Thousands of old tires

Help Support CattleToday:

DA Ranch

Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently bought land and noticed that the land adjacent to mine has thousands of old tires piled up. The land has a house on it and it is occupied so it is not commercial property. My brother-in-law said that they could get heavy fines if it was discovered by the right people. We will have cattle on the land eventually once the fences are up to par. My question is can this affect the cattle's health in anyway such as toxic fumes if they ever were to catch on fire?

Thanks,
DL

I don't know about fumes, but they will produce millions of mosquitoes if water stands in them.

Someone else had trouble on here with old tires. Might do a search and see if it comes up. Maybe whoever it was will chime in soon.

It was Brown Mule. She had to clear a ton of old tires off that land that she's having so much trouble with.

DA Ranch":32fzmv36 said:
My question is can this affect the cattle's health in anyway such as toxic fumes if they ever were to catch on fire?

Thanks,
DL

Absolutely - burning tires emit many, many toxic fumes. It is illegal to burn tires in Wyoming - I would imagine the same is true for many other states, as well.

Jogeephus":1ek8wrtf said:
Here the fine is $2000 per tire. :shock: Most people understand not to burn em anymore.

:shock: I don't know what the fine is here, but I'm thinking it's probably comparable. We've got a few who haven't figured that out yet, as evidenced by the thick, black, easily identified smoke seen from time to time in the area.

DA Ranch":3ciuo77i said:
Hi all,
I recently bought land and noticed that the land adjacent to mine has thousands of old tires piled up. The land has a house on it and it is occupied so it is not commercial property. My brother-in-law said that they could get heavy fines if it was discovered by the right people. We will have cattle on the land eventually once the fences are up to par. My question is can this affect the cattle's health in anyway such as toxic fumes if they ever were to catch on fire?

If the entire lot ever catches on fire, you will likely be required to evacuate until the fire is put out (could be a couple of weeks). Tire fires produce a large amount of heavy smoke and tend to be extremely difficult to put out.

burn em at night when its raining. diesel will get em goin and tell em lightning must ve lit it off. hate to say it but that s the only way w/o payin a fortune to get rid of em. even a recycler wont haul em off for free...or bury em

I keep about a dozen and use them to walk the Caterpillar across the blacktop etc. Generally I keep them out of the weather but have cut holes in them nevertheless so that water is not trapped in them.

This year the river flooded the bottom land. In the past, every time the river flooded I was loaded with old tires in the trash that gets caught on the property. This year I inherited all the old oil cans, coke bottles, tree limbs, boat dock segments - you name it. But no tires. This has to be a first. Hence, the old tire regulation laws may actually be working.

Angus/Brangus":bhq75a4a said:
DA, you might want to check any county or city laws/ordinances about the storage of used tires and complain accordingly. I suspect that there will not be much you can do. Mosquitos? They're everywhere when it rains. No recourse there. There are no fume issues that I know of. You still have an eyesore but maybe you can grow something on the fenceline that will screen it all out.

I never thought about mesquitos, good point. I don't believe they are burning the tires but just using the land as a dump. This is the issue I am having. Is it neighborly to turn someone in for this? My in-laws say let 'em be and do like you said put up a screen. Opinions please?

burnin em will also leave hell of a mess. cords..the wire beads...whatever else is in the pile under the itres..skeletons of past...whatevers???

Texas Illegal Dumping Resource Center http://tidrc.org

http://tidrc.org/MainSite/Common%20Char ... umping.pdf

This is a one page pdf outlining the basics of illegal dumping. Especially pay attention to the upper right hand corner which outlines the rules for dumping on personal property.

Looks to me like they're gonna have to clean it up or face a pretty stiff penalty.

Good luck!!

There was a great tire fire in Frederick County, Va., back around 1980. Over 5 million tires burned, took it over a year to go out. The EPA was on that property for over 20 years.

It's not illegal to "dump" them on your own property... like mentioned, it would be a problem if someone tried to burn them.

Check with your county.. that's the only way you'll be able to find out if there are any rules or regulations regarding them.

TheBullLady":kavwqoc4 said:
It's not illegal to "dump" them on your own property... like mentioned, it would be a problem if someone tried to burn them.

Check with your county.. that's the only way you'll be able to find out if there are any rules or regulations regarding them.

Go to the link that I posted earlier. It is legal only if it is generated by personal use -- I don't think that one guy has generated 1000s of tires just by personal vehicle and farm use.

Latest posts