thoughts on Amish

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
I heard today that there was another fatality with a suv and a Amish buggy. The buggy was being driven by a 10 year old boy with his 2 younger sisters inside. The 10 year old was killed-I read the article and I must say I am kind of shocked that a 10 year old would be allowed to drive a buggy on a busy highway-I know the Amish have their own lifestyles and rules and such, but doesn't it make sense if they are driving on public roads that they should have to abide by the age requirements like we do? 10 years old seems way too young to be driving anything-any thoughts?

I'm fer 'em.

But I think you might be right on that age thing. Was the 10 YO at fault?

10 year old Amish boy is probably light years ahead of normal 16 year olds in the common sense and responsibility department.

M-5":1cu38z3d said:
I drove tractors on highway when I was 10yrs old
Me too.

I did knock off a mail box once. It was the car coming at me, or the mail box. The mail box lost.

LRTX1":29oufyaa said:
10 year old Amish boy is probably light years ahead of normal 16 year olds in the common sense and responsibility department.
Exactly my thoughts

10 year old is tragic. Such a short life. If he was 20, 30, or 40, he'd be just as dead. I doubt he was guilty of breaking the speed limit on that road.

Dun expressed it well. Oops! That was LRTX

I don't want to see anything happen that would interfere with the lifestyle they are trying to live. I do have many living in my area, so I've got quit a bit of first hand knowledge. I see them take some big chances with both their, and their families safety. Especially on some of the particular roads they travel.

Fifty years ago wouldnt have seemed so strange. We have babied our kids to the point they cant do nothing with iut us standing right there over them

a 10 year old can ride a bike on the road, so why not a horse and buggy? and at 1 or 2 horsepower he probably wasn't going fast.. besides, the horse usually knows what he's doing as well.

Dollars to donuts the SUV is at fault.

I get called Amish routinely (I'm often dressed in black and have a beard), and I certainly don't take that as an insult, We may not have the toys we have today if we all lived like they did, but in many ways we'd be better off too. When I was in Wooster Ohio I saw a lot of them and never had any trouble.

Not much difference than kids riding a bike or a those Yankee kids out on 4-wheelers. I live deep in the heart of Amish country (more horse and buggies go down my road than cars) and like anything else driving down the road you have to be cautious when passing. Most of the time they are off to the side of the road but the idiot Yanks that are too impatient to wait to pass are the real problem. More than once I've had a buggy (adult driven) make a left hand turn or pull out in front of me when I didn't expect them to. But, I've never had a problem with the little Amish kids that have a pony with cart going down the road. Most are very cautions compared to the older teenager Amish.

The family black lab wandered off one day and we couldn't find it. Finally I put an ad out in the local Free Press. I got a call from an Amish girl and told me they had her but wanted to keep her. I explained there were little kids that the dog belonged to they missed her so she gave me her address which was through the woods on the next road over. When I get there, the kids have the pony collar on my dog and she's hitched to their little wagon pulling them around the yard.

You'd also be impressed with those little Amish kids ability to ride in and steer a little red wagon down a mile long hill.

Nesikep":1q89utwx said:
a 10 year old can ride a bike on the road, so why not a horse and buggy? and at 1 or 2 horsepower he probably wasn't going fast.. besides, the horse usually knows what he's doing as well.

Dollars to donuts the SUV is at fault.

I get called Amish routinely (I'm often dressed in black and have a beard), and I certainly don't take that as an insult, We may not have the toys we have today if we all lived like they did, but in many ways we'd be better off too. When I was in Wooster Ohio I saw a lot of them and never had any trouble.

Yes it was the SUV's fault, i question does a 10 year old know the road rules enough to be responsible to drive with 2 younger siblings, it just seems like the parents are really taking too much of a risk-its just hard to imagine that young of a child having that much responsibility-knowing what to do if something goes wrong on the road-A terrible tragedy is what it is

I live in a fairly large, fairly populated county. It is divided north and south, and east and west by two of the busiest roads that you will ever travel. Amish are very frequent travelers on both of those roads. I see them attempting things that I would never dream of doing, or more importantly allow my children to do. Yes, children on bicycles can pedal up and down either of these roads. I would not let my children ride a bicycle on them. I also wouldn't let them drive a tractor, or a horse and buggy on them.

It's a fine line you cross, when you tell them they can't travel the way they want to. It's obviously a line that our state legislatures are not willing to cross. Even if the decision was mine alone to make, I'd probably let them go ahead, and do whatever they want to. I just literally can't belive some of the chances I've see them take.

I actually feel bad posting what I am about to type. I have a 10 year old son. He's a pretty good boy. I guess most people feel that way about their children. He's pretty smart, and has a decent amount of common sense. He can drive anything on my place, and rides a horse almost everyday. I would never dream of allowing him on the open road. He doesn't know the rules of driving. He doesn't know what other people are capable of, or how to react if they do endanger his life. The risk is just to great to turn him loose like that.

I rolled a tractor on a public road, when I was 9. It was a little IHC super A. I was in 4th gear going up a steep hill. The tractor started cutting out. I tried to change to a lower gear, and couldn't. When the tractor came to a stop, the breaks wouldn't hold it. Looking back on it, the whole thing was a combination of the tractor being a piece of junk, and my fathers poor judgement. Either way you look at it, my fault, his failt, or the tractors fault. It was a wild ride that I won't forget soon. I should have never been out there in the first place.

You have to admire them and their way of life. I doubt I'd survive in it. And I'm sure their children are mature beyond their years even at age 10 but seems awfully young to be driving a buggy on a highway. Sort of one of those things that goes well for a long time but sooner or later it's going to go bad and it only has to go bad once to destroy a life....who's at fault changes nothing.

Bigfoot":ccr5hg28 said:
I actually feel bad posting what I am about to type. I have a 10 year old son. He's a pretty good boy. I guess most people feel that way about their children. He's pretty smart, and has a decent amount of common sense. He can drive anything on my place, and rides a horse almost everyday. I would never dream of allowing him on the open road. He doesn't know the rules of driving. He doesn't know what other people are capable of, or how to react if they do endanger his life. The risk is just to great to turn him loose like that.

Don't feel bad. You make a perfect point. If non-Amish wouldn't put their family in that kind of danger, why would an Amish person do it? Wouldn't we think they would think the same about their families safety? Is it possible that they have blinders on and don't want to adhere to anything. More or less, they may feel like they don't want to give in and want to prove a point kind of thing?

I've watched videos of Amish pulling square balers by horses. That to me seems odd, because why not use a tractor? I know they are great people, but just seems odd. Or what about the fact that they can use electric tools, just as long as the tools belong to someone else. On the other hand, isn't Amish somewhat independently controlled? Meaning one Amish community may allow certain things, when another Amish community may not? All depends on what the sect approves.

If they(The Amish children) were not at fault why are so many saying if they were not there it would not have happened. Evidently the SUV driver must have had some knowledge of driving regulations and was more than 10 years old, sure did not change the outcome!

So is sixteen old enough? Plenty of teenagers die in tragic accidents all the time. That age is acceptable in our culture. Who are we to judge their culture.

LRTX1":h5yah2bt said:
So is sixteen old enough? Plenty of teenagers die in tragic accidents all the time. That age is acceptable in our culture. Who are we to judge their culture.

My culture has driving cars limit at 18, tractors and horses lower age.

M-5":1hxbiiyj said:
I drove tractors on highway when I was 10yrs old
And younger.But it would depend on the amount of traffic on the road as to whether the boy should have been
driving.It may have not been anything he did or didn't do.
Wouldn't hurt myeelings one bit if some of them bought farms in my ares when they are for sale.

Latest posts