TIGER STRIPE CATTLE

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bez I wasn't going to bring up "brindle" again !! I have a solid brindle cow, she is not an F-1, but I like her.

Brangus are doing alright for me here in this part of Texas.

My neighbor runs angus and they are tiny cows. Is it the heat? Generation after generation they seem to get smaller. Of course, if you take a trailer load to market, buyers don't know if they are 4 months or six months.

Grandaddy was in on the imported Brahman from Argentina back in the 60's. He crossed them with Gertrudis. I never remember him ever losing a single cow or pulling a calf. I'm sure he lost one at some point but I don't remember it.

Bez!":2anube9f said:
Crowder

Funny how Tigers - or Brindles - depending on where you come from - turned - yet again into an Angus thread -with frankie in the middle of the fray. I wonder if she does this intentionally - or because she loves the ruckuss?

Bez!

Well Said. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I might have missed something here, but I don't remember it being Frankie that steered this toward Angus and CAB. Where did I miss that part?

Caustic Burno":cf2ufk9o said:
Frankie":cf2ufk9o said:
Frankie":cf2ufk9o said:
cherokeeruby":cf2ufk9o said:
Another mind exercise. Let's take 100 of Frankie's cows and 100 of mine. Throw them out in a national park in a hot humid part of the country. They will have to be kept separate since a Brahman bull will reluctantly breed an Angus cows.

Go back in 5 years and see how many of each breed there is.

Not many except the Brammers now Ruby don't get jealous sweetie but Frankie has the hots for me. She has one of them Jr High crushes, I will keep her fought of as long as I can.

You know when you think you have saw everthing till something like this comes along. Caustic signing his post with huggs and kisses.

You can take those animals and turn them loose. If you can catch them in five years, by all means see what's left. On the other hand, I will be selling mine every year for premiums, since I expect to make money in the cattle business.

Caustic, I doubt anyone has the "hots" for you. Well, maybe... Did you see Brokeback Mountain? Maybe all these guys following you around and hanging on your every word are the people who have the "hots" for you.

Now Frankie you know your sweet on me its ok. Don't worry about the Brokeback Mountain that saddle don't fit my hoss. Come on down and will get that possum out of your butt.
There has to be one up there eating what ever crawled up there and died.
XXX'sOOO's
Caustic.

Caustic, you're getting more and more disgusting. But we'll see how far you can go before you get kicked off this board. When someone stands up to your bullying, you resort to insults and rude comments.

The only butt anyone is getting to see on this board is yours. And it ain't a pretty sight.

No Babe if I remember you brought up Brokeback mountain with sexual conatations first, just trying to keep up with your train of thought.
love and kisses .

You know you think you have saw everthing till something like this comes along. Caustic signing his post with huggs and kisses.

Texan":2q5m2vnt said:
I might have missed something here, but I don't remember it being Frankie that steered this toward Angus and CAB. Where did I miss that part?

I am afraid it was my beloved Caustic who first uttered the word Angus. It was in response to an outright falsehood our dear Frankie posted about Brahman influenced cattle.

Frankie":b4hkqnuv said:
houstoncutter":b4hkqnuv said:
"there is no doubt we've made too many cattle too black too fast, now we are paying the price for it."

Thats not my words but Kendall Hopp, general manager of Hays Feeders, Hays Kansas.......Whoa........... hold the phone , that is a feeder of a pretty large outfit in KANSAS, not done south. The smart fella is referring to the yeild grade problems that they have now. Also as reported in the Angus Beef Bulletin, March issue, page 48, Gary Johnson, former Beef Improvement Federation president and past BIF commercial producerof the year. Stated, and I quote, " It takes four steers that make CAB to make up for one YG4"..............Last time I looked their wasnt enough CAB steers to come even close to picking up the slack. As for me and some of us other commercial producers, we dont shoot for CAB, rather a YG1 and choice.....that animal will make money in any market , anywhere

I don't doubt we've made cattle black too fast. But that's not Angus' fault. That's Simmental, Limousin, Maine breeders' fault. So why are you blaming it on Angus? There aren't very many YG 1, Choice steers around either. And there's plenty of data around that says the cow that produces a YG 1 steer will be less likely to rebreed than the one producing YG 2 or 3. YG 1 steers also tend to get sick more often in the feedlot and gain slower, according to Future Beef when they were trying to get a supply chain established.

You have got to be kidding me, you really think black Maines, Limis and Simms are causing the higher yeild grades........Think you need to check the Marc data on cattle breeds as to their yeild grade abilities. The European cattle mentioned above will not hang a carcass with as much fat as a Angus, but mercy, yeild grades are their strong suit. Kick a Angus all over the pasture when it comes to yeild grades.

cherokeeruby":21gv8j6k said:
Texan":21gv8j6k said:

I am afraid it was my beloved Caustic who first uttered the word Angus. It was in response to an outright falsehood our dear Frankie posted about Brahman influenced cattle.

I do not think it matters who said the "A" word first - comment stands - and yeah I know I broke my promise - outa' here.

Bez!

I'm gonna bet that after all this discussion Caustic will still raise cattle suitable for his area and also Frankie will raise her cattle suitable for her area. And all this waisted argueing didn't change a thing.
I also know i'm not looking for a different breed after all this.

Anyone wan't to take that bet?

Cal

Calman":2tuag3vn said:
And all this waisted argueing didn't change a thing.

My dogs bark when they see a dog wondering down the road. They also bark if they hear another dog barking.

Crowderfarms":xn2iv6f3 said:
When you buy a Product with a 'Brand' label on it, you've bought that product for a reason. You trust it, and know what to expect from it.

That's exactly right. A lot of CAB is sold without the CAB label. Restaurants that don't advertise CAB often use it because they know they'll get quality, but don't want to pay the extra charge for displaying the logo.

My point, on the case of CAB products is that the consumer, in his mind see the picture of the old Aberdeen Angus. Black as a Coal train.When in fact, this consumer cuts that bite of steak thinking the entire time this is Black Angus beef! When in fact it truly is not what he/she thinks they have purchased.

You're ignoring the question. Are buyers of Nolan Ryan's beef also being cheated, or are you simply holding Angus to a higher standard?

Yes, the American Angus Association has done a splendid, remarkable job of promoting both the Cattle and the end product, but I see it as the Consumer being duped into buying a falsely represented product. I dont care what the USDA says.You pay extra money for a product that is worth no more than any other Beef out there. It's a marketing ploy.Oh, one more thing, a lawsuit can be filed. It's a wonder it has not happened yet.Guess the right folks haven't put it under the microscope yet.

Yes, a lawsuit can be filed; but they can't win because the product conforms to the USDA-approved standards. How do you know a suit hasn't been filed and lost? CAB is "worth" whatever consumers are willing to pay for it, just like the calves you run through the sale barn. The fact that year after year, consumers are willing to pay more for the product tells me that consumers like what they're getting for their money.

cherokeeruby":1yrilqw8 said:
Texan":1yrilqw8 said:

And exactly what falsehood was that? Yes, Caustic started this, not me. If Caustic, or you, think I'm misrepreseting the Brahman breed, get it out here and we'll talk about it. But, no, Caustic doesn't have the guts to challenge my post Like the bully he is, he insults me and my family.

Bez!":380vdtfr said:
cherokeeruby":380vdtfr said:
Texan":380vdtfr said:

I do not think it matters who said the "A" word first - comment stands - and yeah I know I broke my promise - outa' here.

Bez!

Why doesn't it matter? Caustic is well known on this board for insulting people. I simply refuse to ignore it when he insults me, especially when he's wrong. Do you seriously think I should just ignore it?

Caustic Burno":3muu5epz said:
Frankie":3muu5epz said:
Frankie":3muu5epz said:
cherokeeruby":3muu5epz said:
Another mind exercise. Let's take 100 of Frankie's cows and 100 of mine. Throw them out in a national park in a hot humid part of the country. They will have to be kept separate since a Brahman bull will reluctantly breed an Angus cows.

Go back in 5 years and see how many of each breed there is.

Not many except the Brammers now Ruby don't get jealous sweetie but Frankie has the hots for me. She has one of them Jr High crushes, I will keep her fought of as long as I can.

You can take those animals and turn them loose. If you can catch them in five years, by all means see what's left. On the other hand, I will be selling mine every year for premiums, since I expect to make money in the cattle business.

Caustic, I doubt anyone has the "hots" for you. Well, maybe... Did you see Brokeback Mountain? Maybe all these guys following you around and hanging on your every word are the people who have the "hots" for you.

Now Frankie you know your sweet on me its ok. Don't worry about the Brokeback Mountain that saddle don't fit my hoss. Come on down and will get that possum out of your butt.
There has to be one up there eating what ever crawled up there and died.
XXX'sOOO's
Caustic.

Caustic, you're getting more and more disgusting. But we'll see how far you can go before you get kicked off this board. When someone stands up to your bullying, you resort to insults and rude comments.

The only butt anyone is getting to see on this board is yours. And it ain't a pretty sight.

No Babe if I remember you brought up Brokeback mountain with sexual conatations first, just trying to keep up with your train of thought.
love and kisses .

You're the one who started this, Caustic, not me.

Hmm I am not the one fighting a dozen people on a thread.

Sorry I forgot as Bez says you have to have the last word go ahead. I'm finished.

MikeC":21pvtwxr said:
YG 1 steers also tend to get sick more often in the feedlot and gain slower, according to Future Beef when they were trying to get a supply chain established.

This has to be an absolute lie.

I have a close personal friend who was the southeast buyer for Future Beef. We stayed up many nights at my house discussing FBO and the cattle they were procuring. No mention of this ever came about and he told me quite a few inside info situations.

I have another close contact with a feedyard in Kansas that loves the high yielding cattle for the exact opposite reasons you stated.
He was also a feeder for FBO and is a CAB feeder.

I also have a neighbor who was the President of FBO and have spent time discussing their procurement requirements with him also.

I don't mean to be a name dropper but I know that Future Beef Operations did not find this to be a fact. Might have been the personal opinion of one of your buyers who was an Angus fan.
Wouldn't put it past your kind to spread misinformation.

This is the wildest tale you have told yet. Are you joking? The only reason I can think of for you to justify your statement is the backfat being an insulator against extremely cold weather. And that's only a couple of months per year. But that wouldn't hold water because they are being fed free choice, twice to three times per day, a high energy feed that would deliver plenty of body heat plus give excellent growth.

I just went through the vet bills for the "Pasture to Rail" Feedyard program and all the data we received for 2004 on more than 500 calves. The data says you are wrong again.

Your condescending, arrogant tone is despicable. You sound like a "CERTIFIED ANGUS B!&CH".

You do know that it takes almost twice as much energy to put on a pound of fat than it does a pound of lean don't you?

Link below:

"Texas A&M's John McNeill, coordinator of the Ranch to Rail program, created a database that looked at the relationship between yield grade, steer performance and carcass characteristics. The results reveal that reproductivity is not the only concern when it comes to reduced fat. "Let's talk about the productivity of steers: 1s and 2s give up performance and quality," Dr. McNeill says. "As we increase muscularity and reduce fat, we reduce carcass quality-not only percent Choice, but also increasing outliers in both Standards and dark cutters, which have discounts just as bad as 4s and 5s."

The results regarding performance were also surprising. "We've always thought that as animals get fatter, performance eventually plateaus and starts to decline," Dr. McNeill says. "But our database shows that production keeps going up in terms of average daily gain, and generally those [with higher ADG] are more efficient too. And these really lean cattle are thought to have high rates of gain, but this data doesn't say that. We've always said that after a certain number of days on feed, it doesn't increase marbling. It's probably true. But these data show more Choice comes with more fat."

The leaner yield grades in their data had more health problems and medicine costs too. In case illness was a confounding factor, Dr. McNeill looked at the data with all sick animals removed; the results didn't change.

Further research will no doubt follow to explore remaining questions. "One argument
is that the steers that ended up 4s might have had the same degree of Choice if we'd stopped them at Yield Grade 3," Dr. McNeill says. "I can't refute that."

But other research also has shown problems with excessive leanness. "If we were to target 1s and 2s, the scientific literature indicates that we would run into later puberty, reduced fertility, larger mature size and greater calving difficulty," says Michigan State University Animal Scientist Harlan Ritchie. "Also, as we increase lean body mass, we increase maintenance requirements. They also tend to have reduced longevity." These are genetic correlations that, while not perfect, do point in those directions. "I wish we didn't have any 1s," Dr. Ritchie says.

Bill Mies, assistant vice president of supply for Future Beef Operations LLC, agrees. "I don't want people to see Yield Grade 1 as an acceptable target," he says. "They are objectionable to me. Often they have serious health problems in the feedyard; they have excessive ribeyes and lots of Standards. As you listen to people talk, they say 'I had 20 percent 1s and 2s.' It makes a terrible difference [which they are]. Cows that will give birth to a potential Yield Grade 1 steer probably won't live out the winter. Heavily muscled bulls are a problem too."

I don't expect you to have the guts to apologize, Mike. But the facts are the facts.

http://www.drovers.com/news_editorial.a ... ent_id=869

Caustic Burno":1ws2540u said:

Sorry I forgot as Bez says you have to have the last word go ahead. I'm finished.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Frankie":35iuomgw said:
Crowderfarms":35iuomgw said:
When you buy a Product with a 'Brand' label on it, you've bought that product for a reason. You trust it, and know what to expect from it.

That's exactly right. A lot of CAB is sold without the CAB label. Restaurants that don't advertise CAB often use it because they know they'll get quality, but don't want to pay the extra charge for displaying the logo.

My point, on the case of CAB products is that the consumer, in his mind see the picture of the old Aberdeen Angus. Black as a Coal train.When in fact, this consumer cuts that bite of steak thinking the entire time this is Black Angus beef! When in fact it truly is not what he/she thinks they have purchased.

You're ignoring the question. Are buyers of Nolan Ryan's beef also being cheated, or are you simply holding Angus to a higher standard?

Yes, the American Angus Association has done a splendid, remarkable job of promoting both the Cattle and the end product, but I see it as the Consumer being duped into buying a falsely represented product. I dont care what the USDA says.You pay extra money for a product that is worth no more than any other Beef out there. It's a marketing ploy.Oh, one more thing, a lawsuit can be filed. It's a wonder it has not happened yet.Guess the right folks haven't put it under the microscope yet.

Yes, a lawsuit can be filed; but they can't win because the product conforms to the USDA-approved standards. How do you know a suit hasn't been filed and lost? CAB is "worth" whatever consumers are willing to pay for it, just like the calves you run through the sale barn. The fact that year after year, consumers are willing to pay more for the product tells me that consumers like what they're getting for their money.
So the USDA can be listed as a Defendant. I'm done with this post too. Frankie if you keep talking to yourself I hope you dont answer back. Might be a sign of Mental Illness.

Caustic Burno":1wbt7z4j said:

That's right. Just like in the schoolyard, when the resident bully starts picking on someone, his hanger on friends show up to encourage him. I didn't mention your name until you insulted me. When I stood up for myself, you get ugly and rude. I think I did a pretty good job fighting you and your pals. On the other hand, they apparently don't think you can handle a discussion without their support.

Sorry? :roll: You had the first word when you insulted me. Why shouldn't I have the last word?

my problem was their comment about MILK don't care who dont like um but bash for their weak points. do you think any cattleman around the gulf would mess with them if they didnt milk well. ill bet the best angus cow milking ability would be compromised most areas that they raise tigers.

Crowderfarms":tghisetz said:
Frankie":tghisetz said:
Crowderfarms":tghisetz said:

So the USDA can be listed as a Defendant. I'm done with this post too. Frankie if you keep talking to yourself I hope you dont answer back. Might be a sign of Mental Illness.

You hope that I didn't notice that you ignore the fact Nolan Ryan branded beef isn't all owned by Nolan Ryan? I see now that Caustic says he's dropping out of the fight, his pals are, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts