Thoughts on breeding Angus heifer?

Help Support CattleToday:

allisonr

Reaction score
She's a Connealy High Rank x Wayview Blackie (Connealy Shrek daughter). We're looking to make replacement heifers and would like to keep her purebred this time around. Also has to be from Coba/Select Sires. We have a few ideas, just wanted everyone's opinions! Thanks :)

Being a High Rank daughter makes her a great-great granddaughter of Grid Maker.
Sandpoint Butkus is a Grid Maker grandson (Final Answer x Grid Maker)
Final Answer's claim to fame is being a Cow Maker.
Butkus over .80 acc on -1.3 bw and sc 1.41 in addition to everything else would help strengthen Shrek's weak sc .17

I would have Butkus at the top of my list for you.
http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.ph ... ge?bid=313

Edited to add to Wildcat's mention of Gar Sunrise
that Select has female sexed semen in 1/4 cc straws by Sunrise for $50 if you want to go the sexed semen route.
In my opinion sexed semen is damaged semen and would only use it for 1st service by Select A.I. tech so that you
would not tie up extra money in your semen inventory (Plus you can blame him if she repeats and not kick yourself :) )

Butch- Thanks for the input!

freighttrain- As long as it's from Coba/SS, anything in mind?

If you are hoping for daughters then the Select Sires bull that is getting a lot of positive reviews is Summit.
His only downside is his $B (beef) number. TC Thunder is another bull that would not be a bull that is hot at sales but cattle breeders like him. The bulls that are better for sales...Deer Valley All In is a Ten X son that you can use on a heifer. Connealy Capitalist is a very popular Sav Final Answer son but may not be a heifer bull (CED +10). I may use Deer Valley Patriot...he's a son of Capitalist and is out of the same cow family as Deer Valley All In and Var Discovery. Patriot is more likely to be a heifer bull than his father. I think SS has great choices for Angus. I didn't mention Plattemere Weigh Up because he's not a heifer bull but he is really popular.

I forgot Connealy Comrade was Select Sires...He set the record for sales...and is proven calving ease. He has some really nice looking heifers in the SS catalog and had some top sellers lately (look at sale reports for March on www.angus.org).

We calved our first summit daughters this spring. They are very nice. Good mothers that have level udders with well shaped teats. I don't know how they will do in the Deep South but they fit our environment very well. He might be the best kept secret in the business.