tifton 44 hay field

Help Support CattleToday:

tiger hunter

Reaction score
would like to spray hay field this fall to hold back ryegrass from coming up in it this spring.does anyone else do this? if you do what is the best stuff to use.

i don't have either, but is it annual or perennial ryegrass, probably both.
when the bermuda goes dormant and the ryegrass starts growing spray with Glyphosate(roundup)
then in late winter spray a pre emergent

First cutting rye grass makes excellent hay. Remember a hay field is like a woman you have to give it lot's of attention or it will up and leave you. I plant my hay field in rye grass every fall and graze it in the winter.

It returns N to the soil if you can get them to pee and crap in a straight line. I drag it every spring. The main question why have land sitting dormant that you have invested a fortune in fertilize. I have baled my pastures. A hayfield here is a pasture set aside.

TennesseeTuxedo":3ebcfvf1 said:
Makes sense to me CB. I'll be up at the farm next weekend and I plan to ask my mother-in-law if they ever graze the hay field in the off season.

Even if you don't plant it, there is stockpiled forage. Same thing as hay (low quality). The major cost of a cow is carrying her through the winter. It takes 30 pounds to fill up a cow I can satisfy her nutritional needs with 3 lb's of grain a day I still need another 27 pounds.

tiger hunter":qnznnzjz said:
would like to spray hay field this fall to hold back ryegrass from coming up in it this spring.does anyone else do this? if you do what is the best stuff to use.

Where are you located that you can't use rye grass? I would think that your bermuda grass would be going dormant here pretty soon unless you get year around growth. Here in Texas, it usually dies back when the heat comes in during late Spring. Until then, its a good grazer!!

Latest posts