't pull like the ones we had with the 7.3. I do like the truck, but it doesnt pull nearly as nice as the old one did. Just my 2cents

I have one and I love it, A couple of the pulling problems you are speaking of can be fixed quickly, They are caused by tightening emissions laws, each year they are required to drop a little more "exhaust gas" What we always do is use a superchips microtuner and secondly clean the muffler out or just remove it. Our dealer has never had a problem with us doing this although I have heard some stroies, you can look it up or call the feds, there is a law that says they have to fix it and that law has about 100 sub laws. Only seen part of it but, anyway. 3yrs. 45k., must be doing good, if you want a new one get one!

We have a 96 F350 7.3 with 150,000. Just purchased a 02 F450 7.3, with under 40,000. Not licensed yet, but will sell old one & yes, this is MY "car".
Word we are getting is that the 6.0 is not cutting it. One of hubbys customers just had 3rd engine installed - free - on new truck with 6.0.

Well I might wait for the new 6.4 supposed to come out early next year. Twin Turbo they say. Should be awesome.

What's your purpose in wanting a new one? If the old one is working for you just fine, then you would be better off staying with it. 45,000 is not very many miles. your vehicle has many more left in it. Just my $.02.

Just a thought, I have a 2001 dodge 3500 turbodiesel, works well,you gotta love the cummins engine. I wass filling up the other day, the diesel pump had a new sticker on it that read something about it being a low sulfur fuel and was not to be used in the 2007 and later models because it can damage the engines.This was at the local truck srop where I always fill up because it is generally the cheapest place to find diesel. Anyone else seen or heard of this? Are they trying to discourage buying diesels? Where will you find fuel for the later models? :shock: ;-) :cboy:

Agboy":1bx4u8rv said:
Well I might wait for the new 6.4 supposed to come out early next year. Twin Turbo they say. Should be awesome.

Actually it will be a "dual stage" turbo not dual turbo. ;-)

Stay away from those motors. To many bad ones.
For farm duty the Cummins is the best answer right now.
I would not touch ANY new motor from any big three until proven.

jcummins":1c667cbl said:
I had Fords for MANY years, then I discovered DODGE was not dirty 5 letter word.That Cummins pulls with much more ease than any 7.3, hands down.

What about the new International CXT ? Now there's a truck for ya' ! Don't even have to buy it - just win it at Shoney's Restaurant. (That would be Frisch's Restaurant for part of the country)

I also don't see why you would want to trade that one off - it's practically new!

I had a 250 7.3 and went to get a new 6.0 - test drove it and thought I was going to have to get out and help it go by pushing it :lol: Anyway, decided on a 350 7.3 for the same $, much stronger feeling to me. I plan on driving it till the wheels fall off, then put them back on and drive it some more. They cost too much to be trading off too soon.

like has been said if it aint broke dont fix it.sid your right trucks cost to much.gotta drive them till they blowup.then put a new motor in them.i know a guy that that was running f350s.an i asked him why he went to the f450.an he said pulling a 32ft gooseneck cattle trailer would wear the 350 out in 3yrs.he said the 450 wont wear out as fast.all though the 450 just gets 8mi to the gal.

Crowderfarms":3fn9hczp said:
jcummins":3fn9hczp said:
I had Fords for MANY years, then I discovered DODGE was not dirty 5 letter word.That Cummins pulls with much more ease than any 7.3, hands down.

Yeah, when pigs fly. :p

Crowderfarms":3pzjtv9e said:
Bring that 7.3 up here next week and we'll see who eats Crow loaded with 13 5X6 Rolls, on that Gooseneck. :lol:

Actually I wish I could come and if I did I would bring the 6 liter. I have both a 7.3 and a 6 L and I can tell you once the 6 gets spooled up it will smoke the 7.3 in every category. Now at idle up to about 2000 RPMS the 7.3 will pull stumps and never even grunt. I know all about those Cummins. When they pull up beside my 6 liter they tread very gently at take off not wanting to be embarrassed AGAIN. ;-)

Latest posts