Those pesky "noise complaints"...

Help Support CattleToday:

icandoit

Reaction score
Lest we forget: The Lessons of "Noise Complaints"!

Luke AFB is west of Phoenix and is rapidly being
surrounded by civilization that complains about the
noise from the base and its planes, forgetting that it
was there long before they were.

Apparently, an individual who lives somewhere near
Luke AFB wrote the local paper complaining about a
group of F-16s that disturbed his/her day at the mall.
When that individual read the response from a Luke AFB
officer, it must have stung quite a bit.

The complaint:

"Question of the day for Luke Air Force Base: Whom do
we thank for the morning air show? Last Wednesday, at
precisely 9:11 a.m., a tight formation of four F-16
jets made a low pass over Arrowhead Mall, continuing
west over Bell Road at approximately 500 feet.
Imagine our good fortune! Do the Tom Cruise-wannabes
feel we need this wake-up call, or were they trying to
impress the cashiers at Mervyns early bird special?
Any response would be appreciated."

The response:

Regarding "A wake-up call from Luke's jets"
(Letters,Thursday): On June 15, at precisely 9:12
a.m., a perfectly timed four-ship flyby of F-16s from
the 63rd Fighter Squadron at Luke Air Force Base flew
over the grave of Capt. Jeremy Fresques.

Capt. Fresques was an Air Force officer who was
previously stationed at Luke Air Force Base and was
killed in Iraq on May 30, Memorial Day. At 9 a.m. on
June 15, his family and friends gathered at Sunland
Memorial Park in Sun City to mourn the loss of a
husband, son and friend.

Based on the letter writer's recount of the flyby, and
because of the jet noise, I'm sure you didn't hear the
21-gun salute, the playing of taps, or my words to the
widow and parents of Capt. Fresques as I gave them
their son's flag on behalf of the President of the
United States and all those veterans and servicemen
and women who understand the sacrifices they have
endured. A four-ship flyby is a display of respect the
Air Force pays to those who give their lives in
defense of freedom. We are professional aviators and
take our jobs seriously, and on June 15 what the
letter writer witnessed was four officers lining up to
pay their ultimate respects.

The letter writer asks, "Whom do we thank for the
morning air show?" The 56th Fighter Wing will call for
you, and forward your thanks to the widow and parents
of Capt. Fresques, and thank them for you, for it was
in their honor that my pilots flew the most honorable
formation of their lives.

Lt. Col. Scott Pleus

CO 63rd Fighter Squadron

Luke AFB

When I lived in Arizona I lived very close to Arrowhead Mall. I enjoyed hearing those jets doing the training exercises and low flyovers. I always told people that complained that the noise from those jets was THE SOUND OF FREEDOM. :nod:

Well I know first hand what the sound of freedom sounds like. I also know their is no reason the trainers from Altus Air force base, OK, need to fly almost nap of the earth over my pasture sometimes. I live about 200 miles from there. They also started shooting larger ordinance at the Fort Sill, OK, artillery ranges that I can hear at my place and I live about 70 miles from their. I know people who live closer and are starting to get cracks in their walls. Of course I havent written any letters to the editor, but there is a limit to what is unavoidable and what is not. They dont have to fly so low and they could shoot dummy rounds.

3MR":1ve1cg4b said:
Well I know first hand what the sound of freedom sounds like. I also know their is no reason the trainers from Altus Air force base, OK, need to fly almost nap of the earth over my pasture sometimes. I live about 200 miles from there. They also started shooting larger ordinance at the Fort Sill, OK, artillery ranges that I can hear at my place and I live about 70 miles from their. I know people who live closer and are starting to get cracks in their walls. Of course I havent written any letters to the editor, but there is a limit to what is unavoidable and what is not. They dont have to fly so low and they could shoot dummy rounds.
Sorry I replied to this thread have to listen to whiners like you.

3MR":2ft6dd3a said:

3MR when the 32 80mm mortars came in 3 days ago in less than 2 min. from Sadar City here in Baghdad. They dam sure weren't dummy rounds. Killed 1 US contractor & not sure how many were wounded. Closest 1 to me was about 125 ft. I don't give a hoot what they practice with as long as they are good at what their shooting. I'm glad to see an F-16 at any altitude & the closer to the groung the happier I am!!! Let them alone & let them do there job!!! Just MHO!!!

Reminds me of the complaints that started about the jets in Great Falls, Montana that were flying out of MANG (Montana Air National Guard). It was all coming from a new subdivision nearby. Needless to say alot of supporters stepped up and in polite terms to the compainers to move or shut up.

Just for a laugh it reminded me of a family story.
My husbands grandfather was farming outside of Conrad,MT and it was during WWII. He was on a hill heading up to the top and was just about to crest it when here came a B-17 hedge hopping over the hill. Needless to say he dove off of the tractor. He never complained about the plane or about the noise. He loved his freedom.

JDI":393mf9qu said:
3MR":393mf9qu said:

3MR when the 32 80mm mortars came in 3 days ago in less than 2 min. from Sadar City here in Baghdad. They dam sure weren't dummy rounds. Killed 1 US contractor & not sure how many were wounded. Closest 1 to me was about 125 ft. I don't give a hoot what they practice with as long as they are good at what their shooting. I'm glad to see an F-16 at any altitude & the closer to the groung the happier I am!!! Let them alone & let them do there job!!! Just MHO!!!

Dear JDI

I have done two tours in Iraq. The longest being 16 months. I have over 20 years active duty in the U.S. Army and havent retired yet. As I said, I know first hand what the sound of freedom is. I also know what Freedoms sacrifice is.

In a war zone they can fly as low as the want. Over my pasture I would like them to stay above the tree tops.

Maybe you dont give a hoot what they practice with, but I sort of was hoping for a break between tours.

PS: My complaint has nothing to do with the type of complaint the alledged letter writer was making.

1. The missing man formation is easily reconizable.
2. I wouldnt write a letter to the editor!

PPS: Just so you know. The person I know who is starting ot get a crack in his wall is also an Iraq veteran. He has a purple heart and bronze star with V device. I guess he is a whiner though because he was medically retired after he caught a round to close to his heart to remove. He also suffers from PTSD although he denys it. I think he earned a little piece and quite dont you.

Mahoney - Being you dont know me or anything about me; Im just going to ignore your comment and pretend you didnt make it.

http://cattletoday.com/photos/data/500/Steve.jpg

http://cattletoday.com/photos/data/500/100_031711.jpg

Notice my new tag comment. Those that accept any price are just as ignorant as those unwilling to pay the price.

Steve! You look like the guy on NCIS...Dinozzo (sp?) Well, sort of, anyway... 8)

Oh, I like your new signature! :)

Alice

Alice":1mdsdlwd said:
Steve! You look like the guy on NCIS...Dinozzo (sp?) Well, sort of, anyway... 8)

Oh, I like your new signature! :)

Alice
haha, thats funny. I cant wait to tell them that at work tomorrow. Of course they will probably throw things at me.

I lived in San Antonio for almost 6 years. For the first year and a half I lived in between Lackland AFB and Kelly AFB. I loved the planes. People in my neighborhood used to complain all the time and in some cases, they had every right. Some of them failed to realize that the homes we were renting used to be military housing. For me though, it was a lot of fun. I grew up wanting to be a pilot and soldier. I used to go up to the roof and watch them practice touch n go's.

More than the jets, my crazy neighbors music drove me nuts. I'd take the jets over his dumb music any day of the week.

3MR":31fbcc7t said:
JDI":31fbcc7t said:
3MR":31fbcc7t said:

Dear JDI

I have done two tours in Iraq. The longest being 16 months. I have over 20 years active duty in the U.S. Army and havent retired yet. As I said, I know first hand what the sound of freedom is. I also know what Freedoms sacrifice is.

In a war zone they can fly as low as the want. Over my pasture I would like them to stay above the tree tops.

Maybe you dont give a hoot what they practice with, but I sort of was hoping for a break between tours.

PS: My complaint has nothing to do with the type of complaint the alledged letter writer was making.

1. The missing man formation is easily reconizable.
2. I wouldnt write a letter to the editor!

PPS: Just so you know. The person I know who is starting ot get a crack in his wall is also an Iraq veteran. He has a purple heart and bronze star with V device. I guess he is a whiner though because he was medically retired after he caught a round to close to his heart to remove. He also suffers from PTSD although he denys it. I think he earned a little piece and quite dont you.

Mahoney - Being you dont know me or anything about me; Im just going to ignore your comment and pretend you didnt make it.

http://cattletoday.com/photos/data/500/Steve.jpg

http://cattletoday.com/photos/data/500/100_031711.jpg

Notice my new tag comment. Those that accept any price are just as ignorant as those unwilling to pay the price.

3MR
I knew you had been to Iraq & I was not pointing anything at you personally..just responding to the topic & was using yours to let people who are whinners that they are just doing there job of training to protect them!!! As far as your friend I can relate to his problems & his sacrifices he has made. If he wants piece & quite he should understand near a military he will probably not get it though. His PTSD is also understandable..he should get help!! I have some friends at home who think it is funny to watch me roll on the ground when they come in the shop behind me & slap the shop table with a sledge...or slam a dumpster lid just to watch me respond. I hope since you are still in the military that you don't do another tour here or anywhere else. 2 tours & you've done your duty to country!!! JDI

The bigger bombs here are new. In the last 7 or 8 months. The government shouldnt be able to do whatever they want just because they are the government. As for the trainers. They arnet aloud to fly that low anyway and if I ever has a loss greater than mere annoyance I would file a claim and the government would have to pay. Of course that coudl all be avoided if they just did what they were supposed to and stayed were theyw ere supposed to. I know my cows look good, but if they want to see them that bad I will send them a picture. ( I tell my wife its becasue they want to get a look at her. 8) )

If there was a go cart track next to your pasture when you bought your place and then they turned it into a formula one drag strip and told you not to complain because there was a racetrack there when you moved in, and if you didnt like it you could move, what would you do.

Planes from Carswell used to fly over when I was a kid and it was really loud but you got used to it. In fact, when the base was closed it really wasn't noticable for a while. It became a part of life. I think it is a Joint Reserve Base now. Used to have the big bombers fly by every few minutes.

JDI,
Did you ever tell those ding dongs that they are not funny? :mad:
That is not funny.
I worked with 2 Vietnam vets on a rock crusher and some smart alec threw a full can of ether in the burn barrel, needless to say both guys hit the deck. If the rest of us ever found out who it was, there would of been some nasty jokes coming their way. None of us laughed at them.
3MR had a friend over there in Iraq. Every time I see him I always ask him how he is doing.
If your friend won't go to get help there is not much that can be done. I sure hope he goes though.

3MR, No we don't know each other so ignore away if it makes you happy. I do know this though despite your military record and longevity in the military you sound like someone who is very disgruntled with the Armed Forces. Have a great day.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2x7fdxio said:
3MR, No we don't know each other so ignore away if it makes you happy. I do know this though despite your military record and longevity in the military you sound like someone who is very disgruntled with the Armed Forces. Have a great day.

Im not disgruntled with the Armed Forces. Im disgruntled with the current Army. You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. Right now we have a problem. The problem is not the war in Iraq. The problem is merely magnified by the war in Iraq. Unless you are currently in the Army you have no basis to stand on. If you are currently in the Army then I would be happy to discuss it with you.

This was a quote from a high ranking officer who momentarily thought I actually cared what he thought. right before I enlightened him.

"Chief, you were wrong. It doesnt matter if you were right, you were wrong because you upset the General. You should have told him what he wanted to hear" That is an actual honest to God quote. I will remember it forever.

I recieved a medal a short time ago over Soldiers who deserved it much more than me. I know they deserved it more than me becasue I wrote the award request putting them in for it. They didn tget it and I did. The command made a big deal about presenting the medal. I accepted it, but made a statement about others deservign it more then me. That they should have recieved the recognition and I was recieving it intheir honor.

I was chastised by an unamed commander, third from the top of the command, who said my speach was unnaceptable an din bad taste because it wasnt any of my business why they didnt get the medal. I know exaclty why they didnt get the recognition they deserved. Medals were approved by rank over actual valor.

If you dont see a problem with that then you are part of the problem. The reason the U.S Miitary is the supreme fighting force it is today is because we are not a bunch of yes men.

When you start rewarding yes men, thats when you lose the fight. But I guess it doesnt matter, because the yes men told you we won!

Rank is how much you get paid, not how much you are worth!

PS: Mahoney - How long did you serve?

3MR":2ut3bh5c said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2ut3bh5c said:

Im not disgruntled with the Armed Forces. Im disgruntled with the current Army. You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. Right now we have a problem. The problem is not the war in Iraq. The problem is merely magnified by the war in Iraq. Unless you are currently in the Army you have no basis to stand on. If you are currently in the Army then I would be happy to discuss it with you.

This was a quote from a high ranking officer who momentarily thought I actually cared what he thought. right before I enlightened him.

"Chief, you were wrong. It doesnt matter if you were right, you were wrong because you upset the General. You should have told him what he wanted to hear"

If you dont see a problem with that then you are part of the problem. The reason the U.S Miitary is the supreme fighting force it is today is because we are not a bunch of yes men.

When you start rewarding yes men, thats when you lose the fight. But I guess it doesnt matter, because the yes men told you we won!

Rank is how much you get paid, not how much you are worth!
If you are disgruntled with the Army maybe you should take your twenty plus years and consider retirement. We ARE the Greatest FIGHTING MACHINE in the world and didnt get to be the greatest by bucking the system.

IM sorry I was editing my post while you posted.

How long did you serve.

And yes we did become th greatest by bucking the sytem. Thats how America became great fromt he very begining. we were kicked out of every civilized coutnry int he known world at the time. Then we came over here and decided we knew what was better for us than they did. We have been bucking the systme form the get go. Every great general in modern times has bucked the establishment.

Im sure guys like you would be happy for me to take my 20 and go, but them that woudl make me part of the problem. I finally am in a position were I can be part of the solution. I think I might just have to stick around a while longer, sorry.

I noticed you said WE are the greatest fighting machine.

The "we" would indicate you are still, or at a minimum used to be, part of the machine. Is that the case

I used " We " as a nation. To answer your question,yes I did serve. I was not/am not a lifer. My tour was in Viet Nam as a Navy combat corpsman. I saw enough horror in my enlistment.

Latest posts