this is my son's first of two steer

Help Support CattleToday:

lilfarmgirl

Reaction score
Here is the first steer that my son bought for next years fair. What do you think?
calves_015.jpg

calves_009.jpg

Looks like he could use more depth and just a little bit of bone. Does his back slope down like that, or is that just the hair because it looks like there might not be hair growin there or somethin. Id like to know how old he is too

He's much better than the black one! I'd like some more depth on him but other than that he looks pretty good. Finished well I think you'll be happy with the outcome. Good Luck! ;-)

Actually, I like him. He's rough right now, but I think he'll do good finished out. Decent top line, and looks like he'll fill out good.

Good luck!

the slope is his hair. His weight is around 400 pounds. He is 7 months old. He is timid and we are watching to make sure he eats around the other calves. They each have their own bowls and we seperate him from the other two. This one is much bigger framed then his one last year, I am hoping he finishes well.

Lilfarmgirl

Looks to me like all he needs is groceries, and TLC. If your Market show is around September, and he gains 3 pounds per day, he will finish just right. His frame should support 1300+ just fine.

When is your weigh in?
Judging by how well you fed the black one...you will do just fine with this one.
Good Luck to your son.

we weigh in the second week of August. He is finally eating all of his food and getting use to the other calves. I think we are going to try to get him into a couple of shows this spring for practice. Maybe he will get lucky in a couple of weeks with his steer pool steer. We shall see.

Lilfarmgirl

I was asking about the first weigh in for fat steers. Ours is in December or early january. August sounds like the weigh in at the fair.
If you can get him in enough condition this winter you ought to try some of the BEST shows. Good experience for the kids and the calves. If you can prove he is shorthorn, even a %, he will do better than in the crossbred classes.

I did not know they had a first weigh in. I do not have papers, but I do know who the sire and darm are. I believe his 4-h leader is going to take him to the shows, and teach him how to show. Its different then in steer pool.

Lilfarmgirl

Latest posts