This is why I hate Heifers.

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Had one calf today on the side of the creek calf slide in and drown.
I have lost them every way under the sun through the years.
She just bought a ticket out of here.

That sucks CB. I too am not a fan of heifers. We had 6 out of 7 do really well this fall but that 7th turned bat shyte crazy and didn't milk. She got wheels and I lost my a$$ on her.

We've got too much thicket here. After being advised by folks on this board way back when, I have recently started putting my first calf heifers up in a small lot that adjoins the corrals when they are looking ready. I can't have them running off into the honey locust and briar jungle and getting in a mess.

LauraleesFarm":213jkl5k said:
We've got too much thicket here. After being advised by folks on this board way back when, I have recently started putting my first calf heifers up in a small lot that adjoins the corrals when they are looking ready. I can't have them running off into the honey locust and briar jungle and getting in a mess.

If they can't produce a live healthy calf unassisted every year they take the place of the calf on the trailer.
I need a better cow and one will be here by March or April already shopping for her replacement.

Sorry to here that. We lost one calf this fall from a first calf heifer. I checked on the cow herd just at first light and there was the calf, dead and still soaking wet. After that, I was checking them three times a night at 3 hour intervals when I thought a heifer was close to calving.

Backbone Ranch":9pabji98 said:
Sorry to here that. We lost one calf this fall from a first calf heifer. I checked on the cow herd just at first light and there was the calf, dead and still soaking wet. After that, I was checking them three times a night at 3 hour intervals when I thought a heifer was close to calving.

Had a weak moment bought a few heifers this year. This is what I get when I break my rules.
I haven't lost a calf in years. The last calf I lost was a breech inoculated the cow and fed the buzzards with that one.
This is what happens when senility starts setting in.
No one to blame but myself need to go to Ace and buy a head puller to get my head out of my ass.
Two down three to go. Might loose the calfs on the other three they can ride with the other heifer.

Caustic Burno":rlbfhxz0 said:
Backbone Ranch":rlbfhxz0 said:

Had a weak moment bought a few heifers this year. This is what I get when I break my rules.
I haven't lost a calf in years. The last calf I lost was a breech inoculated the cow and fed the buzzards with that one.
No one to blame but myself need to go to Ace and buy a head puller to get my head out of my ass.
Two down three to go. Might loose the calfs on the other three they can ride with the other heifer.

CB, I have a neighbor that had a 16 year old cow that had twins close to a pond/tank bank and they both drowned. Its not just heifers.

Cabo":3jceh3kw said:
Caustic Burno":3jceh3kw said:
Backbone Ranch":3jceh3kw said:

CB, I have a neighbor that had a 16 year old cow that had twins close to a pond/tank bank and they both drowned. Its not just heifers.

Yep I had a heifer do the same thing last year. Kept the calf alive for three days and lost him anyway. :cry2: B&G

Cabo I lost one in a stock tank 20 years ago.
Cow had the calf it slid down the bank and disappeared.
Seen her down by the tank lowing and figured out what had happened, couple days later up popped the calf.

Caustic Burno":2h6p6zip said:
Seen her down by the tank lowing and figured out what had happened, couple days later up popped the calf.
I lose at least one in a pond every year. As far as heifers go on one group of 40 we're 9 for 9. On the other group of 20 we're 3 for six. Never saw the first one, the second was eaten in its bed at 3 days old, then we had 3 live ones and the last was born dead.

Well CB if you're gonna start ranching cattle the Tom Lasater way , you might as well put em all on the trailer. Crud, I had very mature cow calve one in the water trough, luckily I was standing there when she did it. As we both know **** happens, now if she didn't bring a calf in next year, that's a different story.

its not just heifers that will dropp a calf in the pool or creek seasoned cows will do it to.

bigbull338":2p7v7fki said:
its not just heifers that will dropp a calf in the pool or creek seasoned cows will do it to.

This dumb redneck is aware that cows are known to do it as well and have had it happen.
I am just not willing to feed one that stupid.

Caustic Burno":hagm36i8 said:

I had one calve under the pecan trees. I happened to be in the pasture so I hung out to watch. Everything was fine. Calf kept trying to get up and stumbled back down. Kept thinking the little thing would get her footing. She didn't. She wallered 100 feet to the pond near the pecan trees and went down the bank. I stripped down and went in after her in the middle of winter. Carried her up the bank and put her in the back of the truck. Cow was upset and wanting to fight all the way. Hauled the calf to the middle of the pasture. Dried her off with a towel best I could and got her on her feet. If I hadn't been there, that calf would have been a loss.

Latest posts