This is what I am talking about

Help Support CattleToday:

"Generally" when a judge says he is too heavy muscled for his legs and will fall apart - they are referring to - for an example:
picture a Belgian Blue bubble butted with the finest bones & tiny little deer foot - THAT animal probably will structurally "fall apart" with age or use.
This is an extreme example - but you can "picture" what I mean.

Here's another butt shot:
Mastercardbutt4.jpg

Mastercardbutt9pix.jpg

When I see a very nice muscled bull, and someone makes the comment that he is too light boned; too light boned for what?
Too light boned to be run through a processing plant? Too light boned to hold up to what? I am sure he will be used for AI'ing. I have never seen a bull collapse in a pasture because his bones were too small. You don't need the bone to sell, you are not losing anything by having less bone. The bull's fertility usually runs out before anything else does, unless you wanted to make a pet out of him.
His daughters are not too light boned to hold up other bones.
They were docking the larger breed boned cattle
I will post this bull again, and he is light boned. Someone made the comment about they thought he was light boned, and he is. But the bull weighed 2475 lbs at the time, and is still doing fine. He was an extremely easy keeper, and he needed to be put on a diet. We had him long enough, that every cow we have is a daughter, so he has been sold, which I am still sad about. He has had no feet problem, etc. His heifers and offspring are normally boned. This bull was the best animal we bought as far as making a change in our herd because he changed the volume of their barrels, length, butts, and docility. One thing that I liked about his shoulders, they were a little narrower than most bulls right where most are the widest, so that it only made a gentle curve as you looked from the front. All of his babies came out with any assistance If I could ever find one like him again with the same bone structure, with the meat he carries, I would grab him up as fast as I could.
Chuckie
http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64474&p=753468&hilit=Boomer#p753468

Chuckie - that's a real meat wagon. Was he criticized for being too light boned? If I HAD to find something wrong, I could nit-pick & say he was a little light boned. But, for an Angus, he looks about average - except for the MUSCLE - he has loads of that.
Many people "expect" a bull to have bulging shoulders, but smooth shoulders is best indication for CE.

Chuckie":29jz3psv said:
When I see a very nice muscled bull, and someone makes the comment that he is too light boned; too light boned for what?
Too light boned to be run through a processing plant? Too light boned to hold up to what? I am sure he will be used for AI'ing. I have never seen a bull collapse in a pasture because his bones were too small. You don't need the bone to sell, you are not losing anything by having less bone. The bull's fertility usually runs out before anything else does, unless you wanted to make a pet out of him.
His daughters are not too light boned to hold up other bones.
They were docking the larger breed boned cattle
I will post this bull again, and he is light boned. Someone made the comment about they thought he was light boned, and he is. But the bull weighed 2475 lbs at the time, and is still doing fine. He was an extremely easy keeper, and he needed to be put on a diet. We had him long enough, that every cow we have is a daughter, so he has been sold, which I am still sad about. He has had no feet problem, etc. His heifers and offspring are normally boned. This bull was the best animal we bought as far as making a change in our herd because he changed the volume of their barrels, length, butts, and docility. One thing that I liked about his shoulders, they were a little narrower than most bulls right where most are the widest, so that it only made a gentle curve as you looked from the front. All of his babies came out with any assistance If I could ever find one like him again with the same bone structure, with the meat he carries, I would grab him up as fast as I could.
Chuckie
http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64474&p=753468&hilit=Boomer#p753468

Light bones doesn't necessarily mean weak legs.
I have seen many "heavy boned" cattle end up cripples with broken down pasterns in a matter of 3-4 short years.
Thickness of bone doesn't really matter in my brothers herd of +/- 80 head, the ones that prove poor are culled and their genes don't get passed on.
On the average, I would say his cattle have moderate bone and much muscle

Latest posts