Thumbs Up

Help Support CattleToday:

warpaint

Reaction score
To my darlin wife, Waga.

Since I work outta state all the time, it falls to her to do the everyday runnin of the place at home.

Yesterday, we had two steers on the kill list at the local slaughterhouse. Now, you have to understand that these weren't just run of the mill steers that never got touched by human hands. They were both halter broke, (one a little better broke than the other), and both named. But with the drought and a big crop of calves this year somethin had to go. Prices being what they are at the salebarn meant that if I went that way I was gonna give em away.

Anyway I digress.

Waga and her stepdad took em to the place. When it came time to unload, they didn't want to get off the trailer. Accordin to her it was like they knew what was comin.
But she came thru and did the deed anyway. :clap:

Sure is gonna taste good eatin that fresh beef. ;-)

Better woman than me, I'm afraid. You've got a keeper there, Warpaint, bless her heart...

Alice

The wife asked me a while back if I felt bad when Rib Eye was dropped off at the processors. My reply was, "No. I just looked him in the eye and said, 'next time I see you you will be on my plate'..." That put me in the dog house for a long time.

I never feel good about losing animals or even killing wild game. It is just something for me to accept - and I do.

I guess I just don't give it a whole lot of thought. Once I've made up my mind that they are headed for the freezer, it don't bother me at all.

I imagine that comes from my upbringing, where we did most of our own killing and butchering.

And, Thank ya'll I know she's special, just don't tell her i said so. :p

Mighty fine woman ya got there Warpaint.
I guess I am in a state of mine where I see cows as beef,hogs as pork chickens as meat and eggs and so on. Being raised on a farm where we butchered our own or hunted wild game for the table.
Seems like the older I get the more like my dad i get.
His rule was if you feed it it better be of some benifit on the place.

Cal

I kinda felt bad when I dropped off July, especially since he had to stay in a pen with two pigs. (County fair time.) Then I remembered the nice scratches he made on my truck with his scurs and I didn't feel so bad. He's tasty.

Lammie":l40kwh44 said:
I kinda felt bad when I dropped off July, especially since he had to stay in a pen with two pigs. (County fair time.) Then I remembered the nice scratches he made on my truck with his scurs and I didn't feel so bad. He's tasty.

I bet Hubby steers clear of your truck.

I think it was Ben Franklin who said, "Beware of the hobby that eats."
I always think of that when it comes time to load cattle and my heart is sore. Always had a hard time with our bottle babies.

angie":31sh3zp1 said:
I think it was Ben Franklin who said, "Beware of the hobby that eats."
I always think of that when it comes time to load cattle and my heart is sore. Always had a hard time with our bottle babies.

:D great quote :D
I always fight back the tears at slaughter time, wish we could keep them all.

You know these guys give us a hard time for getting weepy over supper, but there are plenty of times that a womans patience and sense of compassion can come in handy in this business (like trying to get a calf thats "dumbed up" to take a bottle).

angie":24nuo84d said:
You know these guys give us a hard time for getting weepy over supper, but there are plenty of times that a womans patience and sense of compassion can come in handy in this business (like trying to get a calf thats "dumbed up" to take a bottle).

Ya I feel you sis.
Like trying to get the men folk thats "dumbed up" to put the toilet seat down. :mad:
I feel your pain!!!!!!!! :(

angie":qe89quhd said:

Amen, sister!!!!!!!!!!!

Alice

we have a few that didnt want to unload, it was like he knew where he was at....i told my husband, they could smell the death, the time i feel the worst for them is the day before and while im loading em in the trailer, but ive usually got my mind ready by the time we get to the processers, i always say a little prayer for them, that im grateful for them feeding us.

Latest posts