This is what I am talking about

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
This is a 50% Balancer bull calf out of my #61 cow. He just turned 5 months old. I am amazed every time the hindquarter that a Gelbvieh bull will put on a calf.
IMG00223-20110727-1951.jpg

There's no doubt there's muscle, but I don't see anything more than any heavy muscled bull (of any breed) could sire. :?

He's a real nice calf Hoss. I know what you mean about the butts they are sure nice to look at sometimes.

Heck I have always been a butt man maybe that's why I ended up with all these darned GV's

BTW CPL is right any heavily muscled bull of any breed could put butts on em like this

IMG_1102_3_.jpg

or this
IMG00059-20090811-1539_edited.jpg

CPL":1deqktul said:
There's no doubt there's muscle, but I don't see anything more than any heavy muscled bull (of any breed) could sire. :?

I'm not sure about that "any breed" part. I have seen some heavy muscled Jersey bulls that threw very Jersey looking calves :lol: My comment was more of a blanket statement. It seems that the GV bulls put allot of hindquarter on a calf consistantly. Sure you can find bulls from most beef breeds that will do that but not as consistant as GV or maybe Limi. You see a few funnel butted GV bulls but very few. They have their shortcomings but I think it is hard to beat the GV X Angus.

He might be a great calf, but from that view, and being a close-up photo, I can't tell how thick he really is. I do know that Red Angus will give you a good butt if you select for it. Take a look at these photos from our ranch.

This photo was taken the day he was weaned.

This is a bull we are using quite hard

Here is another bull calf while on the cow.

come on Brian...You call those butts?................... :lol2: No one would argue that you raise nice cattle, and those are fine examples.

Now come on everyone let's see your butt pictures.

Hey I'm impressed enuf with all the a$$es I see on here..... (JK! ..... sorta!) :lol2: ;-)

seriously, I have truly seen some fine-butted cattle on here and actually not too many funnel-butts except the ones
that were posted for an example.

:tiphat:

Brian, I LOVE Red Angus. Those are some awesome examples. I bet you have that big metal fence up in the background to keep folks from seeing and stealing those critters :cboy: Very nice!

BRG":vroqivdn said:
He might be a great calf, but from that view, and being a close-up photo, I can't tell how thick he really is. I do know that Red Angus will give you a good butt if you select for it. Take a look at these photos from our ranch.

This photo was taken the day he was weaned.

This is a bull we are using quite hard

Here is another bull calf while on the cow.

I like the Red Angus as well but they are so hard to find around here. Would like to have a pasture full of Red Balancer or Red Simangus

Santas and Duhram Reds":1fj1y1cd said:
Heard a judge comment on Saturday where he said a bull had too much muscling for his legs and feet to hold up for the long term. Thought he would fall apart as he aged.

Hmmm. :? This is an interesting commentary. It would be informative if the Judge could be convinced to explain exactly what dictates "too much muscling" - such as - compared to bone size and structure for the age of the bull, or the particular breed in question, or what "...fall apart" means - EXACTLY!

It becomes very easy for a Judge to remark, or give 'reasons', for one characteristic or another when justifying his placements for a class of animals during a show or a demonstration, and the handlers and the cattle are stressed, and the spectators are bone-weary and the seats are hard, and the air is hot and sticky, and the sound system is either too loud or not loud enough, and the - and the - and the - - -BUT - - - these shows are for more than just the purpose of determining which animal(s) are better than their contemporaries! The functional objective should be to TEACH beef producers the necessary details of how to determine quality of individual animals according to the class of cattle for which they are being judged. "...fall apart" does not seem to come under that catagory!

Just MHO.

DOC HARRIS

I think "fall apart" is the widely used layman's term to describe what many see happen to a bull raised as a show bull when he's unloaded into a pasture of cattle and expected to "be fruitful and multiply". ;-)

TexasBred":1emly0yg said:
I think "fall apart" is the widely used layman's term to describe what many see happen to a bull raised as a show bull when he's unloaded into a pasture of cattle and expected to "be fruitful and multiply". ;-)

TB-

I understand, just as you and most "breeders" understand, what the "widely-used" layman's term(s) mean. My points that I am attempting to express here are that the purposes of judges are NOT to just place cattle in decreasing orders of HIS assummed orders of importance, but to explain and teach all interested persons the operative reasons and justifications for the placements.

There is often a great variance between what one sees as acceptable genetics and appearances in cattle (Maternal OR Terminal), and what one understands to be optimal to achieve the ultimate goal of PROFIT!

DOC HARRIS

Doc - you are correct about placing & teaching.
And if you have ever watched a show being judged by a GOOD judge, you would sit there for hours on end (on hard chairs/benches) to hear each and every comment he makes.
Granted, there are probably more poor judges than there are good ones. But - when you get to show under a GOOD judge, it is very informative & pleasurable.
I am at awe some times at a good judge. You can shut your eyes & SEE the animal he is describing & open your eyes & it will match the animal in the ring - not always the case under some judges. Some "know" the right terms - they just don't match the animal.
We are fortunate to be having a GREAT judge for the NYSF this year. :banana:

Personally, in this context, I took fall apart as the bull would not be able to travel rather than a pushed to hard and then fall apart scenario. It is a loose term that makes sense in it context but without context can mean virtually anything.

edit: as a whole, a lot of people were not pleased with the judge. My understanding is that he judged the simmies also and they were not pleased with him either. He was a judge that did not practice what he preached in my opinion. He opened the show talking about moderation and almost every class the moderate heifers were middle of the class and he would describe them as the most moderate heifer in the class but lacks the performance or power of the heifers above her.

Latest posts