This takes the cake!

Help Support CattleToday:

MrBilly

Reaction score
I have an electric feeder line made of high tensile wire running about 500 ft down a fenceline where I then can hook in temporary fencing in the winter when I rotationally graze rye. I had turned off the electric to the line a while back. Yesterday, I went out and noticed that the high tensile wire was mostly out of the pin insulators that are attached to the t-posts. After further investigation, I noticed that many of the pins were gone, and those that remained had been chewed up. A critter, I suspect a squirel, ate some, chewed on the others and decided they were not very nutritious.

I will be replacing the pins. I will also turn the electric on to the line so who ever returns for seconds receives a little jolt.

Any other ideas?

Billy

I have a couple of Border Collie puppies that chew on everything including polywire and insulators. One of them tried to chew on a hot wire around the chicken coop. Problem solved! I'm not sure how the other one will learn. Hopefully, in a less traumatic way.

I will be replacing the pins. I will also turn the electric on to the line so who ever returns for seconds receives a little jolt.

It does seem like a waste and a bit of a pain sometines (pun intended) to leave them on all the time. But I can't recall ever having to repair damage to a live fence caused by an animal intentionally messing with it.

Latest posts